Home

MLB '08: The Show Review

This is a discussion on MLB '08: The Show Review within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-16-2008, 12:03 AM   #49
Banned

OVR: 3
Re: MLB '08: The Show Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim416
Reading comprehension. I didn't call YOU a cry baby. Read it again. It was rhetorical because that's exactly what the devs would get from a bunch of members. Notice I said that I had PM'd them? Not start a b#@ch session on the boards with guys who have been more than kind to us.

The dead horse was directed at you though.

Why don't you start a I DISAGREE WITH THE REVIEW BECAUSE OF ONLINE thread?
Would you be kind enough to answer the question instead of fixating on what I like or disagree with...Thanks

BTW..in case you missed it...THis was/is the question:

"If Franchise/Season mode locked up and was unplayable what would the score for this game be???"
Old 03-16-2008, 12:07 AM   #50
Banned

OVR: 60

Have a good life.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:13 AM   #51
Banned

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim416
Have a good life.
My point exactly...Check & Mate
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2008, 12:16 AM   #52
Banned

OVR: 60

Yeah, you're good.

All that I've done in my life, put into a corner by.............y_o_u.

Now that's life changing.
Old 03-16-2008, 04:15 AM   #53
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldschool17
If this same exact game had GREAT online play but unplayable FRanchise/season modes what would a fair score be?????
It's not unplayable though...

Anyway I think even if some of the online is iffy there's a lot else there in terms of uploading sliders and all the MLB news and so forth.

All a good review can be is an educated opinion. In terms of if you already own the game and then read a review the best it can do is: hopefully write something in such a way that it makes the reader realize something about the game, or helps define a feeling the gamer is having while playing the game -- hence resulting in the "oh that's why I like it so much" moment or the "I never thought of it that way" moment. In terms of people reading a review who haven't bought the game, the best a review can do is: hopefully explain in such a way what's new and different and explain why the game is so good or bad or somewhere in the middle -- pointing things out in various parts of the game hence allowing people to make their own judgments about whether or not the game is worth it.

That's how I look at it anyway.

Last edited by ChaseB; 03-16-2008 at 04:19 AM.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:52 AM   #54
MVP

videobastard's Arena

OVR: 14

I wish in the future that the ratings after games would be more accurate. Say you finish a 9 inning game with a online opponent. Then that should eliminate the ratings for pulls/dissconnects because the game was completed.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:07 AM   #55
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldschool17

"If Franchise/Season mode locked up and was unplayable what would the score for this game be???"
As I've stated twice already, Franchise mode is the bread and butter of most sports titles. Online play is not. A review should then be based on THAT curve! If Franchise mode was completely busted, then it should get judged accordingly. Unlike Franchise mode, online play does not make up a large portion of what this game has to offer. But at the same time, online play is not "unplayable" either...so that argument won't work. There are people having no trouble with it at all.

To give this game a 6 strictly based on online play is ridiculous. The meat and potatoes, bread and butter works fine. Again, you're assuming that most people put most of their value for a sports title in the online portion. Yes, I realize millions of people play online....but the majority of people (especially here at OS) find Franchise mode to be THE most valuable and engaging mode the game has to offer. Not trying to be a smart arse here, but maybe you should take your debate to a place like IGN, which is filled with hordes of online gamer kids that would agree with you. You're probably not going to convince the Franchise Mode crowd that resides here. I see absolutely no reason to give this game a 6 based on some online lag.

Last edited by SoxChamp; 03-16-2008 at 10:16 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2008, 10:11 AM   #56
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxChamp
As I've stated twice already, Franchise mode is the bread and butter of most sports titles. Online play is not. A review should then be based on THAT curve! If Franchise mode was completely busted, then it should get judged accordingly. Unlike Franchise mode, online play does not make up a large portion of what this game has to offer. But at the same time, online play is not "unplayable" either...so that argument won't work. There are people having no trouble with it at all.

To give this game a 6 strictly based on online play is ridiculous. The meat and potatoes, bread and butter works fine.
Sox....forget it.

I was going to reply to him AGAIN(even though he asked the same question I asked HIM...but you have kindly and correctly supplied the answer right here)...but then I thought...
"What could I better use this time for?" and I walked outside to my vehicle.......and put my head through the windshield just to see what it felt like.
I can honestly say it was a pretty good alternative!

M.K.
Knight165

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »