Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-23-2016, 04:35 PM   #1
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
cartman's FOFC College Football Top 25 Poll, Week 3 results

Here's how the voting shook out:

Code:
Team Votes Prev Weekend Opponent 1. Ohio State 259 2 Bye 2. Alabama (6) 257 1 vs. Kent State 3. Louisville (4) 251 6 at Marshall 4. Michigan 231 3 vs. Penn State 5. Houston 221 7 at Texas State 6. Stanford (1) 207 8 at UCLA 7. Clemson 185 5 at #24 Georgia Tech 8. Washington 176 9 at Arizona 9. Wisconsin 166 T12 at #10 Michigan State 10. Michigan State 144 T12 vs. #9 Wisconsin 11. Baylor 127 16 vs. Oklahoma State 12. Florida State 126 4 at #23 South Florida 13. Texas A&M 122 19 vs. #18 Arkansas 14. Nebraska 115 22 at Northwestern 15. Georgia 112 15 at Mississippi 16. Miami (FL) 107 NR Bye 17. Tennessee 102 14 vs. #19 Florida 18. Arkansas 85 24 at #13 Texas A&M 19. Florida 61 NR at #17 Tennessee 20. Utah 57 NR vs. USC 21. Boise State 55 25 at Oregon State 22. LSU 48 23 at Auburn 23. South Florida 41 NR vs. #12 Florida State 24. Georgia Tech 29 NR vs. #7 Clemson 25. San Diego State 26 NR Bye Dropped out: #10 Iowa, #11 Texas, #17 Oklahoma, #18 Notre Dame, #20 Mississippi, #21 Oregon Also receiving votes: Iowa 25,Toledo 22,Central Michigan 20,Oklahoma 19,Army 19,Western Michigan 18, Mississippi 17,North Carolina 15,Kansas State 15,Oregon 14,TCU 13, Arizona State 11,Texas 10,Maryland 10,Colorado 7,California 7,West Virginia 7, UCLA 6,North Dakota State 5,Oklahoma State 3,Minnesota 1,Georgia Southern 1 Thanks to the following FOFCers for voting this week: britrock88 Butter cartman CU Tiger Easy Mac General Mike JonInMiddleGA molson Solecismic's Football Frontier tarcone Umbrella
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 05:34 PM   #2
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Am I reading this right? That the collective FOFC wisdom combined to place Ohio State #1 without a single first place vote?
Old 09-23-2016, 05:35 PM   #3
tarcone
Coordinator

That is pretty crazy

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 05:43 PM   #4
molson
General Manager

It's a pretty small sample size, so the one voter who had Alabama down at #11 pushed them out of the top spot, since everyone had Ohio State in their top 3, except one voter who had them at #6.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 05:46 PM   #5
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Yeah, I noticed that as well and had to double check. Ohio State was 2nd or 3rd on every submission, while Alabama was 11th on one and 4th on another.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 05:54 PM   #6
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

At some point maybe a standard higher than throwing names into a hat & drawing them randomly MAY need to be considered.

After looking back at the poll in question, I'm not sure whether I'll bother contributing any longer. Including that one pretty much feels to me like it invalidates this one.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:17 PM   #7
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
At some point maybe a standard higher than throwing names into a hat & drawing them randomly MAY need to be considered.

After looking back at the poll in question, I'm not sure whether I'll bother contributing any longer. Including that one pretty much feels to me like it invalidates this one.

I had this thought after the 1st posting of a poll last week. I was thinking what is the point. It is the same problem Ive had for a couple seasons. But it is getting tiresome.
I may discontinue my contribution as well.

Old 09-23-2016, 06:21 PM   #8
molson
General Manager

Eh, there's really nothing riding on the result of this poll, it's just a fun exercise, it doesn't matter to me if there's some wonky results. I take part just because it's kind of a nice diversion to recap what happened in college football the week before. It's a little crutch to help me make some time to catch up how the season's going.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:32 PM   #9
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Eh, there's really nothing riding on the result of this poll, it's just a fun exercise, it doesn't matter to me if there's some wonky results. I take part just because it's kind of a nice diversion to recap what happened in college football the week before. It's a little crutch to help me make some time to catch up how the season's going.

And to be wishy washy, this is also how I feel.

I know. It doesnt make sense. But seeing Texas St. ranked 6th just blows my mind.

Old 09-23-2016, 06:47 PM   #10
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I get the keep up/catch up aspect of it. I was doing my Top 25 on the blog before (or as?) this began here IIRC, I'll be doing one afterwards. I take it seriously, same as I did when I was doing it "for real", typically several hours a week goes into it for me & that's not counting the mental processing of the next one throughout game day.

I'm just not feeling the point of even reformatting a copy-and-paste job after really looking closely (which I'd tried to avoid) at what else it's being thrown in with, not when it's as aggregious as the current example.

{shrug} That's my issue, not anybody else's. Ain't mad or nothing, just figure it's time to leave it with whomever has more patience than I do. Disappointed is probably a fair word, but nowhere near mad.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:38 AM   #11
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
I had this thought after the 1st posting of a poll last week. I was thinking what is the point. It is the same problem Ive had for a couple seasons. But it is getting tiresome.
I may discontinue my contribution as well.

I have assumed its one of those statistical based rankings that is accurate when looked at retroactively for an entire season but meaningless in season until 100% of the data is available.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 12:17 PM   #12
molson
General Manager

Ya, there's a million ways to rank teams in the first few weeks - so much of it is still pre-season expectations v. what they've actually done in the first few weeks. There's no right answer on how to balance those things. I remember one voter in this poll a few years ago would never rank an undefeated team below a team with a loss. So you had some weird early season polls, and smaller schools ranked high after going 6-0. But that's as valid a voting theory as any other, that's kind of the point, to combine the different theories and see what the average of them is. I feel the same about HOF voting. People have different theories about how much character, winning, MVP awards, traditional stats, modern sabermetrics should balance against each other, and there's no wrong answer, if you have a vote, your theory counts as much as every other one.
Old 09-24-2016, 01:55 PM   #13
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
There's no right answer on how to balance those things.

There are, however, reasonable boundaries in which those things fit.

What I saw this week looked like fucking picking teams out of a hat. It's insulting, frankly, literally making a joke of the entire exercise.

{shrug} Life goes on, but it sucks to have something I've done for years destroyed by someone treating it like a damned joke.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:16 PM   #14
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'm so old that I remember when 400 yards of offense was a really big day.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:45 PM   #15
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Ya, there's a million ways to rank teams in the first few weeks - so much of it is still pre-season expectations v. what they've actually done in the first few weeks. There's no right answer on how to balance those things. I remember one voter in this poll a few years ago would never rank an undefeated team below a team with a loss. So you had some weird early season polls, and smaller schools ranked high after going 6-0. But that's as valid a voting theory as any other, that's kind of the point, to combine the different theories and see what the average of them is. I feel the same about HOF voting. People have different theories about how much character, winning, MVP awards, traditional stats, modern sabermetrics should balance against each other, and there's no wrong answer, if you have a vote, your theory counts as much as every other one.

But there are outliers.
Army 7?
Toledo 8?
Clemson unranked?

With such a small sample pool, you allow one person to dictate the results a bit.

HOF is a bad comp because if enough say ye the fact that someone else says never has no bearing.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 04:05 PM   #16
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
it sucks to have something I've done for years destroyed by someone treating it like a damned joke.

That's just the thing, though. Nothing about anyone else's poll changes yours. The diversity in the rankings that people produce should be a good impetus to spark conversation about how to rank teams, not to take offense, take one's ball, and go home.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 04:31 PM   #17
cuervo72
Head Coach

Don't actual voters pull stuff like that every now and then?
Old 09-25-2016, 04:46 PM   #18
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
That's just the thing, though. Nothing about anyone else's poll changes yours. The diversity in the rankings that people produce should be a good impetus to spark conversation about how to rank teams, not to take offense, take one's ball, and go home.

But, as pointed out, the small sample size gives undue weight to extreme outliers. And, frankly, such extreme outliers aren't worth conversation, not when they're so completely fucking inane to be worth wasting oxygen on.

Life goes on, everybody will be just fine.

And my polls will be, as always, at Jon's Three Cents | Because two cents worth isn't always enough
Old 09-25-2016, 06:17 PM   #19
Easy Mac

You can leave out my poll if you want, since people seem to think the fate of the world rides on the results. I'll more than admit im working throught the bugs in my math and am not happy with the results, but I feel like it will accurately reflect what's going on as the results come in.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:13 PM   #20
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
You can leave out my poll if you want, since people seem to think the fate of the world rides on the results. I'll more than admit im working throught the bugs in my math and am not happy with the results, but I feel like it will accurately reflect what's going on as the results come in.

What math do you use?

I wonder with Army and Toledo placing so highly.
Because no math should have done that.

Old 09-25-2016, 07:59 PM   #21
Easy Mac

The same math where most of the board who votes had FSU top 3 before the previous week and Louisville not in their top 10.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 08:02 PM   #22
tarcone
Coordinator

So, in your opinion, Toledo and Army are better teams than Alabama?

Im curious about what you use to determine your poll. Im not trying to be an ass. Though I usually excel at that.