Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-06-2003, 12:45 PM   #1
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I Can't Believe I'm Defending Martha

So I was reading about Martha when I stumbled on this Yahoo article detailing how she is being charged with stock fraud because she said she was innocent! WTF? Now I hope she takes it on the chin on the lying to the feds stuff, but charging that she was committing stock fraud because she knew she wasn't innocent is ludicrous. Could someone please stop the Justice Dept.?

If you say you're innocent, you're GUILTY!

JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 12:47 PM   #2
bbor
Pro Starter

If she is guilty..then she deserves a HUGE fine....she can afford it...meanwhile the little people get screwed out of their money.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 12:49 PM   #3
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I agree.
also interesting to note that she was NOT charged with insider trading (apparantly it is very, very difficult to prove).

still, she deserves to get the book thrown at her, and maybe even spend some time in a pound-me-in-the-ass prison.

AND THEN they need to go after the countless other people who do this all the time with the same conviction.
Old 06-06-2003, 12:51 PM   #4
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
maybe even spend some time in a pound-me-in-the-ass prison.

ummmm...is this accurate?
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 12:56 PM   #5
cuervo72
Head Coach

Martha's Recipe for Pound-Me-In-The-Ass Honey Butter
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 12:56 PM   #6
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Anrhydeddu
ummmm...is this accurate?

it might be good for her.

if there was ever someone who needed a little anal sex to help her lighten up a little bit, it's Martha Stewart.
Old 06-06-2003, 01:02 PM   #7
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

I agree, I just didn't think they had the, ummm, wherewithall to, ahh, do that in a women's prison. Nevermind.
Old 06-06-2003, 01:32 PM   #8
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
I agree, I just didn't think they had the, ummm, wherewithall to, ahh, do that in a women's prison. Nevermind.

You have soooo much to learn young one

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 01:39 PM   #9
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by bbor

Young one?
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 01:53 PM   #10
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

As much as I dislike Martha and am perfectly happy to see her go to jail, I can't help but feel like this is a case of the feds nailing the small-time crook celebrity while the CEOs behind the billion-dollar collapses will skate. A nice distraction, if you will.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 02:04 PM   #11
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Maple Leafs
As much as I dislike Martha and am perfectly happy to see her go to jail, I can't help but feel like this is a case of the feds nailing the small-time crook celebrity while the CEOs behind the billion-dollar collapses will skate. A nice distraction, if you will.

Agreed.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 02:29 PM   #12
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:

You'd be surprised what you can do with a mop handle.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 02:35 PM   #13
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by bbor
You know Bucc is like 83 right?
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 02:35 PM   #14
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

It's been decades since I've seen a women prison movie, the kind where everyone is in a tight gray t-shirt and everyone is named Honey. It doesn't matter anyways, Stewart doesn't look good in gray - it makes her looks like the old dump that she really is.
Old 06-06-2003, 02:39 PM   #15
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
You know Bucc is like 83 right?

Quote:
It's been decades since I've seen a women prison movie, the kind where everyone is in a tight gray t-shirt and everyone is named Honey. It doesn't matter anyways, Stewart doesn't look good in gray - it makes her looks like the old dump that she really is.

Case in point. How many members here can say it's been decades since they've seen a women prison movie? Heck, I'm 29 and "decades" ago, I was a bit young for women prison movies.
Old 06-06-2003, 03:01 PM   #16
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by scooper
Case in point. How many members here can say it's been decades since they've seen a women prison movie? Heck, I'm 29 and "decades" ago, I was a bit young for women prison movies.

Come on, I'm 29 and I've seen my share on Skinemax

For example:

Under Lock and Key

Chained Heat II

And with a twist:

Desert Passion
Old 06-06-2003, 03:11 PM   #17
scooper
College Benchwarmer

We only had basic cable.
Old 06-06-2003, 03:16 PM   #18
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
We only had basic cable.

My apologies...I think they still run some of then every now and then. Of course, I don't get any movie channels now. And I don't think my wife would be too enamored with women-in-prison movies.
Old 06-06-2003, 03:34 PM   #19
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

To completely threadjack this for a second, has anyone seen the Duckman episode called "Caged Heat II" that was a parody of a women's prison including the "Carpet Party" musical number? It just goes to show that the censors should never fall asleep even if it's just for a cartoon at midnight or later on USA.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 03:41 PM   #20
Happy29
In The Penalty Box

Location: To reveal my location, you must decipher a series of traps, each more deadly than the last.
We gotta remember than Martha only stole $200,000. The Feds all the sudden are hunting her down for that while those fatcats Enron and Worldcom are getting away with billions. Shows that are businessmen and businesswomen are honorary folks who wont cheat, lie or steal until this "honest" Bush administration.
Happy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 03:44 PM   #21
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally posted by cuervo72
My apologies...I think they still run some of then every now and then.

But, what good are women's prison movies on basic cable?
Old 06-06-2003, 03:45 PM   #22
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
We only had basic cable.

and none of the channels showed Charlie's Angels re-runs?
Old 06-06-2003, 03:46 PM   #23
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

How do you know, happy? Stewart is getting all of the media because of who she is - a manipulator of the media herself. All of the others don't get any attention because you and I never heard of them. Nice of you to play the class warfare card.
Old 06-06-2003, 04:06 PM   #24
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

And of course, don't forget... right up until January 2001, Enron and Tyco and every other big company was playing by the books, right? They only started cooking the books and screwing the stockholder AFTER Bush took office, I'm sure.
Old 06-06-2003, 11:23 PM   #25
Happy29
In The Penalty Box

Location: To reveal my location, you must decipher a series of traps, each more deadly than the last.
Well, I don't know and you damn well dont know either. It's pure speculation.... like everything said on this thread. Here's some more speculation: All of the others in Enron we never hear of because they've contributed millions to the Bush Election campaign.

Last edited by Happy29 : 06-06-2003 at 11:28 PM.
Old 06-07-2003, 12:38 AM   #26
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I enjoy a good Bush bashing (pun intended) as the next guy, but I think the difference between Ken Lay (proud University of Missouri graduate) and Martha is:

1) Martha has made herself a list of enemies a mile long, whereas Ken Lay was an annonymous CEO; and
2) She's a chick and an outside. I guarantee that the phrase "we're going to get that bitch" has been the motto of Martha's investigators.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 12:53 AM   #27
Happy29
In The Penalty Box

Yes, join the party.
Old 06-07-2003, 01:50 AM   #28
mrskippy
Banned

My feeling on Martha is this:

There are all sorts of corporate scandals going on, but with Martha it is different. The former heads of Enron and WorldCom aren't famous people like Martha. They aren't celebrities. And most people wouldn't recognize them.

My belief is that they are going to make an example of Martha Stewart. It should be noted that Martha has backstabbed and screwed over many people in her career.

She's also been involved in stock fraud before. Apparently, she's screwed people on investments. And she's rather crafty when it comes to her business dealings.

While it is plausible that Martha had an open order, things don't look good. Apparently the trade confirmation document has been doctored to reflect the open order. The thing is that most brokerage houses are required, by law, to keep all communication and they've likely got something on her that says she may very well have placed the trade when she did.

I think Martha will be convicted on at least some of the charges against her -- at the very least for obstruction of justice. But, I wouldn't be surprised if a jury nails her ass. Again, she may be a domestic maven, but she has a bad reputation amongst her peers.

If Martha is convicted, worst case scenario is she goes to a country club prison and serves minimal time. I don't see her getting a full 30 years (that's what the crimes carry) in a maxed out Federal Pent.

As for Martha Stewart Omnimedia, I think you can stick a fork in it. If the advertisers start pulling from the magazine and from her show, that's the end of that. Her only hope would be Kmart, where her products still sell regardless. And with Kmart's trouble, they'll keep her on despite the problems.

But even the Kmart deal may be in trouble. Apparently Target has signed a similar deal with Isaac Mizrahi to produce a line of bed linens and the Martha sort of things.

In other words -- Martha's got some competition.
mrskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 01:58 AM   #29
Happy29
In The Penalty Box

I'm not a defender of Martha Stewart and I do agree, she has left many of her friends in the dust while she made her bloodless but still evil rise to power. . The only thing the Feds need to do is to do the same thing on those Enron CEOS and others who have done wrong on their investors, not just for fairness's sake, but for justice.
Old 06-07-2003, 02:04 AM   #30
mrskippy
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Happy29
The only thing the Feds need to do is to do the same thing on those Enron CEOS and others who have done wrong on their investors, not just for fairness's sake, but for justice.

Amen to that. I don't think the current recession would be as bad if it wasn't for these scandals.

I think much of the concern from 9/11 and the war on terror has waned.

And looking at dot-com stocks today, it's hard to believe that the bubble ever burst. Just take a look at what eBay, Yahoo, Amazon, Netflix, and other Internet stocks have done recently.

I think things will get better once the Feds start enforcing the laws on these matters more than they already do.
mrskippy is offline   Reply With Quote