Home

2024 Offseason Thread

This is a discussion on 2024 Offseason Thread within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 04-26-2024, 10:01 PM   #553
Rookie

cheesesteak's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: 2024 Offseason Thread

Yeah, I like the Eagles picks. In fact, I wanted DeJean to the 9ers when he was still there.

If the 9ers wanted a WR/DB combo, I'd have 10000000% more wanted Cooper DeJean at #31 and Troy Franklin at #64 than Ricky Pearsall at #31 and Renardo Green at #64.

DeJean can play anywhere, particularly if 9ers stick to Cover 3, the same D scheme as Iowa. And Franklin run blocks well and would probably fit well in Shanahan's gimmicky offense, like he did at Oregon.

But oh well. I have to have faith in Lynch & Shanahan. They generally draft well. Some flops, like everyone has, but even some questionable "fit" picks (Aaron Banks, Ambry Thomas, etc) have turned out decent. And I actually do really like Pearsall, just not as a 2024 need if Aiyuk and Deebo aren't traded...which they aren't yet.

Also, the fact Franklin is still on the board as I watch now at #72 is surprising.

edit:
I'm a bit surprised how hands-off some of the teams are with who they draft. Or maybe it's just a 9ers thing. Apparently they never formally interviewed Green (at combine, Top 30 visits, etc). They had their DB Coach call him once to have a conversation.

One phone convo from an assistant and film are enough to draft someone in the 2nd Round??

I always thought teams invested a lot more time and effort into their draft candidates. But who knows, I assume they also had to have talked with Norvel or FSU defensive coaches about Green? Don't want to draft some idiot thug like Rashee Rice who'll just be incarcerated his second year. Something extra surprising given how much the 9ers build and promote a certain team culture. But maybe Green just nailed that phone convo. He seemed alright in the video press conference w/ SF media. Still, I'm surprised that's all it took to pull the trigger.
Oregon State Beavers
Gonzaga Bulldogs

Last edited by cheesesteak; 04-26-2024 at 11:54 PM.
Old 04-27-2024, 08:19 AM   #554
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
That second part is key to me. Cousins is on a 4 year deal I think, but sounds like could be a reasonable out after 2 years. That would put Penix on the timeline to take over in Year 3 a la Jordan Love. We don’t see it a lot so I’m not sure how much the hit rate is, but GB keeps churning out really good QB after letting them sit a few years after drafting in the first. Those guys (Rodgers and Love) were both drafted in the 20’s, though. But it’s a strategy worth exploring and it’s hardly ever a good look to draft a guy so high and not play him for 2-3 years. We will only be able to truly judge the move years down the line.

The Falcons recent history of offensive skill position players made this more of a head scratcher than it is IMO. But they shouldn’t let their history and past regime picks screw up their plans for now and the future.

My guess is with Raheem Morris at HC, he’s expected to get the most out of the defense. Otherwise, drafting an offensive player to insulate Cousins, who’s supposed to be good enough to get them to playoffs without additional help, would have been overkill. They already theoretically have the pieces on offense.

Penix age doesn’t bother me. We all want a guy to be our franchise QB from 23 to 38 but I don’t know how realistic that is. If you can get 10 years out of him (26-36), that’s pretty good and worth it if he’s as good as they drafted him to be.

Cousins should still be able to drag the Falcons to the South crown and playoffs next couple years, the succession plan is in place with what you figure to be one of your last high first round picks for a while. I get the criticism and pain ATL fans are feeling seeing the same type of move made, but as an outsider it made enough sense to me. The one big hit is if they could’ve gotten him later, but then we saw McCarthy and Nix both gone 4 picks later so I’m not sure he would’ve last much longer.

Gonna be all eyes on the Falcons next few years. So tantalizing lately with no results so far. Between the HC, GM, QB and future QB, they’ve laid their cards on the table. See how it turns out.

Bingo, sir.

Also, don’t think they should wait until they *need* a Qb to address it. We didn’t *need* one when we drafted Love and folks still gave us **** for his first 2 years lol.

It’s definitely fair to question the pick after what they did with Kirk as ALL first round picks are “supposed” to be immediate impact players but I don’t think this some egregious mistake that could cripple their franchise.
Old 04-28-2024, 11:20 AM   #555
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Another thing about Penix and 6 QBs being drafted in top 12, I guess looked towards next year's class and didn't like the options. I guess the top 3 QBs for next year is Carson Beck, Quinn Ewers, and Shedeur Sanders. Next year's class in general should be deeper than this year because it wasn't as many underclassmen that declared for this year and I want o say it should be the final season with guys with the extra Covid Year.

So, if you don't like next year's crop of QBs and/or don't want to wait and see who is a Riser, I can understand drafting one this year
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-28-2024, 01:36 PM   #556
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
Another thing about Penix and 6 QBs being drafted in top 12, I guess looked towards next year's class and didn't like the options. I guess the top 3 QBs for next year is Carson Beck, Quinn Ewers, and Shedeur Sanders. Next year's class in general should be deeper than this year because it wasn't as many underclassmen that declared for this year and I want o say it should be the final season with guys with the extra Covid Year.

So, if you don't like next year's crop of QBs and/or don't want to wait and see who is a Riser, I can understand drafting one this year

The counter to that is that QB prospects can make a name for themselves and rise up the board, especially with the transfer portal. Daniels was nowhere near a first rounder and he blew up after being in a good situation with talent around him.

The logic of addressing it now makes sense IF it’s a late first in my opinion like Jordan Love and you’re sitting behind an aa-timer on Rodger’s but it’s Capt Kirk coming off an Achilles in a new scheme trying to gel with new players without offseason work since he’s rehabbing.

I really like Pennix and tbh wouldn’t have cared if ATL took him at 8 IF you didn’t already commit $100mil guaranteed +. $25 mil in what could be dead cap space if you move on after 2 years.

Packs logic is swayed by what his organization (GB) has done with their last 2 QBs but he had/has (if Love turns out to be the real deal) the luxury of having stability at the QB position for 25+ years. The Falcons aren’t the Packers and Kirk ain’t Favre/Rodgers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-28-2024, 02:19 PM   #557
All Star

georgiafan's Arena

OVR: 12

You can’t compare GB/love situation to Atlanta it’s completely different. I think Green Bay was coming off a 13-3 season and picking In the late 1st. Atlanta was picking 8th and hasn’t made the playoffs In many years with a ton of holes on the roster. Green Bay had a QB that was established and coming toward the end. Atlanta had just 6 weeks ago gave a QB 100 million guaranteed.

I have no clue why Atlanta’s GM ( and president rich mccay) still has a job. People talk about these skill players Atlanta has please tell me which ones he has drafted in the top 10 that have played above average. I do expect them to play better next yesterday with cousins at QB and if they do means a big pay day is coming.

He also gave up a 3rd round pick to move up 8 spots in the 2nd round to reach for a DT. That guy had better be a immediate player bc they gave up a starter to get him.

If you think Penix is your guy that’s fine take him at 8. He hasn’t changed as a prospect in the 6 weeks after you signed cousins. He is 24 and isn’t this raw prospect that needs to learn for 2 years like a Love or Allen. If you believe in Penix you take him knowing if he misses you are fired.

The 100 million could have been used to add multiple starters or saved and resigned guys like A.J Terrell and Grady Jarrett.
Old 04-28-2024, 04:48 PM   #558
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

A new QB is cool and all, but I’m pretty pumped about this punter the Bears drafted from Iowa
Old 04-28-2024, 05:47 PM   #559
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyes the roof
A new QB is cool and all, but I’m pretty pumped about this punter the Bears drafted from Iowa
Caleb doesn't seem to think he's going to see much action. His tweet: ''Hey, you're not going to punt too much here.'' If I was Caleb, I wouldn't be too excited about replacing Fields. The Bears will be drafting another QB in 2027.
#44Syracuse
Old 04-28-2024, 07:08 PM   #560
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

I'm okay with it. Eagles needed to solidify the backup Tackle position and didn't address it in FA or Draft. Best case scenario he doesn't play or plays limited snaps

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »