Home

Everybody's a Critic: Major League Baseball 2K8 Edition

This is a discussion on Everybody's a Critic: Major League Baseball 2K8 Edition within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-10-2008, 07:54 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Everybody's a Critic: Major League Baseball 2K8 Edition

Operation Sports' Chase Becotte just posted our first Metareview, a new feature at OS, looking at how Major League Baseball 2k8 is doing with the critics.

Quote:
No single opinion should be taken as the end all be all, so at OS we want to be a hub for readers to get a wide range of opinions. So in addition to the info we provide via our review -- and the info the forum members bring to the table -- we also want to provide some excerpts from various MLB 2K8 reviews. That way people have not only the OS review and forums, but also some other interesting opinions from various types of gaming media outlets. An educated consumer is a happy consumer after all.
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2008, 09:48 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
How can someone say that MLB 2k8 "lacks authenticity". Its the first game to ever use the analog stick to pitch, and (I believe) throw. If MLB 2k8 isn't "authentic" I'm not sure what is.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:26 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 10
Re: Everybody's a Critic: Major League Baseball 2k8 Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosensgo101
How can someone say that MLB 2k8 "lacks authenticity". Its the first game to ever use the analog stick to pitch, and (I believe) throw. If MLB 2k8 isn't "authentic" I'm not sure what is.

MVP NCAA 05 uses analog to hit, throw.
MVP NCAA 06 uses analog to pitch.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:31 PM   #4
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

I don't even think that's how one would use "authenticity" as an example. When I think of authenticity, I think of players looking and moving like themselves, stadiums being properly represented, and realistic broadcast-like presentatoin. I only think the first item on that list has been done very well, though they seemed to have toned down some faces this year.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 03-10-2008, 10:34 PM   #5
Banned

bsb13's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbx34
MVP NCAA 05 uses analog to hit, throw.
MVP NCAA 06 uses analog to pitch.
There was no MVP NCAA 05.....only MVP NCAA 06 and 07.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-11-2008, 12:49 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Everybody's a Critic: Major League Baseball 2K8 Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosensgo101
Have ballplayers in the post steroid age moved to analog sticks instead of bats and gloves?
Old 03-11-2008, 08:19 AM   #7
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46
Like Blzer said, authenticy includes the look and emotion on the field from the players to the fans.

Right now, the only thing MLB2k8 does right in terms of authenticity is the signature stuff - walkups, stances, pitching motions, how uniforms are worn, etc.

Their crowd and atmosphere is still not authentic to the MLB experience. And the presentation and announcing is behind that of even the Triple Play series.

I mean, MLB2k8 doesn't even have every single team uniform available in their game.

These are the little things that they need to have to give people a reason to overlook their problems.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:41 AM   #8
Banned

Peter_OS's Arena

OVR: 20
The crowd atmosphere is poorly done. When the home team scores or makes a big play, the crowd most of the times will stay silent. It really kills the atmosphere in the game. 2K needs to fix this.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »