Home

Major League Baseball 2K8 360 Impressions

This is a discussion on Major League Baseball 2K8 360 Impressions within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-04-2008, 10:17 PM   #1313
Pro

budsticky's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Major League Baseball 2K8 (360/PS3) Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatalah
I'm cracking guys, I'm really cracking.

I'm sick of this game. I've tried my hardest to like it, but there are just too many flaws. I can't believe 2K is the only option for 360 owners, thanks a lot Take Two.

This is the third year I've had to deal with a sub-bar baseball game. Not having a good baseball game to play is the only reason I regret owning a 360. I can't believe this. The game's overall presentation is so discombobulated. I don't understand why there has to be a dive "button" rather than using the right analog stick. Batting is just plain unfair--is it possible to hit a ground ball or to pull or push a ball without aiming?

Just like NHL2K8, MLB2K8 turned into a mess of ideas executed with no precision at all. I feel like I'm playing a work-in-progress. I can't believe we're paying 60 bucks for audio from 2005.

As baseball fans, we NEED EA to buyout Take-Two. Brinkman has not done enough. Either that or Blue Castle should take-over.

I'm really frustrated guys. I'm not a *****, I've just had enough of being screwed out of good game.
Sorry to say, but I have to agree with this post. I really tried to like this game. I even posted some early favorable impressions. However, the more I play it the more I find things that are broken. And for me it has nothing to do with the frame rate.

I don't want to beat yet another dead horse but this game just isn't finished. Even the new hyped up pitching mechanic feels seriously wonky to me. I try to throw a slider and it throws a curve. Then it shows me the outline of my analog motion and it was just like a slider(straight to the left for a righty), only my follow through was a little more up towards the 2 o'clock range like a curve. Well a curve is supposed to go down to the 7 or 8 o'clock range on the first motion. I've even had it register fast balls when I pushed the stick to the side. How the hell does that happen? I know..go ahead and flame and tell me I suck, but I just got the feeling it wasn't responsive as it should be. It reminds me of a Wii game with piss poor motion controls. The idea is there but the implementation hasn't caught up with the idea.

The hitting doesn't do it for me either. Way too random. I don't get any certain feeling that I've done anything all that much better when I hit a home run as opposed to when I ground out weakly.

I've also observed the difference between the top tier pitchers and the next level down is too great. I can play a teams ace and get shut down for 1 or 2 runs with just a smattering of hits...however go against the number 2 or 3 guy and it's 8 or 9 runs with 15-20 hits. I know aces are aces for a reason but there's just too much of a disparity for me so far.

One more thing...here we go again with a baseball game with no walks. The computer will not walk you plain and simple.

If there ever was a perfect example of a sports game being rushed out just to make a yearly deadline this is it IMHO.

I'm holding out hope that maybe with some more play time and some workable sliders I can find enjoyment in this game. Perhaps the right slider combo will fix many of my problems I've mentioned above, but right now it ain't happening. And I for one, don't want to spend my gaming time experimenting with sliders. I have limited time for gaming and I want to enjoy it without too much tinkering. However I'll give it some more time..and see what slider settings pop up on here. Hopefully I can salvage some enjoyment out of this game.

As of right now though, I'll stand by my opinion that the best baseball game in recent years is not MVP 2005 or anything Sony has put out. My favorite game has been MLB Power Pros for Nintendo. Updated rosters and a few minor fixes, including pitchers that will walk you and I'll be in baseball heaven. Cartoony graphics be damned. And to think this game was produced by 2k. They have a great baseball game right under their noses and they release what IMHO is a game that is probably a good 6 months of development from being release ready...at least.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:19 PM   #1314
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsforever
Yup...I will also add that I think the graphics are as nice as last year. The grass textures aren't, but you quickly don't even notice it. I am curious why everyone else isn't getting the game to play as smooth. So far I'm loving this game.

I agree with you 100% (I didn't see your post until after I had posted my first comments about the game).
Old 03-04-2008, 10:20 PM   #1315
Rookie

Lerxt's Arena

OVR: 7

So far, I am loving the fielding, the hitting, and the pitching,. I definitely see the framerate "issue", but it is so minor, I have to question whether the people in this thread are looking for things to be wrong with the game. Obviously, people's perceptions differ, but it just isn't that bad at all. And it DEFINITELY does not affect the onfield results.

So far, I am very happy.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2008, 10:23 PM   #1316
Banned

Pierzynski 12's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by budsticky
Sorry to say, but I have to agree with this post. I really tried to like this game. I even posted some early favorable impressions. However, the more I play it the more I find things that are broken. And for me it has nothing to do with the frame rate.

I don't want to beat yet another dead horse but this game just isn't finished. Even the new hyped up pitching mechanic feels seriously wonky to me. I try to throw a slider and it throws a curve. Then it shows me the outline of my analog motion and it was just like a slider(straight to the left for a righty), only my follow through was a little more up towards the 2 o'clock range like a curve. Well a curve is supposed to go down to the 7 or 8 o'clock range on the first motion. I've even had it register fast balls when I pushed the stick to the side. How the hell does that happen? I know..go ahead and flame and tell me I suck, but I just got the feeling it wasn't responsive as it should be. It reminds me of a Wii game with piss poor motion controls. The idea is there but the implementation hasn't caught up with the idea.

The hitting doesn't do it for me either. Way too random. I don't get any certain feeling that I've done anything all that much better when I hit a home run as opposed to when I ground out weakly.

I've also observed the difference between the top tier pitchers and the next level down is too great. I can play a teams ace and get shut down for 1 or 2 runs with just a smattering of hits...however go against the number 2 or 3 guy and it's 8 or 9 runs with 15-20 hits. I know aces are aces for a reason but there's just too much of a disparity for me so far.

One more thing...here we go again with a baseball game with no walks. The computer will not walk you plain and simple.

If there ever was a perfect example of a sports game being rushed out just to make a yearly deadline this is it IMHO.

I'm holding out hope that maybe with some more play time and some workable sliders I can find enjoyment in this game. Perhaps the right slider combo will fix many of my problems I've mentioned above, but right now it ain't happening. And I for one, don't want to spend my gaming time experimenting with sliders. I have limited time for gaming and I want to enjoy it without too much tinkering. However I'll give it some more time..and see what slider settings pop up on here. Hopefully I can salvage some enjoyment out of this game.

As of right now though, I'll stand by my opinion that the best baseball game in recent years is not MVP 2005 or anything Sony has put out. My favorite game has been MLB Power Pros for Nintendo. Updated rosters and a few minor fixes, including pitchers that will walk you and I'll be in baseball heaven. Cartoony graphics be damned. And to think this game was produced by 2k. They have a great baseball game right under their noses and they release what IMHO is a game that is probably a good 6 months of development from being release ready...at least.
Go play The Show then, bud.

That's what alot of people keep harping on.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:25 PM   #1317
Pro

budsticky's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierzynski 12

Can't play The Show. I don't have a PS3 and I'm not getting one for one game. Believe me, I'm not trying to start some stupid Show/2k flame war. I wish as much as anyone I liked this game..but I just don't. I'm just stating my opinions..take them for what they are. This is a 2k impressions thread after all, right?
Old 03-04-2008, 10:33 PM   #1318
Can't spell antetokounmpo

Bahnzo's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierzynski 12

Thanks for quoting half of a page to make a cynical comment.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:37 PM   #1319
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: Major League Baseball 2K8 Impressions

I'm not going to read this thread because I'm sure it's full of craziness.

This game so far plays a solid game of baseball.

Framerate issues? I seriously forgot about them while playing and never noticed. I can't stand lag at all and I never felt frustrated. The only issue that I didn't like was the load to get from batter walkup to the pitcher/batter screen. The screen holds and definitely loads up the game. But it just slows the process of playing the game down. Doesn't affect gameplay.

Lots of hit variety. You can't say otherwise.

The new pitching is great. There are three instances of trying to throw the perfect pitch. Throw any of it off by even a slight bit and you're not throwing a perfect pitch. As for those that complained about meatballs. Not seeing a problem. Gave up two homeruns in my first game on two good pitches that were not meatballs. Threw a few meatballs and guys swung and missed, fouled them off, and hit weak grounders along with a few base hits. So meatballs do not equal homeruns.

Graphics are good. Not sure why anyone thinks they are bad. Just as pretty as last year - at least on the players. The grass is definitely downgraded but that's all I really noticed.

Much improved over 2k7. Not even close when you think about it.

Lost my first game 12-3 on All-Star. Like I said, gave up only two homeruns on non-meatball pitches.

And that's it from me on this board until maybe next year. I don't want to be a part of the nonsense. Bye.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer

Last edited by CMH; 03-04-2008 at 10:40 PM.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:44 PM   #1320
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyMac910
The small text size is a HUGE game killer for me. I can't enjoy my franchise if I can't read it.
What TV are you playing on?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »