Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-30-2003, 03:53 PM   #1
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Doug Collins Fired

As if no one saw this one coming...

Fired

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Doug Collins was fired as coach of the Washington Wizards on Friday, following Michael Jordan out the door in another shake up by owner Abe Pollin.

Meanwhile, The Washington Post is reporting that the Wizards are interested in talking to former Philadelphia 76ers coach Larry Brown about coaching and taking control of their basketball operations. However, Brown wouldn't talk to the team as long as Collins, a friend, was under contract.

Collins was Jordan's hand-picked choice for the Wizards, who failed to make the playoffs in Jordan's two seasons with the team. The coach had two years remaining on his four-year contract.

"With seven head coaching positions available in the league and with his future here in Washington in doubt, I felt that it was only fair that Doug be given a chance to pursue other interests," Pollin said in a statement on the Wizards' Web site.

Jordan was the Wizards' president of basketball operations when he hired Collins in April 2001. Jordan then decided to return as a player, putting Collins in the unusual position of coaching the person who hired him. The Wizards went 37-45 both seasons.

Earlier this month, Pollin decided that Jordan, who had retired as a player again, would not be allowed to return to the front office, putting Collins' future in doubt.

Collins was dismissed even as Pollin was promising refunds to fans who were unhappy with his offseason moves.

"My pledge to you: If you are not satisfied with the direction of our basketball franchise after this summer, I will refund your season ticket deposit in full," Pollin wrote in a letter to season ticket-holders. A copy of the letter, dated June 2, was obtained by The Associated Press on Friday.

Last week, Pollin said Collins' fate would not be decided until he hired a new president of basketball operations, who in turn would select the team's coach.

But the fact that Collins was still technically an employee made it awkward for Pollin to pursue some candidates.

A Wizards spokeswoman said Pollin would have no further comment.

In his letter to season ticket-holders, Pollin said he has "interviewed and will continue to interview the brightest available basketball minds in the business."

Collins coached Jordan and the Chicago Bulls from 1986-89 and the Detroit Pistons from 1995-98, and was working as a television analyst when Jordan lured him back to the sidelines. His seasons with the Wizards were his only two full seasons in which he did not lead his team to the playoffs.

"I was disappointed I wasn't able to take the team to the playoffs and give the fans of Washington a taste of what the playoff experience is all about," Collins said. "It was a great experience to coach in front of sellout crowds every night."
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote