Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-31-2018, 07:07 AM   #1
GoldenCrest Games
High School Varsity

Thumbs up Gaming Resolution Question

So somewhere back when I got started on this project, an old-school developer told me that I needed to develop for 1024x768 desktop resolution.

Frankly, this sucks.

Is there anyone out there that really plays PC games at that resolution? Do you think it would be safe to assume 80% are using 1920x1080 or better? I don't know a lot about this, since this is my first real project.

GoldenCrest Games is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:17 AM   #2
PilotMan
Head Coach

It's been probably 6 or 7 years since I had a computer where that was the desired resolution. Today, I use 1920x1028 if possible, but even 1366x768 is about as low as I want to go. Anything less feels like a waste of the screen. Now, it won't keep me from playing the game, but it does feel if the game is based on the resolution that it's already dated.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:43 AM   #3
Bobble
College Prospect

Tablets like the MS Surface Pro, maybe?
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:20 AM   #4
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

I turn 50 this year. If there's smaller text to read, 1920x1080 isn't working for me on my 17" gaming laptop screen anymore, but is fine on my 24" external. 1600x900 is fine on the 17". I'm sure there are a ton of us out there who began gaming as preteens/teens in the early/mid 80s and are still at it in our mid 40s to mid 50s, so if I were developing something, I'd consider the aging audience's ability to play on a large laptop screen as a factor, and probably go with something like 1600x900 as the base for a PC. As another data point, one of my external monitors (that isn't all that old) has a *max* resolution of 1680x1050.

But no, unless you're talking tablets, 1024x768 seems silly these days.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:32 AM   #5
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Depends entirely on your target audience - our 'default' for PC is around 1920x1080 now, but we make the game scale by resolution to display more or less data depending on the setup as there are still a lot of laptops out there which have lesser resolutions, this is especially important if you're targeting a strategy demographic where people in their 40's might have dropped their resolutions on 15'' laptops down so they can read them more easily.

I'd suggest you target that resolution but keep a mind open to how you'd target lower resolutions in case you decide to move across to mobile devices as well (same thing with structuring your source code and such).

If you want to discuss best practices for doing so feel free to drop me a PM.

PS - Random feedback based on your free agency screenshot, very data heavy (not an issue in itself our pages often are on PC) - but its hard to track 'across' the lines with your eyes without a guide .. you might want to share the background on the table differently every other line (dark/normal for instance) so that users can more easily follow across when looking at specific players ... I know its a first draft so I won't comment on other things on that page to do with layout and such at this time.

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 01-31-2018 at 10:35 AM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 10:54 AM   #6
Arles
Grey Dog Software

We've transitioned to target 1366x768 and may increase it again in the future. There are more legacy style PCs in our genre, so we don't want to be too leading edge.
Old 01-31-2018, 11:06 AM   #7
weegeebored
High School Varsity

I don't want to derail, but what programming language(s) do you guys code in?
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 12:03 PM   #8
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenCrest Games View Post
So somewhere back when I got started on this project, an old-school developer told me that I needed to develop for 1024x768 desktop resolution.

Frankly, this sucks.

Is there anyone out there that really plays PC games at that resolution? Do you think it would be safe to assume 80% are using 1920x1080 or better? I don't know a lot about this, since this is my first real project.

Steam hardware survey says that most people (76%) have 1920x1080 as their primary display resolution fwiw.

Steam Hardware & Software Survey

Last edited by NobodyHere : 01-31-2018 at 12:03 PM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:51 PM   #9
GoldenCrest Games
High School Varsity

I really appreciate the feedback everyone! Thanks!

I’m at the point where the “just make it work” interface isn’t good enough. Who knew this stuff was so hard??

@weegeebored: I’m using Unity and C#
Old 01-31-2018, 02:53 PM   #10
GoldenCrest Games
High School Varsity

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Steam hardware survey says that most people (76%) have 1920x1080 as their primary display resolution fwiw.

Steam Hardware & Software Survey

That link is awesome!!
Old 01-31-2018, 03:06 PM   #11
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Resolved: Gaming is Awesome!
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 03:58 PM   #12
Logan
Head Coach

I thought this was going to be about some kind of fight about the end of a game.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 07:49 AM   #13
GoldenCrest Games
High School Varsity

Thumbs up

You guys inspired me. Now the standings don't look like they were drawn by a toddler with a blunt crayon.

One more step on the journey towards respectability!

Thanks for the help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg newStandings.jpg (216.6 KB, 119 views)
Old 02-02-2018, 08:56 AM   #14
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

btw I like your color scheme and layout generally on that page, very nice

(if you want to make things a little prettier on the tables consider embedding 'crests' for the teams next to their names?)
Old 02-02-2018, 12:12 PM   #15
GoldenCrest Games
High School Varsity

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
btw I like your color scheme and layout generally on that page, very nice

(if you want to make things a little prettier on the tables consider embedding 'crests' for the teams next to their names?)

I love that idea. Nice one!

That's going to look awesome.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:03 AM   #16
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
@weegeebored: I’m using Unity and C#
Thanks. Coincidentally, I am trying to learn both of those. Best of luck to you.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 02:20 AM   #17
SackAttack
Head Coach

According to my Win10 settings, I'm at 1360x768, which is also tagged 'Recommended.'

Difficulty: I don't have an actual factual video card. Just the integrated thing that came with my PC.

Difficulty v2: I use my widescreen TV for both my consoles and as a PC monitor, so that may be where the recommendation is comin' from.

Either way, I play such PC games as I own at that resolution unless the game changes the setting temporarily to be able to run.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 06:11 AM   #18
GoldenCrest Games
High School Varsity

Thumbs up

I ended up going with 1366x768 as the target, like Arles, but I'm checking every screen on 1920x1080 to make sure it still looks good. I'm finding that I prefer playing the game on 1366x768, though.

Thanks for the input everyone. It helped a ton!

Also, screen design is HARD! I think this is my weak spot when it comes to making games. It's really a grind, every time. I don't know how people do this part for a living.

I'll have to find someone else to do this for me on the next game.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:55 AM   #19
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Also, screen design is HARD! I think this is my weak spot when it comes to making games. It's really a grind, every time. I don't know how people do this part for a living.

If you want some informal help, suggestions and feedback then feel free to PM or email me ([email protected] is my work addy) and I'd be happy to help where I can, I can also point you towards some artists and such who might be able to help you when/if you feel ready to use them.

(I've been making games for over 20 years now and UI design still isn't my strongest suit, I'm better at knowing what works and why etc. now - but damn it the art side of it is still beyond my ability to do myself)

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 02-09-2018 at 09:56 AM.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:11 AM   #20
GoldenCrest Games
High School Varsity

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
If you want some informal help, suggestions and feedback then feel free to PM or email me ([email protected] is my work addy) and I'd be happy to help where I can, I can also point you towards some artists and such who might be able to help you when/if you feel ready to use them.

(I've been making games for over 20 years now and UI design still isn't my strongest suit, I'm better at knowing what works and why etc. now - but damn it the art side of it is still beyond my ability to do myself)

I'll probably take you up on that! Thanks!

I'm a lot more comfortable in the "deep math" part of the game. (as my kids call it) The artistic stuff is way beyond me.