Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-29-2003, 07:53 PM   #1
mrbuttercup
In The Penalty Box

for the haters, PISTONS 2004 CHAMPS 70+ wins!

DETROIT -- Meet Will Robinson.

Robinson is the assistant to the president of basketball operations for the Pistons. He is the NBA's oldest scout, at the ripe age of 92. He has been inducted into 24 Halls of Fame. He has coached the likes of Doug Collins and Spencer Haywood. He was the first African-American head coach in the history of NCAA Division I basketball.

And if you listen to him, he invented such things as the full-court press and the fast break.

It's tough to find anyone who's been around long enough to dispute that.

You've heard of six degrees of separation? Robinson plays about three. Rumor here in Detroit has it that he cut the hole in James Naismith's peach basket.

He comes to work every day, watches game film and never misses a workout. Robinson has sat through the Pistons' draft workouts for the past 28 years, witnessing the auditions of Isiah Thomas, Joe Dumars, Dennis Rodman and Grant Hill.

Dumars, now the Pistons president, smiles when he sees Robinson walk onto the court Wednesday in preparation for Darko Milicic's individual workout. Call him a comfort blanket.

"Let me tell you something about Will Robinson," Dumars says. "He's seen it all. You can't fool Will Robinson. Nothing gets by him."

Robinson's a little early today for a reason. He's a late-comer on the international bandwagon. He has listened to the talk radio hosts and local writers imploring the Pistons to take Carmelo Anthony over Milicic with the No. 2 pick in next month's draft. Like the rest of them, he has yet to see the young Yugoslavian in person.

"In the past, when we brought in the guys from overseas, Will would sit there, shake his head and say 'Send him back ... he needs to spend more time in the oven,' " Dumars says with a laugh.

Darko Milicic has impressed the Detroit Pistons both on and off the basketball court. Robinson takes his seat courtside, crosses his legs and stares Darko down as he begins warming up. For the next 45 minutes, his eyes never leave the 7-footer.

From agility exercises (Darko ranks in the top 15 percent) to tests that gauge lateral quickness (Darko ranks in the top 2 percent), vertical jump (a little above average) and upper and lower body strength (OK on the first, above average on the second), Robinson is watching Milicic's every movement.

It isn't until Milicic picks up a basketball and starts effortlessly draining NBA-range 3-pointers (remember, his coach in Yugoslavia wouldn't let him take European 3s, let alone from the NBA distance) that Robinson begins speaking up. He doesn't stop talking until well after the workout.

"We hit the jackpot," Robinson says with a smile. "Jackpot!"

Milicic moves into the post and begins hitting jump hooks, first with his left hand. Then with his right. Robinson can't tell whether Milicic is left- or right-handed. That's a good thing.

"How'd that boy learn to shoot with both hands?" he asks.

“ He's going to own the game. Own the game. We're going to have to build a new arena. The only thing that could destroy a kid like that is a woman. ” — Will Robinson, on Darko Milicic Interesting story. Milicic was born left-handed, but his parents and teachers encouraged him to do everything with his right hand. He shoots 3s with his left, signs autographs with his right and handles the ball equally with both.

"That's just unfair. Very few players can do that."

At one point, a clearly exhausted Milicic bends over and, for a moment, looks like he can't go on. He sips a glass of water, slaps his hands together and gets back on the court.

"Did you see the way he just gutted that out?" Robinson says. "That's the type of kid you want to coach. If I was coaching him, we'd go to the moon."

Soon Darko is running the floor, handling the ball on the break and finishing with thundering dunks.

"He's going to own the game. Own the game," Robinsons exclaims. "We're going to have to build a new arena. The only thing that could destroy a kid like that is a woman."

Another big dunk, and Robinson gets up from his chair and begins walking toward Dumars.

"I've seen all I need," he says.

"Take him," he screams at Dumars.

The Pistons aren't through with Milicic yet. After lunch with Dumars and Co., Milicic is back at the workout facility receiving his homework assignments from strength and training coach Arnie Kander.

Kander isn't taking the usual approach to tall, skinny Europeans. Over the few hours since Darko's audition, Kander has been devising a workout plan for the kid that will get him up to speed for minicamp.

Milicic and his agent, Semi Pajovic, have asked for the help. Until now, Milicic has been living on a steady diet of 200 push-ups and 300 sit-ups per day.

Kander's plan calls for no weight lifting, fewer push-ups and zero protein supplements. Kander is blown away by what he calls "Darko's tremendous gift of speed."

"He's got a nat ."

"He's got a naturally strong body," Kander says. "I don't want him to bulk up. If he does that, he'll lose that quickness he's been blessed with. I just want him to get a little stronger, work on his base and improve his flexibility. I love his body for a 17-year-old. I just want to let it grow."

Kander prescribes a number of exercises meant to give Milicic upper body strength, better balance and more explosiveness in his jumping ability.

“ That kid's going to be a star. He's a 7-footer that plays like a point guard. That kid's something special. ” — Will Robinson

He also gives him a tip or two about rebounding by pulling a page out of Ben Wallace's book. The key to Wallace's rebounding prowess, according to Kander, is the way he always keeps his arms bent. It allows him to free himself from defenders and get to the ball quicker. Kander shows Milicic exercises that will get him in the right position to rebound. Nothing like learning from the best.

"He has all of the physical tools to exceed," says Kander, who has been testing draft prospects for the Pistons the last 10 years. "My job is to teach him how to use them."

Kander lectures Milicic on everything from posture to shooting form to push-up positions. Darko eats it up. He had nothing even remotely close to this in Yugoslavia. Kander promises that if Milicic faithfully follows the regime four times a week, he'll be in NBA shape by the start of summer league.

After the workout, Milicic measures out bigger than expected: 7-foot-1, 253 pounds.

Robinson has found religion.

"I've seen a lot of kids come through here in my day," Robinson says. "And none of them have ever played like that. That kid's going to be a star. He's a 7-footer that plays like a point guard. That kid's something special."

From the looks on the faces of the rest of the Piston brass and assistant coaches, they're on the same page.

"Welcome to the Pistons, young fella," Robinson tells Darko after the workout. "Ain't youth a wonderful thing?"

Yes it is. Like just about anything else Robinson says, it's awfully hard to argue with 92 years of experience.

In a league that can be swayed by the whims of trends and fleeting success stories, it's nice to have an anchor that keeps the ship from straying too far beyond shore.

Will Robinson is sold on Darko Mililic. The question, for the unbelievers still out there, is why aren't you?

mrbuttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 07:55 PM   #2
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Danger! Danger, Will Robinson!
Old 05-29-2003, 08:06 PM   #3
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

That's nice......
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 08:07 PM   #4
mrbuttercup
In The Penalty Box

And Im sure you know a lot more about scouting players than the famous 92 yr. old Will Robinson, Im sure he doesnt know anything. Hes only one of the best at his job, scouted the likes of MJ and such, he knows nothing, shame on him.
Old 05-29-2003, 08:09 PM   #5
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Where does it say they are gonna win the championship, and 70+ wins?

Last edited by illinifan999 : 05-29-2003 at 08:10 PM.
Old 05-29-2003, 08:11 PM   #6
Samdari
Roster Filler

Bah, Darko will go on to be the next Vlade Divac. I'll believe in a tough Euro big man when I see it. And Darko ain't it. Maybe Melo will let Darko attend his HOF induction though.
Old 05-29-2003, 08:12 PM   #7
mrbuttercup
In The Penalty Box

Yea it is nice...Got him from Yugoslavia...they say hes the best SF/PF/C on the marekt....

Man your crazzzzy, I hate you...and your crazzzzy!
Old 05-29-2003, 08:15 PM   #8
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

They also say that LJ will be the next MJ. They say a lot of things.
Old 05-29-2003, 08:18 PM   #9
mrbuttercup
In The Penalty Box

Yea ok.....sure....we'll just see wont we, and I'll be back to remind you of your moron like comments!
Old 05-29-2003, 08:19 PM   #10
cmp
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Samdari
Maybe Melo will let Darko attend his HOF induction though.

Maybe he will. And then maybe Darko will return the favor a few years down the line after Darko retires and is inducted in the HOF.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 08:24 PM   #11
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by mrbuttercup
Yea ok.....sure....we'll just see wont we, and I'll be back to remind you of your moron like comments!

Hmmmm....
Old 05-29-2003, 08:32 PM   #12
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:

How about we remind you of some of your "moron-like" comments?

Quote:
Originally posted by mrbuttercup PISTONS TONIGHT, They are gonna win handily, we got this series..PISTONS IN 6, go BW, Tayshuan's a BA.

Quote:
Originally posted by mrbuttercup DETROIT IN 6 over the lakers.

Quote:
Originally posted by mrbuttercup actually the pistons are gonna kick his ass in the ECF!! You fuckin smartass pricks... GO PISTONS!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by mrbuttercup Nets got lucky, i would love to see kid make that again...no biggie we'll come back and take game 2...good game nets.

Quote:
Originally posted by mrbuttercup F-U-C-K- Y-O-U
PISTONS IN 6

Quote:
Originally posted by mrbuttercup REFS=BULLSHIT CALLS ALL NIGHT PISTONS IN 6

Quote:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! ...

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 05-29-2003 at 08:34 PM.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 08:33 PM   #13
mrbuttercup
In The Penalty Box

HAHAHAHA, it truly amazes me about how little you guys know about sports...
Old 05-29-2003, 08:35 PM   #14
Schmidty
Coordinator

Mrs. Buttercup is now on my ignore list. Can't stand to see someone bait others into bashing my favorite team.
Old 05-29-2003, 08:36 PM   #15
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:

Add this one to the list cthomer...
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 08:39 PM   #16
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Qwikshot
Add this one to the list cthomer...

Maybe I can write an application that will just stream everything he types in real time?
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 08:39 PM   #17
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:

HAHAHA it truly amazes me about how little you know about anything...
Old 05-29-2003, 08:45 PM   #18
Easy Mac

Yeah, the guy is a genius... no one ever thought Darko would go 2. Hell of a scout to find the guy a lot of people are saying is better than James :eyeroll:
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 08:56 PM   #19
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

And still, people keep taking the bait...
Old 05-29-2003, 09:03 PM   #20
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

It's been fun, but now I'm done.
I have to go put on my grass fairy outfit and boot up CM4.
Old 05-29-2003, 09:11 PM   #21
BFleming
H.S. Freshman Team

Re: for the haters, PISTONS 2004 CHAMPS 70+ wins!

Quote:
DETROIT -- Meet Will Robinson.

blah blah blah

Blah Blah blah

blah blah blah

Blah Blah blah

blah blah blah

Blah Blah blah

blah blah blah

Blah Blah blah

blah blah blah

Blah Blah blah

blah blah blah

Blah Blah blah

blah blah blah

Blah Blah blah

blah blah blah

Blah Blah blah

blah blah blah

Blah Blah blah

blah blah blah

Blah Blah blah

blah blah blah

Blah Blah blah

blah blah blah

Blah Blah blah

blah blah blah

Blah Blah blah

blah blah blah

Blah Blah blah

blah blah blah

Blah Blah blah

Thats pretty much what I gained from 10 minutes of reading this crap
BFleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 09:59 PM   #22
tucker342
Pro Starter

ummmm, no
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 10:00 PM   #23
tucker342
Pro Starter

'nuff said
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 11:23 PM   #24
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Aww buttercup, you're so cute. Mom let you stay up this late? You must've been a good boy today!
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 11:27 PM   #25
FF
Mascot

buttercup, you give michigan sports a bad name. please stop.

now.
Old 05-29-2003, 11:41 PM   #26
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:

Will that be like when I remind you of your moron comments from a week ago? For a team that was going to win it all, the Pistons sure got swept but good. And thanks to you, I was rooting for the Nets all the way, baby!
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 01:51 AM   #27
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

At least 58-65 wins next year .