Home

Dolby Vision for gaming

This is a discussion on Dolby Vision for gaming within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 01-30-2023, 05:11 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0
Dolby Vision for gaming

Has anyone tried this with 2K and what’s the thoughts about it? I can’t get it to look like it should but maybe I’m not doing something right……. I’m on Xbox series X

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-30-2023, 08:01 PM   #2
Just started!

Re: Dolby Vision for gaming

I think it depends on your TV to be honest. I have an LG OLED CX and use Dolby Vision with my Series X and compared to the PS5 it is a lot more muted in terms of color punch. I think it really depends on the title and if it is optimized for DV. If it is, like Ori or Horizon the colors can look amazing and very accurate. But I think Xbox takes the regular HDR input and converts or adds a DV layer so depending on the game, it can look worse than just turning it off. It also definitely impacts latency so some turn it off regardless.
Old 01-30-2023, 08:03 PM   #3
Just started!

I should add that the reason I mention the TV is that if you have a mid range or entry level DV television it may not be noticeable. If you see a huge impact when watching DV vs. standard HDR then you might see a difference in optimized games.
Old 01-30-2023, 08:04 PM   #4
Just started!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strosdood
Has anyone tried this with 2K and what’s the thoughts about it? I can’t get it to look like it should but maybe I’m not doing something right……. I’m on Xbox series X

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
I would also say that I did try NBA 2K23 and compared to my PS5 non-DV it definitely looks muted and the colors lack punch.
Old 07-27-2023, 09:12 AM   #5
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10

Funny I ran across this,, as I was just messing around with my tv settings because of 2k23 last night. I have an LG C2 OLED and have been really trying to learn as much as possible about HDR, DV as it pertains to the affect it has on gaming. I currently doing a Magic/Bird ERA franchise and something was looking off to me with DV on. So, I tried a couple of different settings, HDR10 in Game Mode, HDR10 in Filmmaker Mode, HDR disabled altogether in Filmmaker Mode.

To my bad eyes, 2k looked better using HDR10 in Filmmaker Mode and HDR disabled altogether. I don't worry about input lag because I spectate games more than I play. So, using different picture modes is an option for me. I know that 2k23 doesn't have it's own HDR sliders in-game, and it's also not using the console HDR calibrations either. WWE 2k23 doesn't support HDR at all and it looks amazing, which is why I decided to try and see what NBA 2k23 would look like without it. By the end of the night though, I ended up going with HDR10 with Filmmaker Picture Mode.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2023, 09:56 AM   #6
Pro

wallofhate's Arena

OVR: 8

It's a guy on YouTube that went through the differences with a lot of detail named Vincent Teoh(might have spelled his last name wrong) but his channel is called HDTVtest

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »