Home

MLB: The Show, Living up to the Hype?

This is a discussion on MLB: The Show, Living up to the Hype? within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 03-06-2008, 02:29 AM   #33
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

OVR: 47
It redefines sports games a whole.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:57 AM   #34
TOMBA IS ONLINE

Tomba's Arena

OVR: 65
Re: MLB: The Show, Living up to the Hype?

I'l be very honest. I thought is was so-so at first playing through about 8 stadiums and 16 teams respectively.

NOW?! Ohh man it's like gotten a millon times better. I have to still get used to the timing swing and i notice pitches break for certain pitchers differantly so...i need to adjust how i throw as well. needless to say i'm playing a ton of exhibition games to get the feel of it so i can properly play a season/franchise etc.

It's not the best baseball game i've played. i reserve that still to pro yakyuu spirits 4 for the PS3 last year. which to me was just a awesome pitching and hitting mechanic. VERY similiar to the Powerful pros game for the wii except with real japanese league players.I just thought it wasn't smooth transitional from cutscene to gameplay. there were blank black screens that would show up every few secs after players thatw ere like 1-2 secs long sometimes that took you away from the action and made it annoying. THAT said, this year those things are said to be gone and fixed. i'll check with my man bigmanzam to make sure they are befor eopening my game but i'm hoping.

2k8 on the other was a BIG letdown and has gotten me on the defesive whenever i see a "2k8 is great!" post. i wasted money on the game...thinking or being led to beleive it was decent.

But yeah MLB 08 the show is more than awesome. It's playable through an entire season and has alot of "regular' gameplay depth. (meaning it's a the same old standby gameplay we just KNOW works so it's safe on that which i like) it's has reliable gameplay.

Last edited by Tomba; 03-06-2008 at 03:03 AM.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:04 AM   #35
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30

Yep, I love this game. They just need to can these pitching and fielding mechanics. I'm not saying go make some hard, complicated thing like the other game, I'm just saying give us more control and chance for human error.
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2008, 09:03 AM   #36
MVP

chuckm1961's Arena

OVR: 12

Aside from:

1) I find it way too easy to throw strikes, even on HOF, even with Pitch Command on -10 and Pitch Movement on +10, even with Classic Pitching, even using Pitcher or Outfield View; and

2) Whenever you go to the bullpen to even warm a reliever, your current pitcher's confidence level in his pitches vanishes, which is incredibly annoying.....(unless, it was intentionally done that way?)...

It's a great game. So, no it did not live up to the hype for me ... yet.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:37 AM   #37
Rookie

OVR: 4
Wha about the strike/ball counts? Are pitchers throwing a realistic amount of balls, or is just like the previous strike-fest games? In OOTP -- even though that game has no animation aspects to speak of -- you get realism in the way of pitchers walking batters. I don't want to have to intentionally walk batters, and I DON"T WANT AI pitchers to be throwing strikes all the time.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:44 AM   #38
Hoping for change...

PsychoBulk's Arena

OVR: 23

Im not enjoying it anywhere near as much as i thought i would.

Im enjoying it a HELL of a lot more than i could have ever dreamed of.

Ive said this in the impressions thread, instead of listing everything great about this game (which would take hours), i just now prefer to say...

This is Baseball.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:20 AM   #39
Banned

OVR: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckm1961
1) I find it way too easy to throw strikes, even on HOF, even with Pitch Command on -10 and Pitch Movement on +10, even with Classic Pitching, even using Pitcher or Outfield View; and
So you have all the aids off? No strike zone, no ball marker, nothing? Are you trying to be precise with your pitch location. What I mean by this is some guys will choose their pitch (first step), then spend all day with the left stick trying to aim, then press the pitch button.

Tried and true for me. Select pitch/quickly aim/fire the ball in there. I played the Mets last night, my first full game, and walked three Met batters.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:23 AM   #40
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by agonytheclown
Wha about the strike/ball counts? Are pitchers throwing a realistic amount of balls, or is just like the previous strike-fest games? In OOTP -- even though that game has no animation aspects to speak of -- you get realism in the way of pitchers walking batters. I don't want to have to intentionally walk batters, and I DON"T WANT AI pitchers to be throwing strikes all the time.
I think you're talking about the wrong game.

M.K.
Knight165

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »