Home

NBA2k should go after NBC license

This is a discussion on NBA2k should go after NBC license within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 05-22-2024, 06:00 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
NBA2k should go after NBC license

So NBA is finalizing a deal with ESPN, NBC & Amazon and TNT will lose their rights. Since NBA Live had full on ESPN presentation, I wonder if 2k could go after NBC licensing since it has the superior theme song and used to have the best presentation, colorful scoreboards and all. Would be great if 2k could secure that once it's up and running (2k26 earliest possibility).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-22-2024, 09:03 PM   #2
MVP

wrestlinggod1's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: NBA2k should go after NBC license

I’m glad someone made a thread about this. I really wonder how TNT losing their NBA license will impact 2. We basically have the TNT presentation without the brand. The commentators, sideline reporters, I wonder if 2K will keep everyone or have to start fresh with NBC, considering Live has ESPN. Can’t wait to see!

Go MIAMI Teams!!
Old 05-23-2024, 05:58 AM   #3
MVP

zello144's Arena

I like the presentation how it is currently. No affiliation to TNT or ESPN. It gives 2K a lot of flexibility and they can get people from both networks whenever they want. They need to continue to keep it neutral but going forward add some elements of NBC in it.
Old 05-23-2024, 02:48 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 19

1. NBC doesn't have the license yet, and TNT hasn't lost it yet.

2. NBC doesn't even have presentation besides a 90s jingle. Like what are we talking about here? Marv Albert retired. Bob Costas is 72. We know next to nothing about how they'd cover basketball games in the year 2025.

3. ESPN branding has done absolutely nothing for EA.

4. 2K have no reason to promote a brand other than themselves. They can have the TNT crew (which they will get to keep since they are all individually contracted), while also having ESPN personalities like Doris Burke. They can pass on someone like a Reggie Miller rather than being stuck with them due to a licensing agreement.
http://youtube.com/real2krosters
Old 05-23-2024, 10:07 PM   #5
Pro

vetmin's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real2KInsider
2. NBC doesn't even have presentation besides a 90s jingle. Like what are we talking about here? Marv Albert retired. Bob Costas is 72. We know next to nothing about how they'd cover basketball games in the year 2025.
I took OP to mean that 2K should take the opportunity of the impending NBA/NBC partnership to establish a 2K/NBC relationship as well (starting in 2K26, 2K27, or whenever is realistic), in order to have whatever the future TV presentation will be (once it’s established) and/or permission to recreate retro NBA on NBC presentation as well for a more realistic Eras experience.

That said…

Quote:
4. 2K have no reason to promote a brand other than themselves. They can have the TNT crew (which they will get to keep since they are all individually contracted), while also having ESPN personalities like Doris Burke. They can pass on someone like a Reggie Miller rather than being stuck with them due to a licensing agreement.
…yeah, this. 2K does not seem to even have any sort of formal partnership with TNT, so I wouldn’t have much hope that they’d establish one with NBC. As you point out, it’s clear that the TV personality likeness rights are independent of any network, given the mix of network personalities already in the game, like Doris and others like DA who have stayed in the game despite leaving TNT. I’m guessing that the preponderance of TNT personalities in 2K may just be because 2K has had an easier time dealing with network exclusivity stuff when it comes to TNT as opposed to ESPN, but I’m just speculating there. In any case I would be surprised if the core personalities in the game change any time soon; Kevin Harlan, DA, Ernie + Shaq + Kenny, etc. have all built up such an extensive library of commentary that it would be a gigantic hassle to pivot to an entirely new crew.

EDIT: Sidenote, but if NBC chooses to revive Roundball Rock, I wonder how long it will stick around in 2K, given that 2K apparently worked directly with John Tesh on licensing it. 2K may have struck that deal at just the right time; hopefully it’s not just for a very limited time period.

Last edited by vetmin; 05-23-2024 at 10:11 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-24-2024, 02:17 AM   #6
Pro

I don’t think 2k would lose the theme since John Tesh owns it an licenses it to whoever he wants. FOX Sports has been using it since 2018 and it still ended up in 2k anyway. As long as they pay him, I’m sure he’ll license it out again since it’s just a menu track and not used for intros or anything.
Old 05-24-2024, 10:37 AM   #7
Roster Editor

jd@os's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yallasama
So NBA is finalizing a deal with ESPN, NBC & Amazon and TNT will lose their rights. Since NBA Live had full on ESPN presentation, I wonder if 2k could go after NBC licensing since it has the superior theme song and used to have the best presentation, colorful scoreboards and all. Would be great if 2k could secure that once it's up and running (2k26 earliest possibility).
I think when people are critical of NBC's presentation*, their assumption leads them to the NBA on NBC presentation that ran from 1990 to the early 2000s. But NBC Sports has regional presentation packages (Bay Area, Chicago, etc) that could give us an idea of how it could look in a video game (reminds me of NCAA Football 13 or 14 with it's usage of blocks). MLB The Show uses regional packages (like them or not, they're in the game).

But getting back to the NBA on NBC presentation (and not just the NBC Sports presentation which is a thing)....although known for Roundball Rock, it did have other elements that led to its presentation:

--the epic voice over before the game, showing players in slo-mo action and making it seem as if everything was on-the-line in a February matchup (NBA on CBS did this well for the playoffs); that's the NBA on NBC's presentation, while 2K's "version" is the music video before some games

--head-shots of players before tipoff to show the starting lineup; for instance, the presentation would show a team's two guards, two forwards, and center, followed by a live shot of the team's coach; that's the NBA on NBC's presentation, while 2K does the latter after player introductions

--a little stat such as a player's personal fouls would be displayed in-game, but a bigger stat such as a season average would prompt a cutaway with the player's head-shot and the averages, with their presentation's "blocky" style

--overlays and swipes; EDIT: you could tell some games in NBA 2K23's Jordan Challenge were "going for" the NBA on NBC's presentation look and they didn't have Roundball Rock

Other presentation packages have these elements, but like NBC, it's the style that makes it theirs.

*For instance, when I am critical of the NBA on NBC's presentation, I cite it not having the scorebug on display at all times.

Last edited by jd@os; 05-24-2024 at 10:42 AM. Reason: "overlays and swipes" addition
Old 05-24-2024, 12:41 PM   #8
Pro

Not having the scorebug on the screen was the norm in the 90s though. That and the bottom line ticker didn’t become a thing until ESPN pushed it in the 2000s. I’d assume NBC will have an on screen scorebug in their new graphics for 2025.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »