Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-30-2003, 07:05 PM   #1
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Matrix Legal Defense (groan...)

Attorney Says 'The Matrix' Caused Man To Kill Parents

Story Link

The attorney for a 19-year-old Virginia man accused of murdering his parents with a shotgun says his client was influenced by the movie "The Matrix," KMBC's Peter Barnes reported.

Joshua Cooke was allegedly obsessed with the movie. He had posters and wore the film's signature leather clothes. And the shotgun he allegedly used to shoot his parents to death with this February was similar to one used in the movie.

"At the time he allegedly shot both of his parents, he was dressed in the full 'Matrix' costume. He was in possession of many of the props from the movie," said Rachel Fierro, Cooke's attorney.

Fierro plans to argue an insanity defense for Cooke. That defense has been successful at least twice before. Two people accused of murder have also used the "Matrix defense," and both were found not guilty by reason of insanity, Barnes reported.

"We believe that (Cook) believed himself to be in a virtual reality similar to that of 'The Matrix' at the time the attack occurred," Fierro said.

Cooke is currently in jail, where he has undergone a mental health evaluation. One expert said it is possible "The Matrix" could influence troubled people.

"Maybe someone who becomes extremely depressed and has psychosis is likewise affected by these movies that sort of perpetuate delusions," said Joan Marie Davoli, a law and mental health expert interviewed by Barnes.

But Robert Horan, the prosecuting attorney, is skeptical.

"'The Matrix' has been seen by millions of people and very few have committed any acts of violence as a result of seeing it," Horan said.

Cooke's trial begins in late June.

More linking fun

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 07:12 PM   #2
Franklinnoble
Banned

Nice... when I finally snap and decide to shoot up my office, I'll be sure to wear black leather pants, shirt, and trenchcoat, along with some nifty shades while I do it.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 09:33 PM   #3
tucker342
Pro Starter

what a surprise, people using movies as scapegoate again
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 09:43 PM   #4
Aesyrqwe
High School JV

Just like the whole "mcdonalds made me fat and not the fact that i ate all the time and didnt exercise my fat ass so they are fully responsible..."

-Aes-
#8 Grossman
#33 Tillman
Aesyrqwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 10:14 PM   #5
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

The scary part about this is that two people have gotten off. Granted, "gotten off" probably translates to "institutionalized" but that can't be as bad as prison for murder.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 10:47 PM   #6
Easy Mac

Man, I can't wait to be a lawyer ... just think $$$... just think politics...
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 10:50 PM   #7
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

The insanity defense really confuses me. If a person is insane enough to commit murder, should they be locked up for good anyway?
Old 05-30-2003, 11:09 PM   #8
sabotai
General Manager

"The scary part about this is that two people have gotten off. Granted, "gotten off" probably translates to "institutionalized" but that can't be as bad as prison for murder."

Which is probably where they should be if a movie cause them to commit murder. The guy is definatly not all there.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 11:26 PM   #9
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

No matter what caused them to commit murder, they should be locked up or fried. Unless you tell me it's self defense, that's a different situation all-together.

If you don't have enough sense to know what is right and wrong to that extent than you have no reason to be among the general population.

In this case it already seems like there is no arguement that he did the crime so just end it now with a quick lethal injection and save the tax payers the expense of the trial and keeping him locked up afterwards.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 11:29 PM   #10
sabotai
General Manager

"No matter what caused them to commit murder, they should be locked up or fried. Unless you tell me it's self defense, that's a different situation all-together."

Well, technically, he is locked up. He'll be spending the rest of his life in a mental institution.

"In this case it already seems like there is no arguement that he did the crime so just end it now with a quick lethal injection and save the tax payers the expense of the trial and keeping him locked up afterwards"

In the amount of appeals that would be filed, the state saves more money by just throwing him in a mental institution than going through all the legal bullshit it takes to fry him.

(And a mental institution is not a pleasent place. I know a lot people think thatr if it doesn't have bars, it must be a nice place. State run mental institutions are not good places to be.)
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 09:03 AM   #11
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

Now I may be totally off, I havn't actually met the guy and I know nothing about the case, but the first time that I read about this case, I was pretty sure that he would be found insane. Frankly this sounds like a clasic case of a guy who really has no concept of reality. He will not "get off" he will spend years in an institution.
stkelly52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 07:25 PM   #12
Ragone
Pro Rookie

So if i grow full body hair.. and my work demands i shave it off? i can use the Chewbacca Defense?... whoops wrong thread
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 08:03 PM   #13
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I can't wait to be a lawyer

Would you have done any different if you were representing the guy? PLEASE! It's the best defense they had!
Old 05-31-2003, 10:10 PM   #14
Craptacular
College Starter

Free. Your. Mind.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 03:09 AM   #15
Happy29
In The Penalty Box

Location: To reveal my location, you must decipher a series of traps, each more deadly than the last.
Yeah, in this case, the Matrix Architect is the Prison Warden.
Happy29 is offline   Reply With Quote