Home

Major League Baseball 2K8 360 Impressions

This is a discussion on Major League Baseball 2K8 360 Impressions within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-07-2008, 11:41 AM   #1705
Banned

OVR: 9
Re: Major League Baseball 2K8 360 Impressions

I played 2k7 last night, right after playing 2k8. With the exception of how unis fit on players this year, 2k7 is superior looking to 2k8. What is up with the flashing around home plate when you bat? The cut scenes and batter walk ups are so much better in 2k7, why did they change so much that was good last year? in 2k8 the batters seem to be a bit robotic at the plate, especially after swinging and missing or fouling off a ball. In 2k7 the batters reactions at the plate are much smoother and realistic. In 2k8 the player covering a base and than sprinting back to his position when the play is over just looks bad. Not much fluidity in between outs. Players skating to the bag to cover it, herky jerky running, herky jerky positioning themselves under flyballs. It just seems unfinished. Not sure what happened this year. I can't wait for Brinkmans first post release interview, should be interesting.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-07-2008, 11:48 AM   #1706
Hall Of Fame

Heelfan71's Arena

OVR: 44

2k7 looks better, 2k8 plays better. Still need lots of slider tweaking for 2k8 though. Wish they would let you do a practice swing before the pitch is thrown too.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:50 AM   #1707
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

Is the final version similar to the demo?

I played the demo this morning, and it was absolutely terrible. Granted, I didn't give the game much of a chance since I quit after 2 innings, but the framerate was pretty bad. It dipped on every ball hit in play. Not only that, but the animations were awkward, and the transitional animations were a little choppy.

It didn't help that I was thrown out at 2b on a gapper to the wall by Manny. The 2B caught the ball, never turned to face Manny, and never applied the tag. I was still out. Also, I have no idea how the ump knew I was out because his back was to the play. He was still staring at 1B. Yikes.

The new pitching model is pretty creative. I like it.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:55 AM   #1708
Content Creator

bluengold34_OS's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully

I played the demo this morning, and it was absolutely terrible. Granted, I didn't give the game much of a chance since I quit after 2 innings, but the framerate was pretty bad. It dipped on every ball hit in play. Not only that, but the animations were awkward, and the transitional animations were a little choppy.

It didn't help that I was thrown out at 2b on a gapper to the wall by Manny. The 2B caught the ball, never turned to face Manny, and never applied the tag. I was still out. Also, I have no idea how the ump knew I was out because his back was to the play. He was still staring at 1B. Yikes.

Wow, thats a whole lot of badness there Sully. I run into a few quirks like that here and there, but there is nothing that makes me feel like it plays sketchier then last year's version. IMO, they really tightened things up a lot this year, and once they patch the vip issue, this game should be a pretty solid sim and blast to play.

That's just me, there seems to be a lot of people who hate it, and I just don't get. I was really hard on last year's game and I by no means am a 2k fanboy, but I am impressed with the game this year ( minus the stutter )
Old 03-07-2008, 11:58 AM   #1709
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to turn off all the meters, circles, flashing lights, ect and still use the new pitching system? If not, can the meters be turned off at all while using any other pitching methods still in the game?

I don't see why they continue to use all of these meters for pitching, throwing, ect. Why not allow us to rely on the animations of player models for timing? Assuming they fix the frame rate, this will be the main thing that stops me from buying the game.

MLB 2K team, take notes from the NBA 2K team.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:00 PM   #1710
Hall Of Fame

Jistic's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully

Most people that love the Show seem to hate this game, so you'd probably be better off passing, or renting. But if you do try it, it sound like you should get the 360 version.

That said, the retail version WITH the workaround is way smooth. I think it plays much much better than last years. If you liked last years, then you'll like this years. If not, I'd pass or rent at the very least.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:03 PM   #1711
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34
That's just me, there seems to be a lot of people who hate it, and I just don't get. I was really hard on last year's game and I by no means am a 2k fanboy, but I am impressed with the game this year ( minus the stutter )
At this point, regardless of what some people say, I think certain TV/home theater setups must have an effect on the game. The graphics are very good still and the frame rate was noticeable but overblown before the work around.

I have a hard time understanding how so many people are at one extreme or the other.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-07-2008, 12:06 PM   #1712
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

I didn't hate last year's game, saw a lot of promise in it. I'll give it another go since I only played 2 innings.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »