Home

Difficulty Levels

This is a discussion on Difficulty Levels within the EA Sports FC and FIFA forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 05-23-2023, 04:46 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 8
Difficulty Levels

Background ... I have always (for like the past 12 years ... I have been playing FIFA for many years) used two different difficulty levels to distinguish between playing HOME games and AWAY games. I am willing to accept that it should be harder to win on the road ... and I build that into the way I set up the game in the pre-match.

My question is ... why is the gap between two adjacent difficulty levels so far apart?

When I play at home (using PROFESSIONAL) ... I can steamroll almost every opponent regardless of the quality of the opponent (I can rout Forest just as easily as I can rout Liverpool).

When I play away (using WORLD CLASS) ... I am suddenly useless and lose to any opponent (I get smushed by Man City the same as getting smushed by Watford).

I would really prefer something more honest ... I *should* be able to complete with bad teams in road games, and I *should* have a real challenge to beat good teams in home games.

My home record in my previous season was something like 17-1-1 ... and my road record was something like 1-3-13 ... it is almost as if the outcome is predetermined simply by selecting between PROFESSIONAL and WORLD CLASS.

I do not want to win EVERY home game (yes, I do like winning ... but I want things to be somewhat realistic) ... and I do not want to lose EVERY road game.

In road games ... I find the that the CPU is allowed to get away with WAY more tackles, I am constantly dis-possessed *right* as I am about to shout, my goalkeeper turns into a pumpkin, my players make DOZENS more errant passes ...

Any ways to fix this? Anyone want to sympathize?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-25-2023, 11:33 AM   #2
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: Difficulty Levels

Part of this is sliders. Sliders will make a huge difference in how this all plays out. I play on World Class and I will be the first to admit I am not the most amazing player. I'm also using Matt10's sliders on slow, and it creates a better experience IMO.

Part of this also comes down to how you're playing the game and how your team is built to play (and what the team tactics actually are). If your tactics are set so that your players are expecting the long ball and you're trying to dribble past everyone, you're playing against what your players are expecting. Likewise, if you're trying to play the long ball and the players expect short passes, they won't make the runs.

In short, pass the ball sooner, utilize aerial throughballs when you can, and don't rush the play. When the CPU is on the rush, smart football is never played in a straight line, so the CPU is going to look to pass backwards to a trailing player. Cut off the pass to that player and force the player with the ball to take a bad angle shot or risk passing it directly into you.

The biggest offender, IMO, is when holding onto the ball for too long or trying to pass at the last second. This is when you're going to see these errant passes the most, because the player will fall under pressure. Make those passes sooner, especially vs high pressure teams. You really need to move the ball quickly vs those teams and punish them for rushing at you.

Lastly, be realistic about the team you're playing with. If you're playing with an MLS team, your players are going to be very inconsistent. And perhaps full manual is a bit much?

Last edited by Broncos86; 05-25-2023 at 11:37 AM.
Old 05-25-2023, 01:50 PM   #3

dubcity's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpHSpH
Any ways to fix this? Anyone want to sympathize?
No. Yes.

Only advice on World Class is to sit back and defend in numbers, and be aggressive on offense. But I too have seen my own goalkeepers do the dumbest **** on higher difficulty, and CPU keepers seem bullet proof. The game does not want you to win comfortably ever on anything above professional, and will fight you on it. Penalties are another example. I assume the CPU will guess the right direction most of the time on higher difficulties.
Old 05-25-2023, 06:35 PM   #4
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubcity
No. Yes.

Only advice on World Class is to sit back and defend in numbers, and be aggressive on offense. But I too have seen my own goalkeepers do the dumbest **** on higher difficulty, and CPU keepers seem bullet proof. The game does not want you to win comfortably ever on anything above professional, and will fight you on it. Penalties are another example. I assume the CPU will guess the right direction most of the time on higher difficulties.
So, a couple things.

1) The point is that you don't win comfortably all the time. If you are, then you aren't at the right difficulty setting (unless you like always winning 7-0).

2) My 9 year old plays on World Class. No, he is not some gaming guru. He plays soccer competitively and understands how the game should flow, though. World Class is not some indomitable setting.

Let's be clear: how you play matters. And nobody ever wants to talk about HOW they play the game. "This is too hard." But they don't tell you it's because they never pass, or try to force a specific style of play on their team.

Don't take shots from outside the box with people who have bad long shot ratings. Don't be surprised when your CM with 50 Finishing misses inside the box. How you play matters.
Old 05-29-2023, 09:51 PM   #5
Pro

sabres32's Arena

OVR: 2

I know some about soccer but I read that on average there are 20 fouls called per game. I play on professional and the last game I played there were only 2 fouls in the game. Is there a way to get more fouls?

Also I’m curious about corner kicks. I read that on average there is 11 corner kicks per game in real life. Corner kicks obviously can’t be controlled by sliders but how many do people see in FIFA 23?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-08-2023, 05:16 PM   #6
Rookie

dirk1970's Arena

OVR: 0

I have the same problem - professional is way too easy and world class is too tough. World class seams to the the first difficulty level, where the ai starts to obviously cheat. Ball physics are starting to get really weird and even average teams sometimes seam to have 10 Messis in their line up.
Old 07-12-2023, 09:14 PM   #7
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk1970
I have the same problem - professional is way too easy and world class is too tough. World class seams to the the first difficulty level, where the ai starts to obviously cheat. Ball physics are starting to get really weird and even average teams sometimes seam to have 10 Messis in their line up.
On World Class? No, most certainly not. At least, not with Matt10's sliders.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA »