Home

Higher Zone Usage Is More Like Modern NBA Defense On 2K19 (Play Now Mode)

This is a discussion on Higher Zone Usage Is More Like Modern NBA Defense On 2K19 (Play Now Mode) within the NBA 2K Basketball Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Sliders
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 07-21-2019, 09:53 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
Higher Zone Usage Is More Like Modern NBA Defense On 2K19 (Play Now Mode)

ZONE USAGE AND THE NUMBER VALUES THAT EFFECT TIGHT DEFENSE VERSUS SAGGING/SPACING:

Lower Zone Usage = Tight On Ball Defense resembling more of the 90's NBA style

Higher Zone Usage (closer to 100) = More Sagging/Spacing and Help Defense resembles more of today's NBA style, allowing more 3pt attempts, and field goal attempts overall

A little late in the game, as I know 2K20 will drop soon. However, if you are a PLAY NOW - USER vs CPU guy who just wants to jump into the game without making a thousand defensive adjustments before tip-off, then you're just like me, and keep reading. To mimic modern NBA style of the help defensive, allowing perimeter space, and not so tight one on one defense every second, then ZONE USAGE in the coaching slider section needs to be increased for each team. What I did was base each team on a 20 point scale, because no team's zone usage is higher than 20. For example, if a team's zone usage is 1 then increase to 81;If it's 15, then increase to 95; and if it's 20 then it is 100. I've also edited, where all teams would be a 100 separately.

I've tested many games with the 80 - 100 zone usage threshold. I've tested games with each team zone usage set to 100. And I've noticed a big difference in 3pt Attempts without touching any offensive tendencies in sliders (all offensive tendencies were at 50 Default). Checkout Game Stat Comparisons below:

Game 1

Hornets Zone Usage = 95

(Me) Pacers Zone Usage = 85

IMG_20190721_194955594.jpg

Game 2

Hornets Zone Usage = 100

(Me) Pacers Zone Usage = 100

IMG_20190721_194725248.jpg

...as you can see, when I set both teams at 100, for Game 2, I did not have a need to change any offensive slider tendencies. No need to increase 3pt tendencies. No need to lower On Ball Defense slider. Bigs will play perimeter occasionally, but not as much. Those on this forum who addressed problems with USER not shooting as much 3 point attempts like CPU does, this fixes that because they will give more breathing room...and play more off ball defense. However, they will still clamp down when needed. Now, I am not sure if I will roll with 80-100, or all teams at 100, or find a sweet spot between 96-99...but you get the point of where I am going with this. I have not updated to the latest patch yet, so I don't know what to expect for you guys who have updated already, but I will be testing 96-99 next. Meanwhile...

MAIN MENU:

-Go to Options/Features

-Create Roster (You can use default or custom)

-Press RT Button until you see Scout Advice (Coaching Sliders)

-Edit each team's Zone Usage Slider and increase

Save your roster

-or-

I use a 2019-20 custom roster created by @bryandfor3 that I love. I downloaded his roster and edited the zone usages, but I HAVE NOT uploaded it to XBOX One. In the next post, you can see an updated list of all teams' edited zone usage numbers for you own use.

I've only tried this in PLAY NOW mode.
Just wanted to share this and I Hope this helps someone! If not then enjoy anyway!

Last edited by devroyce; 07-29-2019 at 08:36 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2019, 10:27 PM   #2
Banned

Re: HIGHER ZONE USAGE IS MORE LIKE MODERN NBA DEFENSE ON 2K19 (PLAY NOW MODE)

ZONE USAGE VALUES TEAM LIST (80-100):

76ers: 95
Bucks: 85
Bulls: 100
Cavs: 95
Celtics: 95
Clippers: 81
Grizzlies: 95
Hawks: 84
Heat: 88
Hornets: 95
Jazz: 88
Kings: 85
Knicks: 83
Lakers: 85
Magic: 85
Mavs: 90
Nets: 85
Nuggets: 85
Pacers: 85
Pelicans: 84
Pistons: 100
Raptors: 85
Rockets: 83
Spurs: 83
Suns: 83
Thunder: 81
T'Wolves: 83
Blazers: 90
Warriors: 84
Wizards: 87

OR

As I stated in the first post, you can go with all 100s for all teams, and you will surely see the sagging, spacing, more threes etc. without a doubt, and not have to increase 3pt tendencies. And if that is too much then go with a number to your liking for all teams instead.

Last edited by devroyce; 07-21-2019 at 11:01 PM.
Old 07-23-2019, 02:18 PM   #3
Just started!

Re: Higher Zone Usage Is More Like Modern NBA Defense On 2K19 (Play Now Mode)

If I make the changes then save roster then make a myleague controlling one team, will the CPU coaches change the slider or do I have to do 30 team control?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 07-23-2019, 03:35 PM   #4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlvinM_YT
If I make the changes then save roster then make a myleague controlling one team, will the CPU coaches change the slider or do I have to do 30 team control?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
That's an interesting question. I honestly have no clue. I haven't tried MyLeague yet. The only mode I've tried it on was Play Now - Offline - User vs Cpu - Superstar - 12 Minute Quarters - with my own personal slider edits (not posted on the forum). Hopefully someone here on the forum can get you an answer soon...or if you find out first, you're welcome to post here as a helpful source. Definitely would like to know as well.

Last edited by devroyce; 07-23-2019 at 03:48 PM.
Old 07-24-2019, 12:44 AM   #5
Banned

This game, I decided to go with all 100's for zone usage; both teams.

We both committed a lot of fouls. 35 Team Fouls for USER and 26 Team Fouls for CPU!

USER shot 28/35 free throws
CPU shot 31/45 free throws (more than me!)

Both teams shot 37 3PT Attempts.

Game Stats below:

(CPU) Pelicans Zone Usage = 100

(USER - ME) Bulls Zone Usage = 100

IMG_20190723_233559416.jpg

Play Now - Offline - User vs Cpu - Superstar - 12 Minute Quarters - with my own personal slider edits (not posted on the forum)

My only gripe with this game was that I achieved a lot of passing lane steals which I will fix and I think I had shooting successes a little too high. Otherwise, the stats were great and very fun game.

Last edited by devroyce; 07-24-2019 at 01:10 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2019, 10:09 PM   #6
Banned

More great Play Now games with all Teams Zone Usage at 100. Total game stats below:

(User) Nets vs (Cpu) Pistons - 3 games
(User) Clippers vs (Cpu) Nuggets
(User) Bulls vs (Cpu) WizardsIMG_20190725_004018472.jpgIMG_20190725_004151236.jpgIMG_20190725_004218831.jpgIMG_20190727_225837121.jpgIMG_20190729_210113794.jpg

Sent from my moto e5 play using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 08-01-2019, 10:46 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 3

devroyce, love what you did here: This adds to thinking, simulation basketball!

I am taking the liberty of working with your discovery on my coach's spreadsheet. I had discovered that the substitution percentage on the Coach's Profile is incorrect, so I worked out a formula based on roster usage to improve it. It took a while, but I recalculated and then entered the new values into the game, and they work very well.

I had left Zone Usage blank on my sheet because I was not certain what direction to go to recalculate that. Your work is looking good on my spreadsheet so far:

Steve Kerr 65
Mike D'antoni 70
Alvin Gentry 53

The values are lower than yours but higher than 2K's roster maker. My values are lower because I am using the statistics associated with a coach's historic best record. Gentry's best teams were in Phoenix and defense was different 15 years ago. Kerr's and D'antoni's numbers are from the last three years.

I am looking forward to crunching out the rest of the League and inputting to see what happens. Previously, I lowered the Jumpshot release sliders to 25 for me and the AI, and jacked the Layup sliders to 100: That got 3FGAs up to today's standard, but I want to put those sliders back and try what you are doing.

I like playing MyLeague as a history simulation, and since 2K came out with the physical contact slider I have often wondered what it would take to replicate smash-mouth 1990's basketball. I think you may have the solution.

I will let you know what I find!

Last edited by mcdowell31; 08-02-2019 at 11:44 PM.
Old 08-03-2019, 06:04 PM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdowell31
devroyce, love what you did here: This adds to thinking, simulation basketball!

I am taking the liberty of working with your discovery on my coach's spreadsheet. I had discovered that the substitution percentage on the Coach's Profile is incorrect, so I worked out a formula based on roster usage to improve it. It took a while, but I recalculated and then entered the new values into the game, and they work very well.

I had left Zone Usage blank on my sheet because I was not certain what direction to go to recalculate that. Your work is looking good on my spreadsheet so far:

Steve Kerr 65
Mike D'antoni 70
Alvin Gentry 53

The values are lower than yours but higher than 2K's roster maker. My values are lower because I am using the statistics associated with a coach's historic best record. Gentry's best teams were in Phoenix and defense was different 15 years ago. Kerr's and D'antoni's numbers are from the last three years.

I am looking forward to crunching out the rest of the League and inputting to see what happens. Previously, I lowered the Jumpshot release sliders to 25 for me and the AI, and jacked the Layup sliders to 100: That got 3FGAs up to today's standard, but I want to put those sliders back and try what you are doing.

I like playing MyLeague as a history simulation, and since 2K came out with the physical contact slider I have often wondered what it would take to replicate smash-mouth 1990's basketball. I think you may have the solution.

I will let you know what I find!
Very interesting. Awesome to hear it works out well! Yes, please let us all know. By the way, what mode are you playing on? Is it still MyLeague?

I have all my Defense (Strength/Gather/Release Section) sliders at 50 except for Inside Contact...set at 100. I kept the Jumpshot Gather and releases at 50...and still got a whole lotta 3pt attempts as seen on my pictures in previous posts to prove my point on the OP... ...even having to lower the tendency at times. Especially with Zone Usage at 100 playing versus CPU for Gameplay purposes...letting everyone know that we don't need to change too many sliders to get desired results if one thing can alter the landscape of the game in a huge way. I have always tweaked too many sliders throughout years and stumbled across this because I was tired. Now, I still tweak, but not as much with this method. The game appears more straight forward whereas you get what you put into it, along with it appearing more modern, allowing less tweaking to match today's game style. Just my two cents...having fun with it.

Keep posting! We'd love to see more insight and knowledge. It may help someone on the forum.

Last edited by devroyce; 08-03-2019 at 06:50 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Sliders »