Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-05-2003, 02:46 PM   #1
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Neuheisel could lose job!?!?!

On ESPN.com:

Neuheisel

I like that he bet money, and now there's issues. However, is the NCAA being hypocritical? Here is a quote:

"If an athlete or coach put $1 in a pool, certainly there would not be a significant penalty," said Bill Saum, the NCAA's director of agent, gambling and amateurism activities. "If there is a significant amount of money in the pool, there would be a significant penalty."

Look, either gambling is against NCAA regulations or it isn't. Why should the amount matter? There no rule that states coaches can't gamble on NCAA events with winnings over $X dollars, so why draw a financial line?

Seems more like a witch hunt to make an example out of the guy.

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 03:55 PM   #2
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

You have to understand why the NCAA has the restrictions on gambling by players, coaches and athletic department staffers: any suggestion that the outcome of a game might be tainted by gambling-related activities kills the spirit of the contest and dramatically reduces the interest in the sport.

The reason the NCAA would act lightly on a $1 office pool bet vs. acting harshly on a bet of $5,000 is the difference in potential impact - a guy spending $1 on a bet is unlikely to take any action that might compromise the outcome of a game. A $5,000 bet on the other hand is much more high stakes.

I'm not suggesting that Neuheisel used any influence or inside information in placing his bet; however, you have to be aware that such contact and influence is certainly possible, and with the amount involved motive certainly increases.

Chances are it was simply Rick and his wealthy neighbors (like Jack Sikma) playing a more spendy version of the types of office pools many of us indulge in. Considering his $1.5M salary, a $5,000 bet isn't that big a deal, but it's still a pretty hefty number to you and me. On the surface, it doesn't really seem like something to get too bent out of shape over.

However, there are multiple things to keep in mind here:

1. The NCAA has always made very clear that gambling is forbidden for all associated with college athletics - period. Allowing the head coach of a major program to get away with breaking these rules undermines the value of such rules, and sets a real bad example for his players.

2. Rick is no stranger to controversy; as a Husky fan, I was initially skeptical of his hire given his past at CU. I was initially won over by his early success with the Rose Bowl win and was impressed with how he handled the Curtis Williams tragedy. However, the subsequent mediocre seasons that showed a trend away from traditional Husky football strengths of tough defense and strong running games, combined with the 49er gate and his past recruiting violations have left most Husky fans feeling that he was on very thin ice, and needed a big season to boost his standings. This controversy is going to be the redwood tree that breaks the camel's back.

It's too bad - I've spoken to him briefly and seen him in multiple public situations and always found him to be a funny, friendly, charming and charismatic guy. He's undoubtably a smart guy, but his wisdom has certainly been lacking, and he displays the traits of arrogance and lack of respect for rules. I feel bad for the team which will have to endure a coaching search at a very bad time.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 03:57 PM   #3
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

When I first saw the story, I thought, "That's no fair - we all do those stupid office pools." And then I saw the amount of money involved!

What a moran.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 04:02 PM   #4
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Neuheisel's past indiscretions are about to really bite him in the a$$ here... and I mean hard..
Old 06-05-2003, 04:08 PM   #5
Craptacular
College Starter

You missed my "Slick Rick" thread that turned into a Rob Base & DJ EZ Rock rap-fest.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 06:23 PM   #6
MrBug708
Head Coach

People said the same thing to Peter Dalis about Jim Harrick. He lied, it's not such a big deal, give him a chance. Nothing that serious. Luckily Peter Dalis cared more about image, in this cas, then winning.

I hope Hedges makes the same decision
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 07:00 PM   #7
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Hedges has no choice in the matter - Rick will be gone. In fact, I expect an announcement later tonight to that effect.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 07:03 PM   #8
MrBug708
Head Coach

4pm- Meet with School officals

5pm- Meet with Coaches

6pm- Meet with players

Seems like he is meeting with coaches right now
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 07:28 PM   #9
TroyF
Coordinator

Hate to say "I told you so"

I predicted that he'd have early success at Washington and then he'd start losing as he brought in his own recruits. I said his teams would be undisciplined and weak.

I said in the Sammy Sosa thread that I give everyone a single mistake. Even Slick Rick. OK, so you ran Colorado football into the ground and had a ton of violations while you did it. Fine. You then started in with disgusting behavior in your first 10 minutes as Washington coach. Your excuse was "I didn't know it was a violation"

Well, after the NCAA gave a light wrist slap, you go out and do this? You don't think that maybe you should be EXTRA careful about future violations? Do you have a brain? Don't answer that, I don't want to strain the single cell you have left.

What a complete idiot.

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 07:29 PM   #10
TroyF
Coordinator

Dola,

Don't worry Husky fans, you are better off without him. I can now be a fan of Washington football again.

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote