Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-05-2003, 02:02 PM   #1
mrsimperless
College Prospect

Repairing a Windshield

I recently bought a new used car. A 2001 Jetta, about 3 weeks ago. It is a sweet car and in great shape. Well, the other day I was driving down the street and a big-ass dumptrack passed me and kicked up a rock into my windshield. The rock slammed HARD and left a penny-sized "starburst" mark in the windshield. It doesn't go all the way through, you can't feel the crack on the inside. I was just wondering if there is anything that can be done, or if I'm going to have to completely replace the windshield. I hope that it can be repaired because the windshield has the VIN etching in it, and it has some kind of water sealant on it that works really well. (I've used similar products in the past that sucked ass) So what's the deal, am I completely screwed? What are my options?

mrsimperless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 02:08 PM   #2
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

they definitely do widnshield repair at Pepboys. I don't comprehend how it can be done safely (with my understanding of auto glass), but apparently people do it.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 02:09 PM   #3
Bee
Pro Starter

Replace the windshield. Call your insurance, depending on your coverage they might cover it...I had the same thing happen on one of my cars about 2 years ago and the insurance replaced it with no deductible. The company that replaced it, even came to my office and did it in the parking lot while I was at work. I was concerned it might leak or something, but I've had absolutely no problems with it.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 02:13 PM   #4
mrskippy
Banned

There are ways it can be done. The worst thing you can do is ignore it. Eventually small knick, will become major crack. Ended up shelling out $$$ for a new windshield, though the cost wasn't too bad.

Check with your insurance. Since you bought a 2001, I'll assume you purchased comprehensive coverage. If you did, what's your deduct? If you have a $100 or $200 deduct you might save yourself a few pennies. If it's $500, forget it.

Also, you should have got the plate number for the dump truck. Your insurance company has the ability to file a claim against the owner of the dump truck.
mrskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 02:16 PM   #5
mrskippy
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Bee
Replace the windshield. Call your insurance, depending on your coverage they might cover it...I had the same thing happen on one of my cars about 2 years ago and the insurance replaced it with no deductible. The company that replaced it, even came to my office and did it in the parking lot while I was at work. I was concerned it might leak or something, but I've had absolutely no problems with it.

What insurance company do you have? That's pretty cool. Allstate insisted I meet the $500 deduct. Meaning I was paying for everything.

As for the glass company coming to you. This is pretty much how the industry works. They came to my house on a Saturday morning and fixed it. Pretty cool. They had it done in less than 30 minutes. Amazing!!!

Just remember that you can't drive the car right after you put in a new windshield. It has to set.
mrskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 02:36 PM   #6
Bee
Pro Starter

I have State Farm. I just checked the website and they often waive the deductible on windshield repairs/replacements because of safety. I'd definitely check with your insurance company and see if they'd do that as well.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 02:45 PM   #7
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

It depends on state law. In Florida, 627.7288 prohibits deductibles from being applied to damage to a windshield. Of course, some companies may provide that as a standard part of their comphrehesive coverage even without a state mandate. You should definitely check before you have anything done.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 02:53 PM   #8
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I believe sometimes, they consider if it is something that obscures the drivers visibility or is in the drivers field of vision. In that case, it needs to be replaced and can't be repaired.

If your insurance company won't replace it or if you can't afford the deductible or a new windshield, you may be able to have someone repair it. Essentially, they drill a small hole into the crack area and pump in a sealer to hold. Granted, it may not be a permanent solution and the windshield could crack further at a later date or actually shatter while they are doing the repair. I think it is in the realm of $30-40 dollar but, that was a few years ago I had mine done.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 03:14 PM   #9
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally posted by Ksyrup
It depends on state law. In Florida, 627.7288 prohibits deductibles from being applied to damage to a windshield. Of course, some companies may provide that as a standard part of their comphrehesive coverage even without a state mandate. You should definitely check before you have anything done.

Damn, I'm sure glad we have Ksyrup on retainer!
Old 06-05-2003, 03:40 PM   #10
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I know the Florida Insurance Code like the palm...er...back of my hand.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 07:09 PM   #11
Ekoostik Head
n00b

my friend installes auto glass, same job as bee and skippy mentioned. they do a great job with lifetime warrenties. sometimes they can do a chip repair instead of replacing, which cost about $30.
Ekoostik Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 10:38 PM   #12
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

I suggest that you allow the crack to get larger and larger until it spreads across your entire window. Then, days before you are scheduled to take the car in for an inspection that it will fail due to the badly cracked window, arrange to get your car totaled in a wreck with a '87 Chevy Suburban. Convince yourself that the windshield was damaged in the wreck.

Incidentally, this method can also be used to repair damage from a failed break-in attempt, a bent bumper from getting rear-ended by an illegal alien without insurance or paperwork, and that sputtering sound that occurs when the car passes out of its five-year warranty.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote