Home

MLB 2K8 Game of The Week: Red Sox vs. Rockies

This is a discussion on MLB 2K8 Game of The Week: Red Sox vs. Rockies within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-27-2008, 02:26 PM   #169
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Vetzballin.com: MLB 2K8 Game of The Week: Red Sox vs. Rockies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
I just watched that play in short center over again where they dropped the ball...

You guys are kidding yourself if you think that was "miscommunication" amongst the fielders. The user, controlling the CF, wasn't in the right spot to catch the ball.

Now you can take this one of two ways:

1) The catch animations will have an issue in that they don't trigger when they're supposed to, causing you to drop the ball. Not good.

or

2) The game will penalize the user for not being in the right spot almost perfectly.

Take it as you will... but in no way was that a "miscue" by the outfielders.
Or you can take it that either there is a button to call the fielder off or plain that it is a preview copy of the game that might be bugged in that manner. If it's the later i would be sure that it would be fixed by release date. So many complaints from a video.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:28 PM   #170
Post Like a Champion!

jake44np's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by centauris
Wait.. so you know that for a fact?
It was mentioned earlier this video is from a months old preview build, not the final build.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:30 PM   #171
MVP

OVR: 13

A few things...

Yes, we know for a fact this was a "preview" build of the game. This version is only 80-90% complete, and did not have a lot of the new audio (sounds, commentary, etc.) in place yet. Criticizing animations, glitches, etc this stage is silly. The game is UNFINISHED.

Secondly, just because Okajima gave up one homerun to Holliday last year doesn't mean there's no way he'd face him again. If I recall, Papelbon gave up a homer to ARod last year that cost the Sox the game.

Does that mean Paps never faces ARod again? Doubtful.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-27-2008, 02:32 PM   #172
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake44np
It was mentioned earlier this video is from a months old preview build, not the final build.
so why haven't we seen final build coverage yet?

the game is almost out, this never happens with sports games.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:32 PM   #173
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by centauris
Wait.. so you know that for a fact?
Actually, yes, he does because it's already known that it's a preview build that is not 100% complete.

Now, when it comes to fan/crowd reaction, that's a done deal. The game won't ship any better at this portion of the game. There is no 2k fan that could argue against this.

2k8 was about gameplay and mostly gameplay only. Presentation will probably come in 2k9. At least, one can only hope so.

As for people that continue to blindly state that wasted resources went to the cards feature, please stop talking about something you know nothing about. There are teams of people that work on different things. If 2k didn't work on baseball cards they would still have the same number of people working on gameplay.

In other words, baseball cards or not, the game would have shipped exactly as it's going to ship when it's released except now it has a baseball card feature.

Which would you rather have? A game with zero new features or a game with at least one? It's beyond logical here.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Old 02-27-2008, 02:33 PM   #174
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT30
Hmm I am confused. You talk about having grasp of the English language.... Do you mean "RED SOX" or as you spell it..."Redsox"?
Seriously? You read through that whole post, and the biggest bust you try to pull out on me is whether or not the proper noun Red Sox is misused when I do not make it a compound word? Seriously? You do not want to waste your time with me. Wait for my brother, Big Billy Goat Gruff. He is coming along behind me, and would certainly make a bigger and better meal.

SYF
Old 02-27-2008, 02:38 PM   #175
Rookie

OVR: 2

This forum has really changed over the years. Useless fanboyism was never tolerated previously, yet this entire topic is littered with it.

Does the game have issues? Yes.
Is The Show the messiah of all baseball games? No, it has issues too.

Me, I never really liked The Show, it always felt scripted, not enough user control and this year's version seems similar. Does The Show have good presentation? That's an understatement, it's fantastic, but for me, as I said, it always felt scripted, kinda like High Heat. Some people LOVED High Heat, I always felt it seemed scripted.

The 2K baseball games put almost all of the control in the users hand, starting with the new pitching mechanic. And while they may have taken aiming out this year, who in baseball aims when they hit anyway? Unless you're sacrificing, baseball is a spontaneous sport, you hit it where it's at, which is why I preferred zone hitting. However, seeing as 2K has added 12-16 frames of actual ball-hitting physics, this may alleviate that issue.

For those of you who honestly feel that The Show is the messiah of baseball video-gaming, go into that forum and discuss it. Stay out of here, you cause nothing but animosity towards other users and make yourself look . . . well, stupid.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-27-2008, 02:39 PM   #176
MVP

Stroehms's Arena

OVR: 55

I know that it's overcast in the video but why aren't the lights on?
I always wondered about that. other than that, it looks great to me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »