Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-05-2018, 05:20 PM   #1
AlexB
Pro Starter

My life has been accompanied by...

Not sure how this will pan out, but had a day today where I happened to listen to an album by a band that was around when I was a teenager, and caught up on the latest episode a TV show that was also around at the same time.

Made me think, what are the bands, shows, book series, etc that have travelled through life with people?

To start it off, the album I was listening too was Suicidal Tendencies (somewhat ironic given the thread I guess!), but could equally be Red Hot Chili Peppers. The Chilis at their height were better than ST ever were, but tbh I think ST are better now, so I’m gonna go with The Suicidals.

The TV show was Red Dwarf, which I’m guessing may not be well known in the US, a sitcom set in the future about the last surviving human in space, an android, a hologram and an evolved human/cat species. Outside of the likes of the more serious viewing like The Wire, by far my favourite TV show, even before the revival.

Anybody else have pop culture series that have been with them through their adult lives? So we’re not just solely about the best, it has to be longevity too...

Last edited by AlexB : 01-05-2018 at 05:25 PM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 05:35 PM   #2
Edward64
Head Coach

Not sure if Star Trek or Computer Gaming counts.

TBH, I didn't really like the original but did like TNG, DS9, Voyager, Discovery and so that "series" has been throughout my adult life.

I was there in the early years of Pong, Space Invaders, Defender etc.

Music wise, nothing that has spanned my adult life that I can think of.

Last edited by Edward64 : 01-05-2018 at 05:35 PM.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 05:49 PM   #3
sabotai
General Manager

TV Show: MST3K. Discovered it as a teenager and have been watching it ever since (turned 40 a few months back). There are still some episodes I haven't seen, mostly from the early years. Every so often I'll whittle that list of unseens down by 1.

There haven been other TV shows, like the various Star Trek series, that I will do a watch-through from time to time, but no TV show has been as steadily ever-present in my entire adult life as MST3K.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 06:24 PM   #4
tarcone
Coordinator

Red Drawf was fantastic. I loved that show. That would eb an awesome pick up by netflix.

Led Zepplin 2 is still my go to.

I guess watching The Andy Griffith show re-runs as a kid. I still watch it whenever I can. It is on Netflix, but I havent sat down and watched it all the way through. Does that count?

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 06:34 PM   #5
AlexB
Pro Starter

Hey, there’s no stringent rules, just shows/tunes/films that have been with you for adult life (or most thereof!).

Star Wars is the obvious film franchise I guess, James Bond, maybe Raiders of The Lost Ark, but there are few and far between that span most of our 18+ years filmwise.

The idea was more just a vehicle for nostalgia, an alternative to being the best, instead the comforting feeling of just being a constant... after that your rules are as good as any!
Old 01-05-2018, 06:58 PM   #6
AlexB
Pro Starter

Thinking about it, Eels would be up there too: definitely been making music for my adult years, and i’m still buying. Probably ST on a good day, Eels when I’m a bit more melancholic.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:42 PM   #7
tarcone
Coordinator

A boardgame that has literally followed me from 1981. This game has moved with me from several places in Iowa to several places in Missouri. It went on vacation with me. It has been with me for ever.

Statis Pro Baseball is the game. It features the 1980 season. I created an all star league. Created 8 teams based on geography. I have played 154 games of a 162 season. Thousands of games. I never finished the seson. At this point it feels like an end of something big. And I just cant force myself to do it.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:42 PM   #8
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
The TV show was Red Dwarf, which I’m guessing may not be well known in the US

The cool kids all know it well

(PBS, in a lot of media markets at least, ran a number of Britcoms on Saturday nights for a number of years so a fair number of people know a handful of UK TV shows. This being one of them, Are You Being Served definitely another, others such as Vicar of Dibley and Dad's Army lesser extent)
Old 01-05-2018, 07:44 PM   #9
corbes
College Benchwarmer

Paul Simon, Graceland
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:06 PM   #10
Bobble
College Prospect

He's dead, Dave. Everybody is dead. Everybody is dead, Dave.

Maybe Pink Floyd or Enya. Both of those were study music in college (late 80's) and I still dig them out if I need background sound and want to concentrate.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:35 PM   #11
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
He's dead, Dave. Everybody is dead. Everybody is dead, Dave.

CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:38 PM   #12
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Red Drawf was fantastic. I loved that show. That would eb an awesome pick up by netflix.

Hate to tell you this but it's come and gone. All (then) 9 seasons were on netflix and then they were dropped.

That pesky thing about it costing money.,

SInce then they made series X, XI, and XII

but they suck so don't bother.

Doug Naylor REALLY needed to let other people write it but he didn't.
So it's all the same jokes over and over again
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:43 PM   #13
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

My Life has been accompanied by... a horrible life draining curse.

But Star Wars and Mst3k is a close 2nd and 3rd
Old 01-05-2018, 10:23 PM   #14
Critch
lolzcat

British soap opera Eastenders.

It started in 1985, I remember watching the first episode in the tv room of my university halls and I've stuck with it. Used to watch regularly on the BBC, then on public tv when I came to the US, now I download every episode from a UK TV bittorrent group. I did miss out on a few years, public tv only showed 2 episodes per week and BBC shows 4 per week so I fell behind, but now I watch every episode generally on the day it's shown. Whenever I talk to my mother or sister, half the chat will be about the latest happenings on Albert Square (fictional east London square Eastenders is based around).

I'm not sure why I'm hooked, it's crap and it's getting worse.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 11:28 PM   #15
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Dungeons and Dragons has been a part of my life since I was about 14 (and RPG's in general since I was around 10; I started off playing the old Paladium Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Heroes Unlimited games). I've gone through stretches where I haven't played much, but overall I've played campaigns in every edition from AD&D 2nd up to the current 5th (which I've yet to play with adults but have started introducing to my children and their friends).

Musically, Weezer has been part of my life since the blue album in '94 (I would have been about 16). Pinkerton will never be matched, and I'm not sure they were ever my favorite band at any given time, but I must say their latest white album is pretty darn good. I might even put it third in their catalog (after blue).

I can't think of a TV show that really fits the bill. For movies Star Wars would be the only one I can think of that I really fits (I can take or leave James Bond, for example).
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 11:32 PM   #16
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Dola

Something that makes me sad is that up until this year my answer for music probably would have been Tragically Hip. Time to go listen to Fiddler's Green and have a little cry.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 03:33 AM   #17
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I'll second the MST3k experience. Started watching when I was probably in 5th or 6th grade, never stopped. Can't wait for more.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote