Home

Major League Baseball 2K8 360 Impressions

This is a discussion on Major League Baseball 2K8 360 Impressions within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-08-2008, 10:59 AM   #1761
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Major League Baseball 2K8 360 Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkEagle18
I think all the naysayers and negative comments were very premature and though I admit some problems, I think this game will prove to be a fine one.
Yeah, that is often the case here. Folks tend to be pretty jacked up when a game first comes out, and opinions are pretty polorized and exaggerated.

Things tend to be a bit more objective after a week or two. The haters have moved on, and you also get some trends in the game that you can't notice in just a couple games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-08-2008, 11:11 AM   #1762
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16

I'm enjoying the game, but I wanted to vent/rant.

[rant]
One thing I wanted to vent about with sports console gaming is I'm sick and tired of games being released so gosh darn early nowdays. It's stil 20 degrees here and out comes two baseball titles. I would be VERY surprised if many people actually start a franchise before opening day.

The Show benefits from their game only needing to fix some things and enhance the graphics, commentary, etc... MLB 2k series went under the knife once again this year and I scratch my head wondering who they paid to come in and test their game? You have to be a moron to NOT to notice the framerate and choppy presentation in the first 5 minutes of playing the game. Did they tell 2k this and the big wigs said, "We don't have time to fix those issues"? I just don't get it.

Is is absolutely necessessary to release the game the same day as The Show? Would they really lose tons of money if it came out on opening day? I like the game, but the finished product reeks of incompletion.

You turn off the ticker and it still displays (I know there is a workaround), commentary at the beginning of each game gets cut off as well as replays during the game. What happened to the player highlights from a previous inning when the player is up to bat again? I just don't get this early release bs!

I would bet $1000 that another month of tweaking/fixing some of the code in this game would have done wonders for it.

For me, 2k is lucky there is enough in 2k8 for me to keep my $400 in my pocket.. but I just don't get why more and more sport games seem to release way to early.

I will tell you this, once consoles start installing full games on their HD's, we'll be back to the pc days where games will require release day patches before they are playable - heck, we are almost there now.
[/rant]
Old 03-08-2008, 11:46 AM   #1763
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah

[rant]
One thing I wanted to vent about with sports console gaming is I'm sick and tired of games being released so gosh darn early nowdays. It's stil 20 degrees here and out comes two baseball titles. I would be VERY surprised if many people actually start a franchise before opening day.

The Show benefits from their game only needing to fix some things and enhance the graphics, commentary, etc... MLB 2k series went under the knife once again this year and I scratch my head wondering who they paid to come in and test their game? You have to be a moron to NOT to notice the framerate and choppy presentation in the first 5 minutes of playing the game. Did they tell 2k this and the big wigs said, "We don't have time to fix those issues"? I just don't get it.

Is is absolutely necessessary to release the game the same day as The Show? Would they really lose tons of money if it came out on opening day? I like the game, but the finished product reeks of incompletion.

You turn off the ticker and it still displays (I know there is a workaround), commentary at the beginning of each game gets cut off as well as replays during the game. What happened to the player highlights from a previous inning when the player is up to bat again? I just don't get this early release bs!

I would bet $1000 that another month of tweaking/fixing some of the code in this game would have done wonders for it.

For me, 2k is lucky there is enough in 2k8 for me to keep my $400 in my pocket.. but I just don't get why more and more sport games seem to release way to early.

I will tell you this, once consoles start installing full games on their HD's, we'll be back to the pc days where games will require release day patches before they are playable - heck, we are almost there now.
[/rant]
Well said. Obviously a unfinished product was released. I beleive the patch was in the works before release, because they were sure on top of it quickly.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:36 PM   #1764
Titans Era has begun.

HealyMonster's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:

[rant]

[/rant]

agreed and i just dont understand why they didnt leave the garbage that happens at the end of the game out. i mean its supposed to some replays and commetary but all i get is a stuttering pile of crap that i have to press the button to get out of for fear of my xbox crashing out or freezing or something. why not leave it out ofthe game? idk i think the brains behind this game doesnt have a clue. when the wrong people are making important decisions you get bad/unfinished product regardless of what your selling, in this case id bet thats the problem with 2k baseball.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:02 PM   #1765
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
[/rant]
Mizzou, this is my biggest problem with 'next-gen' gaming. I've chosen console gaming over PC gaming because I just want to pop a game in and play. But now, that's becoming increasingly difficult to do.

Not only to some games require instant patching. But now, some PS3 games require mandatory 5 gig install processes that take 20 minutes. It's a joke.

Developers and console manufacturers are losing sight of what console gaming was about in the first place. Going to the store, buying a game, and playing the heck out it instantly. Now we're waiting for patches, turning off graphic effects to get a smoother experience, etc.

Hell, it's become PC Gaming Lite.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-08-2008, 01:44 PM   #1766
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanrfoley
Mizzou, this is my biggest problem with 'next-gen' gaming. I've chosen console gaming over PC gaming because I just want to pop a game in and play. But now, that's becoming increasingly difficult to do.

Not only to some games require instant patching. But now, some PS3 games require mandatory 5 gig install processes that take 20 minutes. It's a joke.

Developers and console manufacturers are losing sight of what console gaming was about in the first place. Going to the store, buying a game, and playing the heck out it instantly. Now we're waiting for patches, turning off graphic effects to get a smoother experience, etc.

Hell, it's become PC Gaming Lite.
Agreed.

I fully support Ben as I know he knows baseball gaming, I just wish some more development time would have went into this game. They have a great game once you get past all the goofy issues that to me, could have been cleaned up before release. (I could be wrong here, I'm not a programmer)

I do think one more month would have equalled at least 1.5-2.5 points higher in reviews. Not sure if that also means tons of revenue lost though?
Old 03-08-2008, 01:47 PM   #1767
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

As you become better with the pitching system you'll see more CPU hit variety.

My last game I pitched with Dan Haren and the CPU grounded into more groundballs than flyballs. Had lots of assists with Hudson and Drew.

Still gave up a few homeruns but I never felt cheated. Fielder did pull a pitch a tad bit outside but looking at the replay he got his bat head out and the pitch was middle-out instead of outside corner. It was realistic.

And Cameron golfed a low pitch but it was a changeup inside that stayed a bit up higher than ht should have been and he only hit it into the fifth or so row.

In another game I finally hit my first two homeruns (switched to Classic hitting for the time being to get hitting down first). Very rewarding homerun I hit with Corey Hart. Inside fastball that I turned on and it felt natural.

If you like pitch counts then jack up the take sliders (I wouldn't recommend anything ever be 0 or 100. I just think that makes things go out of whack). But I jacked take everyting (balls and strikes, ahead, behind) and the CPU will definitely let me get into a nice duel with them. Threw 80+ pitches with Haren in 6 innings.

Honestly, I think if you like pitch counts then you have to keep yourself from wanting to throw strikes all the time. I prefer taking the catcher's advice because it takes me away from the habit of wanting to avoid the walk. If the catcher wants that 3-1 pitch outside corner then I'm going for it. Sometimes the CPU will swing, sometimes they won't. And now I walked them and it's an added challenge for me.

Still trying to get the CPU to throw more balls but I'm convinced after a few games that the more I struggle with the bat the more strikes the CPU will throw. Which in a lot of ways is smart. Also, I'm interested in finding out if the CPU will pitch to the score. Why throw balls if the score is 9-0?
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Old 03-08-2008, 02:04 PM   #1768
Banned

arichzona's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:

[rant]

[/rant]
Great point for all sport games.....I could have easily waited one more month as I am only one week into watching my Cubs play out here for spring ball. Granted, my little bits of free time between work, family, and the (the real) Cubs is now consumed with this game. A few tweaks here and there and I am really having a lot of fun with it.......and I thought I would be playing 2k7 until next year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »