Home

Swing influence approach

This is a discussion on Swing influence approach within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 10-30-2023, 02:34 PM   #1
Rookie

Doyoueven85's Arena

OVR: 0
Swing influence approach

What’s up,

I’ve been using strictly directional hitting since 2020. I’ve recently gone up a level in both hitting and pitching. Typically I just hit x and don’t use the stick to influence. But I’m thinking it’s probably necessary to have success with hitting on a higher level. I think it can be helpful in situations like needing a fly ball to get a runner in or to go the opposite way. But I’m confused as to use it on every pitch, in situations or to never use it. The only thing I see an issue with is when facing a pitcher from the same side such as righties versus righties. I have dead pull hitters or balanced hitters that I try to pull with a I know when doing so they lose vision. I’ve been trying to just go to the opposite field when facing the same sided pitcher but I lose power by doing so. So I’m just wondering what everyone uses for an approach.

Last edited by Doyoueven85; 10-30-2023 at 03:02 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-30-2023, 04:23 PM   #2
Pro

Re: Swing influence approach

I've actually started using swing influence less.

I play on AS+ and tend to use influence situationally. If I have a 2 strike count I tend to influence away and use a contact swing until I get to 2-2 or 3-2. Depending on the situation (if i have runners on with 2 outs and just need a hit to tie or something like that) I may continue the contact swing/away influence.

I rarely use power swing. In 0 or 1 strike count I may use the pull influence with a normal swing. If I have runners on and someone with decent home run power (60 or above) I may pull.

It all depends. As I said its situational for me.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 11-05-2023, 08:58 PM   #3
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19

I pull on hitters counts and influence down otherwise (it's not really trying to hit a ground ball, more like trying to hit a line drive; I've hit no doubt home runs influencing down). With power hitters, I might be more aggressive pulling, speedier guys I might push down more.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Old 11-05-2023, 10:42 PM   #4
MVP

NYJin2011tm's Arena

I never use it, I just don’t like it. I never have liked it. I feel like influence should be by me and my timing. If I want to pull I swing early, go the other way swing late. Fly ball I look for a pitch up, groundball I look for pitch down.
Old 11-10-2023, 07:17 AM   #5
Rookie

buziii's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJin2011tm
I feel like influence should be by me and my timing. If I want to pull I swing early, go the other way swing late. Fly ball I look for a pitch up, groundball I look for pitch down.
Your swing timing has a much bigger influence on the result than the swing influence. If you swing influence away, but swing early, you will pull the ball, for example.

Like someone else said, I use it situationally. If I need a fly ball, I influence up. I believe it increases my chances of hitting a fly ball, but I won't always hit a fly ball depending on where the pitch is located, my swing timing, etc. I also think it increases my chances to hit a HR, but also increases my chances to pop it up. I'll swing influence away to try to hit away from the shift. I rarely influence down or to pull.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-10-2023, 07:46 AM   #6
Pro

Just to add to this, while I use it situationally it doesnt always work as others have said. I've had scenarios where I have used a contact swing and influenced away because I have an 0-2 count with a power hitter and I need them to at least get on base, but instead they hit a HR. Not complaining obviously, but the influence isn't the be all end all.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 11-10-2023, 08:26 AM   #7
MVP

NYJin2011tm's Arena

Yea I know it’s not the be all end all of influencing which way the ball is going and your timing is the biggest thing. I just never liked it, just like I never liked guess pitch.
Old 11-21-2023, 06:26 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannybeingManny
This game is to beautiful for it to be to complicated.
If you find the influence system too complicated simply switch your controls to timing. The beauty of the Show is that you can play it any way you want to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »