Home

Give criticism when deserved but have to give credit too

This is a discussion on Give criticism when deserved but have to give credit too within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 03-10-2024, 11:38 AM   #1
MVP

ltw0303cavs's Arena

OVR: 10
Give criticism when deserved but have to give credit too

I have been a big critic of the graphical part of game BUT i also have to give credit to SDS. For them to say they have a long term plan, that they want to give love to ALL modes. To me thats all they had to say, speak to your fans and I dont mean Sony PR talk. Its what they have missed when they stopped doing live streams and went to "feature premiers" They stopped talking directly to us with real talk. SO I appreciate that. IF they get this game up to standard graphics wise ? It improves everything. Immersion, now you really want those uniform unlocks, sleeveless jerseys now become fire. Now you go back to days just taking camera and going around the ballparks which was a lot of fun. They get ballparks/uniforms to current gen ? I go back to buying not only the game ? but preordering the digital deluxe i promise you that
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2024, 11:50 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Give criticism when deserved but have to give credit too

They definitely have areas in the game that could be improved and we'll definitely discover more of those when we're all playing it in a week and start finding bugs.

But the year to year consistency of the game, in addition to the developers' transparency and forward-facing approach (especially at pre-launch) has awarded them a lot of patience on my end.

I'd love custom draft classes and roster functionalities in franchise, of course. Storylines is something I didn't know I wanted until I played it and loved it. The give and take here is pretty healthy imo
Old 03-10-2024, 12:55 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

I will give them credit for work done, not work that they say will be done eventually. Their plan is completely meaningless in 2024. I do not want to spend money on the game now because they say the game in 2 years will have the improvements we've been asking for for nearly a decade.

As it stands now, the game is severely lacking in the areas that are most important to me. It does not appear bullpen or lineup logic were redone like they desperately needed. Franchise mode looks to remain lacking in features and depth. Expanded rosters are still not in. And, not as important, but still a clear sign of the stagnation, the graphics are pretty terrible for a AAA game on current gen.

I will be fair and credit them when they deserve it. I will criticize when it is warranted. Unfortunately, the criticism has been more warranted in recent years than the credit has simply due to how little progression they've made in many areas since the move to the PS4. They have somehow found a way to have less year over year improvements and changes than EA has had with Madden. I didn't think I would ever see that become reality 10-15 years ago when this series was constantly adding in 100s to 1,000s of little details annually along with nice larger improvements.

When SDS begins going in on the things that are more important to me, like franchise mode, CPU logic, and other items, then I will start giving them more credit. I can give them credit for improving faces finally and having them only look 5 years behind instead of 10, but there is still plenty of work to be done. I know plenty here will say making games is hard and all that, and it is not entirely wrong, but I also am being charged a AAA price for this game, so I will hold it to a AAA standard. The team is paid to develop a game, so even if some tasks are more difficult than others, that's what they literally get paid to do. Programming, art, etc., it is all their jobs, so I always think the "it's difficult" excuse is a bit of a cop out, honestly.

I mean, imagine me telling my CEO that I can't get the financial statements done in time because it is difficult due to other departments slacking off. I'd get laughed at. I get paid the money I get paid to get my job done. Some tasks are easy, some are pretty difficult. That's why I get paid and it is called a job. Video game development teams are no different. I don't know why it is one of the few industries that gets to hide behind the "difficult" excuse as often as they do. And, I am not calling the programmers or artists lazy, so don't even try to read it that way. I am simply stating that they have a job to do and their price point dictates what standard that job must be held to, and, quite frankly, I personally don't feel the year to year progression they make matches the AAA standard their price point puts them at.

― Plato

Last edited by canes21; 03-10-2024 at 01:09 PM.
Old 03-10-2024, 01:06 PM   #4
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
As it stands now, the game is severely lacking in the areas that are most important to me. It does not appear bullpen or lineup logic were redone like they desperately needed. Franchise mode looks to remain lacking in features and depth. Expanded rosters are still not in. And, not as important, but still a clear sign of the stagnation, the graphics are pretty terrible for a AAA game on current gen.

I will be fair and credit them when they deserve it. I will criticize when it is warranted. Unfortunately, the criticism has been more warranted in recent years than the credit has simply due to how little progression they've made in many areas since the move to the PS4. They have somehow found a way to have less year over year improvements and changes than EA has had with Madden. I didn't think I would ever see that become reality 10-15 years ago when this series was constantly adding in 100s to 1,000s of little details annually along with nice larger improvements.

When SDS begins going in on the things that are more important to me, like franchise mode, CPU logic, and other items, then I will start giving them more credit. I can give them credit for improving faces finally and having them only look 5 years behind instead of 10, but there is still plenty of work to be done. I know plenty here will say making games is hard and all that, and it is not entirely wrong, but I also am being charged a AAA price for this game, so I will hold it to a AAA standard. The team is paid to develop a game, so even if some tasks are more difficult than others, that's what they literally get paid to do. Programming, art, etc., it is all their jobs, so I always think the "it's difficult" excuse is a bit of a cop out, honestly.
It's fair to critique them for saying their job is difficult and they should still get it done anyway. I think where the disconnect is, Sony is still choosing to pay them so I guess in Sony's eyes the devs actually are getting that difficult job done.
#44Syracuse
One's convicted, the other's a born liar.
Instead of George and Reggie, Billy Martin could have been talking about Donald and Joe.
Nov. 5, Choose: None of the Above
Old 03-10-2024, 01:12 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Of The Year
It's fair to critique them for saying their job is difficult and they should still get it done anyway. I think where the disconnect is, Sony is still choosing to pay them so I guess in Sony's eyes the devs actually are getting that difficult job done.
The argument isn't whether we think the devs are doing a good enough job to deserve salaries from Sony. If we are going to go down this route, then we shouldn't criticize any video game out there as they were all obviously good enough for the workers to get paid.

What you're saying basically has nothing to do with what I actually said and is a straw man more than anything, unsurprisingly.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

― Plato

Last edited by canes21; 03-10-2024 at 02:18 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2024, 01:22 PM   #6
Cleveland Baseball Guru

Funkycorm's Arena

So of course credit due where credit is due.

But.....

You can't give them or anyone for that matter credit for a plan that is only a plan. Until they execute their plan, it is nothing more than a plan. Same goes for any company that has a plan yet to be implemented.

If they execute their plan, great. If they don't, then they don't.

But they don't get credit or good faith from me for their plan until they show they can execute their vision.

Currently Playing:

No Man's Sky (PS5)
Pokemon Violet (Switch)
Stardew Valley (PC)

Twitch:

Twitch

Dynasties:

None at the moment
Old 03-10-2024, 01:45 PM   #7
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
Thr argument isn't whether we think the devs are doing a good enough job to deserve salaries from Sony. If we are going to go down this route, then we shouldn't critize any video out there as they were all obviously good enough for the workers to get paid.

What you're saying basically has nothing to do with what I actually said and is a straw man more than anything, unsurprisingly.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
Alright then, my bad. I guess you lost me again, unsurprisingly.
#44Syracuse
One's convicted, the other's a born liar.
Instead of George and Reggie, Billy Martin could have been talking about Donald and Joe.
Nov. 5, Choose: None of the Above
Old 03-10-2024, 03:35 PM   #8
MVP

LegendKillerOne's Arena

I am trying to understand what are we giving them credit for and what are we not?

Based on most of the threads those who are NOT happy are mostly upset over the lack of franchise mode editions and graphics.

Those who ARE happy are enjoying all the new editions to the game.

I feel like we still are missing the point. Devs do not just come up with an idea and put it in. A lot more people are involved. They are doing their job because what they are doing was signed off from people higher up then them before they did it. SO, if you are in the NOT happy group be NOT happy with the people who make the final decision.
NHL: New York Rangers
NCAAFOOTBALL: Miami Hurricanes
NCAABASKETBALL: Duke Blue Devils

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »