Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-28-2017, 05:49 AM   #1
miami_fan
Coordinator

RIP Hugh Hefner 1926-2017

Playboy founder Hugh Hefner dead at 91 - Sep. 27, 2017
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:38 AM   #2
Kodos
Resident Alien

That guy had a great life.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:30 AM   #3
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

I don't want to be that guy (like the "hot or not" not voter) but I imagine the life becomes pretty empty after a while. At first you think maybe it's my magazine and money but it could just be my looks. Then in your 40's-50's still holding on to the outside chance of it being your looks and personality. By the time you are 70-80 it's quite clear these 20 year old blonde bombshells are disgusted by you but know the game that has to be played. Not sure how it's any different than a prostitute at that point. I guess it's always that way for rock stars, athletes, people with money but it really isn't a part of their life that I envy.

A few years of it though? Sign me up!
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 08:56 AM   #4
QuikSand
lolzcat

Not trying to go overboard, but with a certain definition of terms, HH might be rated among the 100 (?) most impactful/influential (but probably not "important") Americans of the 20th century.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 09:10 AM   #5
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Not trying to go overboard, but with a certain definition of terms, HH might be rated among the 100 (?) most impactful/influential (but probably not "important") Americans of the 20th century.

I think there is no question of it. I was born in 74, but I remember how Playboy was on the edge of mainstream America. I remember truck rallies coming through Memphis in the 80s when one of the attractions would be Playboy Playmate X.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 09:33 AM   #6
QuikSand
lolzcat

I understand he's neither Jonas Salk nor FDR, but there's certainly a place for a figure like him on some sort of list like that.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 09:37 AM   #7
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Goodnight, Bunny Man. You gave me so many insightful articles to read growing up.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 09:44 AM   #8
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Regardless of opinion on the content of his work, I can't imagine any argument against his influence in the 20th century. Top 50 seems plausible.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 10:05 AM   #9
PilotMan
Head Coach

Sex does a body good.

The man is a true American Icon. You can't say that he didn't have an impact on the entire culture.

RIP Hef

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 10:43 AM   #10
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
I don't want to be that guy (like the "hot or not" not voter) but I imagine the life becomes pretty empty after a while. At first you think maybe it's my magazine and money but it could just be my looks. Then in your 40's-50's still holding on to the outside chance of it being your looks and personality. By the time you are 70-80 it's quite clear these 20 year old blonde bombshells are disgusted by you but know the game that has to be played. Not sure how it's any different than a prostitute at that point. I guess it's always that way for rock stars, athletes, people with money but it really isn't a part of their life that I envy.

I think at some point you accept that and get over it
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 12:14 PM   #11
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Given his work - mostly with little fanfare - for civil rights, gay rights, and free speech, I think he's a lock

Last edited by Toddzilla : 09-28-2017 at 12:15 PM.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 12:50 PM   #12
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 08:46 AM   #13
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post

Insert Don't Care Had Sects Meme
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote