Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-05-2003, 03:19 PM   #1
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

OT - Dooley ousted in Athens

UGA President says Dooley's contract will not be renewed when it expires in June '04. The former-coach-now-AD had earlier asked for a 4 year extension.

http://www.ajc.com/uga/content/sport.../05dooley.htmlAJC article

JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 03:41 PM   #2
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

WOW!!!! An actual sign of the old "Good Ole' Boy" mentality at UGA and in the $EC possibly changing... Nah!!

By the way, do you think the Football Program's (which is Dooley's responsiblility when it all comes down to it) handling of the SEC Championship Rings situation played a part in this decision?

That, to go along with the Basketball Team's affairs... Change is a comin' in Athens.
Old 06-05-2003, 06:50 PM   #3
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally posted by MylesKnight
WOW!!!! An actual sign of the old "Good Ole' Boy" mentality at UGA and in the $EC possibly changing... Nah!!

By the way, do you think the Football Program's (which is Dooley's responsiblility when it all comes down to it) handling of the SEC Championship Rings situation played a part in this decision?

That, to go along with the Basketball Team's affairs... Change is a comin' in Athens.

Nope, this has been coming. Actually don't know why this is news, because it was long in coming. The agreement long ago was Dooley was on his last contract. He has needed to go a while back, but Adams needs to go even worse.

As for the handling the ring situation, how could it have come out any better? It was handled perfectly. They should not have lost eligibility, and they did not. Why would he lose his job over that?
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 09:14 PM   #4
ctmason
High School JV

I'm more surprised that he even asked for an extension. A formality maybe?

I was under the impression everyone wanted him gone after '04, including Dooley himself.
ctmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 09:38 PM   #5
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I don't think the request was mere formality, the quote about ''I usually take things pretty much on balance,'' he said Thursday afternoon. ''It will probably be more emotional for other people.''
makes it sound like he's disappointed as well.
Old 06-05-2003, 10:18 PM   #6
tucker342
Pro Starter

doesn't really surprise me...
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 08:32 AM   #7
wbatl1
High School Varsity

This is just of sign of Adams wanting more power. Dooley and Adams are the two men with power on the Georgia campus, and I think Adams is trying to get the majority of that power. It was time for Dolley to go, as his heart was questioned a while back, but they should keep him on as a fundraiser consultant(or something of the sort).
Personally, I hope every booster stops sending in money(a tad unrealistic) and the georgia program withers and dies(also unrealistic).

WB
Old 06-06-2003, 11:19 AM   #8
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by GrantDawg

As for the handling the ring situation, how could it have come out any better? It was handled perfectly. They should not have lost eligibility, and they did not. Why would he lose his job over that?

After re-reading what I wrote, I see what you're saying.. The Athletic Dept. handled the Ring Fiasco about as well as you could have.. I suppose I was just lumping that situation in with the other, shall we say problems, that have been going on within the University of Georgia Athletic Department as of late.

I was a bit disappointed to see those Football Players not given a bit more of a stiffer sentence, including Game Suspensions. I mean look at what they did, they basically completely disrespected their fellow teammates and the rest of the UGA Football Program by selling those rings.. Now I don't want to get into that whole argument of these players not having much/any money while the school makes millions off of the Football Program and all of that... The bottom line is they took what should've been a treasured keepsake and sold it to the highest bidder.. If I'm Mark Richt, I'm really questioning whether I want these kinds of guys in my program to be honest with you.
Old 06-06-2003, 11:32 AM   #9
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
After re-reading what I wrote, I see what you're saying.. The Athletic Dept. handled the Ring Fiasco about as well as you could have.. I suppose I was just lumping that situation in with the other, shall we say problems, that have been going on within the University of Georgia Athletic Department as of late.

I was a bit disappointed to see those Football Players not given a bit more of a stiffer sentence, including Game Suspensions. I mean look at what they did, they basically completely disrespected their fellow teammates and the rest of the UGA Football Program by selling those rings.. Now I don't want to get into that whole argument of these players not having much/any money while the school makes millions off of the Football Program and all of that... The bottom line is they took what should've been a treasured keepsake and sold it to the highest bidder.. If I'm Mark Richt, I'm really questioning whether I want these kinds of guys in my program to be honest with you.

He is not going soft on the players. The plan I've heard is he is going to leave it up to the team, since it was the team they disrespected. They are going to have open meeting and let everyone get their say. Anything more would be too much imho.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 02:37 PM   #10
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
The bottom line is they took what should've been a treasured keepsake and sold it to the highest bidder.. If I'm Mark Richt, I'm really questioning whether I want these kinds of guys in my program to be honest with you.

If you go on Ebay right now you can find championship or bowl-game rings on sale for teams such as Florida, Miami, Ga Tech, FSU, Arizona St, Auburn, Seton Hall, and tons of others.

This has NOTHING to do with selling a keepsake to the highest bidder. The problem with this is that the players who sold their rings were still in school. The only reason that the rule is on the books is to combat a possible source of corruption. For instance, a UGA booster could have "bought" Musa Smith's SEC championship ring for $500,000 with a wink-wink "as long as you stay in school for your senior year and not go pro."

The reason why the NCAA didn't punish the players is because the sales of these rings was not corrupt. The rule states that you cannot sell them for "above market value". Well, market value is really whatever you can get for it, right? So as long as there was no corruption involved, there is no punishment. The NCAA is re-writing the rule so it is more clear for the future.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote