Home

Why was the underhand free throw animation removed?

This is a discussion on Why was the underhand free throw animation removed? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 05-26-2015, 12:00 AM   #1
MVP

Trackball's Arena

OVR: 7

Ever since 2K14 had Rick Barry's free throw animation taken out, its absence has been a thorn in my side.

I shoot underhand free throws in real life. Why? Because they WORK.

What, was it taken out because it worked TOO well?

Here's a couple of articles for you, because I'm on a PC and as I type this, I'm under a flash flood warning. I just wanted to get this out there while it was still on my mind.

Physics Proves It: Everyone Should Shoot Granny-Style

DeAndre Jordan Should Follow George Johnson, Learn Free Throws from Rick Barry

By the way, you put Rick Barry in MyTeam this year, but not his free throw animation? What?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-27-2015, 12:02 AM   #2
MVP

Trackball's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Why was the underhand free throw animation removed?

Bumping, because I still can't get a good answer to this question after over a year.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:04 PM   #3
MVP

Jrocc23's Arena

OVR: 6

There's no good reason I believe man. So, it's nothing for us to really say.

Same reason they remove stuff like Steve Nash's layup package and other sig animations.

I believe they should just keep building on them and stop removing them, even if the player isn't in the game anymore. Just change the name to something else, but leave the animation as a option.

NBA 2K11
XtremeXplicit Crew
Ranked

Check us out: http://www.youtube.com/jroccdagameboy
Old 05-27-2015, 01:41 PM   #4
QNo
MVP

OVR: 0

I would guess that they can't have everything they've ever done in the game as it would blow up the game size too much, maybe even slow it down. They probably remove those animations they think are largely irrelevant to the majority of the community.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:05 PM   #5
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by QNo
I would guess that they can't have everything they've ever done in the game as it would blow up the game size too much, maybe even slow it down. They probably remove those animations they think are largely irrelevant to the majority of the community.
That's my thinking. I'm guessing they have a budgeted amount of memory dedicated to animations. So if they add something, then they probably have to eliminate something. They may have felt it was better to drop an animation that not many people used in favor of something more useful.

As for shooting free throws granny-style, I'm surprised more players who are terrible at the line don't give it a try. And for really tall guys, it does make sense from a physics standpoint to lower the release point of the ball and encourage a softer arc. But for me personally, I shot free throws at a 90% rate throughout high school but can't make 6 out of 10 granny-style (the few times that I've tried it). So it's definitely not for everyone. It wasn't ever that big of a deal for me to replicate my normal shot at the line. I'm also only 6 foot tall though, so I'm already low enough to the ground as is.

Last edited by Pokes404; 05-27-2015 at 02:19 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-27-2015, 03:25 PM   #6
Rookie

City_foxx's Arena

Rick barry freethrow> ronnie2k jumpshot. Steve nash layups> jumping jacks stand emote. I get theres only so much space but taking out dr. J's layup package so myplayers can do the robot pregame is basketball blasphemy!
Old 05-27-2015, 03:50 PM   #7
MVP

Jrocc23's Arena

OVR: 6

I doubt space is the issue honestly. I don't know at all, but I don't think layup animation or underhand FT takes up a lot of memory at all. It's a lot of other irrelevant stuff that could have been removed. But we are on NG. I doubt memory is the issue at this point.

NBA 2K11
XtremeXplicit Crew
Ranked

Check us out: http://www.youtube.com/jroccdagameboy
Old 05-27-2015, 04:24 PM   #8
QNo
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokes404
As for shooting free throws granny-style, I'm surprised more players who are terrible at the line don't give it a try. And for really tall guys, it does make sense from a physics standpoint to lower the release point of the ball and encourage a softer arc. But for me personally, I shot free throws at a 90% rate throughout high school but can't make 6 out of 10 granny-style (the few times that I've tried it). So it's definitely not for everyone. It wasn't ever that big of a deal for me to replicate my normal shot at the line. I'm also only 6 foot tall though, so I'm already low enough to the ground as is.
They rather shoot 1/10 with a regular shooting form than 7/10 with the granny form. Shaq said this a number of times, that as a hip-hop kid he'd never shoot this way and I'm sure other bigs are just the same.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »