Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-28-2003, 10:28 AM   #1
Thomkal
Head Coach

Cosmic Encounters Online Live!

Heya,

I mentioned this a while back, but after quite a long time in development, Cosmic Encounters is scheduled to go live this afternoon at 3 EST. You may be able to sneak in still today at get a "free" membership that will allow you 14 free days before having to pay. They also have a guest system where you can play for free against other guests (I think) with limited choices of aliens to pick from.

http://www.cosmicencounter.com/screens/home.html

Cosmic Encounters is a board game from the 80's I believe that's developed into cult status. I never got the chance to play it back then, but always wanted to. Basically its a game with you and three other players (you can play against AI bots if you want instead of players). Each one of you is an alien (they will have about 9 at launch I think), each with a unique power that allows them to "break" a certain rule of the game.

You each start out with 4 planets, and 4 ships for each planet. Each turn you get the chance to attack another player (that player is chosen at random). You may negotiate with the other players or not to help you attack (or defend if you are being attacked) but you have to be careful-if attack and you win, any allies get to place a colony on the newly conquered planet. Any allies that help defend your planet get a reward of either pods (two different kinds of "cards"-one used as an attack modifier, the other are "artifacts"-one shot cards that do various things) or ships. The first player to have four colonies wins (and you can have multiple winners) So a lot of strategy and diplomacy involved when playing against other humans. There's more to the game than this, but that's the basic structure.

I've been able to test the game the past couple days, and looks like it will be a pretty smooth live opening. I haven't crashed yet, but there will be some bugs to crunch I'm sure. I just played against bots and I'm 1-4, not so good. So you got a pretty good shot if you want to play against me.

Let me know if you are able to sign up for the free membership before 3 PM EST today or not.

Dan

Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 10:40 AM   #2
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I signed up! I love this game!
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 11:11 AM   #3
Thomkal
Head Coach

Bump since its time sensitive
Old 05-28-2003, 09:50 PM   #4
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Anyone playing tonight?
Old 05-29-2003, 09:04 AM   #5
Thomkal
Head Coach

I played late last night, but didn't see you there Sachmo-Are you using that name? I'm using Kallor
Old 05-29-2003, 09:07 AM   #6
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Yup, I was on as sachmo. I played a couple of games, and had a lot of fun. I was beaten both times.