Home

Did ANYONE like 2K4 OVER 2K5??

This is a discussion on Did ANYONE like 2K4 OVER 2K5?? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 07-31-2007, 12:36 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 17
Did ANYONE like 2K4 OVER 2K5??

I dont know...I love how they did some things in NFL2K5 but I still felt the actual gameplay in 2K4 had more of an organic feel where anything could happen on any play...at least moreso than in 2K5. In 2k5, I saw alot of similar results from certain plays...hard to describe.

Anyways......Am I the only one that slightly favored the gameplay of 2K4 over 2K5?

And btw, does ALL PRO football tweak the gameplay even further over 2K4 and 2K5? Enough to make it an even much more organic, anything can happen on any play feel? the previous versions of 2K football had a very stiff and rubbery feel to the player collisions and movements
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-31-2007, 07:22 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 26
Re: Did ANYONE like 2K4 OVER 2K5??

Last year around this time, I got tired of the AI issues with 2K5, and started playing 2K4 instead. Without question, out of the box the game plays much better than 2K5. The CPU AI is top-notch, with the exception of the issue with never throwing long passes. I even prefer a number of graphical and presentation things about the game over 2K5.

But I went back to 2K5 after a few weeks. 2K4 has one HUGE programming glitch that I just can't get past: CPU defenders take bad pursuit angles on the sidelines. And a big part of my game plan is lobbing the ball to the HB near the sidelines, which is money in that game.

Anyway, the past year I've been using Finn's editor (thanks Finn! ) to make improvements to the CPU AI in 2K5. Things are at the point where I feel the CPU QB and DB AI issues are basically fixed now. And 2K5 overall is the better game by far, IMO. So I doubt I'll ever feel the urge or need to play 2K4 again.

Last edited by baa7; 07-31-2007 at 07:37 AM.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:36 AM   #3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_Bonami
2K4 had more of an organic feel where anything could happen on any play...at least moreso than in 2K5. In 2k5, I saw alot of similar results from certain plays...hard to describe.
Not hard to understand though. I've been saying that since 2K5 came out. What's entirely obvious is VC set out to 'fix' some of the issues with 2K4, and they did it by programming AI cheats into 2K5.

And in some cases, they 'broke' the programming to fix the problems. Kick returns are the most obvious example. They gave the CPU kick defenders a speed and tackle boost/cheat, while dumbing down the User block protection programming. I've spent HOURS testing kickoffs. I lowered the CPU kickoff team's speed and tackle ratings way down - to 0 in some cases - yet the CPU still manages to catch and tackle User kick returners every time.

A couple more areas where cheats were programmed in include the CPU's ability to pick off passes, and to get into position to knock passes down (VC's form of jet-packing). But it's done differently than Madden's cheats. What VC did, is they programmed the User QB to throw the ball in the entirely wrong direction at times. Again, I've tested this extensively, and can tell you that a User QB will sometimes miss his target by as much as 10 yards sideways on a 10-15 yard pass (!). And of course, who is it that just happens to be standing there 10 yards off to the side, with open arms waiting for the INT? Why, the CPU LB of course!
Old 07-31-2007, 01:17 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 21

If you use editor to tone down RB's, I think the game plays much better than 2K5 on the field. CPU QB's are better, DBs are more realistic. You lose nothing graphically in the 2K4 version...aside from the halftime/end game highlights show which is about the best thing about 2K5.

Finn's editors can correct alot of sins in 2K5...but out of the box, 2K4 is the better game if you don't want to spend hours editing attributes, etc (except for RB break tackle ratings).

C
Old 07-31-2007, 01:25 PM   #5
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

Yup for CPU gaming 2K4 was easily better. Something definitely went off in the AI department for 2K5, perhaps the arrival of VIP triggered it.

To be honest, 2K games have been like this ever since IMO. I haven't tried 2K8, but NBA and NHL 2K7 to me were, while great fun and the best in both of their respective sports, quite lacking in AI. NBA 2K7 sometimes is so predictable and ******** it hurts.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-31-2007, 01:25 PM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by capa
If you use editor to tone down RB's, I think the game plays much better than 2K5 on the field. CPU QB's are better, DBs are more realistic. You lose nothing graphically in the 2K4 version...aside from the halftime/end game highlights show which is about the best thing about 2K5.

Finn's editors can correct alot of sins in 2K5...but out of the box, 2K4 is the better game if you don't want to spend hours editing attributes, etc (except for RB break tackle ratings).

C
I would agree with that. But again, the pursuit angle glitch in 2K4 is literally a gamekiller IMO. Impossible to play a football game when you know that every run up the sidelines will net you 15+ yards, and very often a TD.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:53 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by capa

C
I thought 2K5 looked much nicer than 2k4 in many aspects. The player models, the football itself, the fields(grass), and the upclose shots after plays really made 2k5 shine imo - but thats just me
Old 07-31-2007, 04:23 PM   #8
All Star

OVR: 49

i liked 2k5 more, it was a great game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »