Home

Why Ultimate Base Roster is not planned for 2K13

This is a discussion on Why Ultimate Base Roster is not planned for 2K13 within the NBA 2K PC Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K PC Forum
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 01-14-2013, 01:20 PM   #1
NBA 2K AI Software Engineer

OVR: 13
Why Ultimate Base Roster is not planned for 2K13

As much as I have been hoping that the team behind UBR would transition to 2K13 once REDitor is out for it, this post from nuhmete pretty much confirms the opposite, unfortunately.

Quote:
The first and foremost reason is we started out with 2K12, which relies on historical content much more because of the lockout at the time of game’s release.
I also went ahead and converted all the historical content that was in 2K11 and was missing from 2K12 a long time ago, so theoretically UBR includes both 2K11 and 2K12.
We played with the idea of converting it to 2K13 if there was an easy way around and the art files were compatible, and waited to see if we could have more freedom in 2K13 (specifically the fixed roster size) but it’s mid-January and there’s no Reditor in sight yet, and Vlad said the fixed file size is still in 2K13 – that kinda sealed the deal.
Taking a look at the pros and cons, converting it to 2K13 would take so much effort that it’s not worth it, we’d better see that effort utilized towards new content. After all in roughly 8 months 2K13 will be outdated too and then people will start to ask if it will be converted to 2K14.
All 3 games are pretty much the same game on the same old engine with some gimmicks added-removed every year and the plan is to stick to 2K12 until a new next-gen game engine comes out. We’re also getting content in from 2K13 be it portraits, cyberfaces or courts, so it has much more shelf life than any of the non-modded games (We also don’t have Rihanna popping up before a game – and our replay cam actually works )
While I agree that 2K11 was graphically superior to both 2K12 and 2K13, I don’t see how its gameplay was better – it’s ranking 3rd in terms of gameplay for me from the titles above. So this is kinda subjective too
Anyway, we are getting that question a lot and I wanted to give a detailed “once-and-for-all” answer. When 2K Sports decides to get rid of their decade old game engine or removes the limitations on data files, we’ll be there. 2K12 modding until then

Here's hoping they change their minds, but it doesn't seem like it. Just wanted to give you guys a heads-up.
Novato, CA, USA
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-14-2013, 06:56 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 9
Someone else will make a project similar to it, but man going to miss UBR, but I for one am completely done with 2k12! The game sucks!
Old 01-14-2013, 10:17 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Why Ultimate Base Roster is not planned for 2K13

How sad. Opens up windows of opportunity for other roster patchers though.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K PC Forum »