Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-21-2016, 09:55 PM   #1
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Survivor: Millennials vs. Generation X

Premiered tonight. I was actually looking forward to the idea but it feels like it could be a boring cast.

I found it interesting at least that if I were on this season, I would have been the oldest person on the Millennial tribe or the youngest person on the Generation X tribe. I was born in 1984 so I guess I'm technically considered an old Millennial (I think 1982 is most often considered the first year of the Millennial generation).

Racer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 11:47 PM   #2
BishopMVP
Coordinator

1982 is Millennial's now? I'm not sure what you'd categorize an 86 birthdate like me (Gen Y wasn't really a thing), but I've always considered millennials to be people who grew up with cell phones with data plans and have lived in that always connected bubble. That seemed like the relevant break point to me. (I didn't get a cell phone until I was 16? and a smart phone until I was leaving college, though I was far from an early adopter on either. But I can remember a world where I used pay phones, had to print out directions, and actually make plans in advance then adhere to a time & a place!)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 11:52 PM   #3
MrBug708
Head Coach

I saw this article earlier, ut it's an older article. I'm born in 82, which means I fall in between Generation X, Y, and a Millennial

Here Is When Each Generation Begins and Ends, According to Facts - The Atlantic
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 12:27 AM   #4
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I saw this article earlier, but it's an older article. I'm born in 82, which means I fall in between Generation X, Y, and a Millennial

Here Is When Each Generation Begins and Ends, According to Facts - The Atlantic
Ehh, I choose to reject their definition, but a millennial would say that!

I see the biggest change in worldview between those who grew up in that always connected world and those who adopted it later in life like us. Maybe that's just a classic I'm getting old thing to say, but I feel people who were born in the 70's didn't have a much harder time picking up technology and tend to use it in a fairly similar way. While those born in the mid 90's and after treat it a different way.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 02:13 PM   #5
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Anyone else still watching this?

Season started slow but had some decent moments. Sure seems like their rushing for the finish line now, though.
Old 12-08-2016, 03:07 PM   #6
molson
General Manager

I'm enjoying it. I think the cast is pretty entertaining. And it amuses me how Probst would always try to shoehorn Millennial and Generation X stereotypes into everything, even if they were incorrect. "Are you guys going to get married right now even though you just met - Millennials do that!" Huh? And when was Gen-X ever the "hard working" generation?

Last edited by molson : 12-08-2016 at 03:08 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 06:14 PM   #7
korme
Go Reds

This season has been so good, was surprised to see no talk here.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 11:26 PM   #8
Mota
College Benchwarmer

With the most recent elimination, pretty much everybody else left in the game is a true contender. You rarely see that! There have definitely been some great tribal councils this season! We are really enjoying it.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 11:57 PM   #9
LloydLungs
College Prospect

This season probably feels more like a returnee season than any newbie season ever has. The strategy has been questionable at times but mostly pretty good, and almost all of the players are playing extremely hard. Very few passive/non-players.

Unless Bret, Hannah, and Ken can finagle a final three against each other (unlikely though they should all be trying for that), I feel like the winner is coming from the David/Jay/Adam trio, in that order of likelihood in my mind.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 01:52 PM   #11
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I'm enjoying it. I think the cast is pretty entertaining. And it amuses me how Probst would always try to shoehorn Millennial and Generation X stereotypes into everything, even if they were incorrect. "Are you guys going to get married right now even though you just met - Millennials do that!" Huh? And when was Gen-X ever the "hard working" generation?

It's pretty funny that he keeps doing that, because part of what has made the season so great is that people aren't sticking to their original tribal alliances. The worst Survivor seasons are when tribes stick together without much movement and it's a series of predictable boots.

And, yeah, us Gen-Xers were supposed to be slackers. I can't think of a bigger insult to millenials than to say we're supposedly the hard-working generation compared to them.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 01:56 PM   #12
Kodos
Resident Alien

They're making us look good!
Old 12-14-2016, 06:27 PM   #13
General Mike
Pro Starter

Finale tonight. Anyone got any predictions for the winner?
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:27 PM   #14
korme
Go Reds

I had Ken and Dave in my Survivor pool and felt great heading into the final tribal vote!
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 06:43 AM   #15
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
Finale tonight. Anyone got any predictions for the winner?

Based on edit I thought David and Jay were the most likely to win headed into last night with Adam and Hannah having an outside chance of winning.

Didn't think Bret or Ken would win. I didn't think editing really focused on either enough.

Thought it was the strongest season ever for strategy for seasons with no returning players. After a slow start, definitely ended up being a great season overall.
Racer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 07:30 AM   #16
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yep, it was a good season. Loved David's twist on the old fake idol trick.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:29 AM   #17
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Was genuinely shocked that it was such a landslide.

There were some votes up in the air going into the final tribal but it seemed that Hannah and Ken made some solid points.

Turning point might have been Chris's testimony using his trial lawyer background. HE heaped praise on Adam and skewered Ken for his decision to vote David. That couldn't have been more wrong IMO. Infact, before the final tribal it was Hannah who went to Adam basically saying don't talk to Ken cause youll just fuck it up. So, Adam did NOTHING to cause Ken to vote out David and becomes the martyr. Ugh. That speech by Chris was wrong and it swayed 2-4 votes but I don't think it would've mattered.

I really liked the big ginger as a player but as a jury member he sucked.

Last edited by B & B : 12-15-2016 at 08:31 AM.
B & B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 02:58 PM   #18
General Mike
Pro Starter

I think Ken was screwed no matter what he did as far as David was concerned. His loyalty game was either out the window or he would have been up against a superior play.

IMO Adam revealing his mothers health issue was the biggest reason he won so decisively.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 04:01 PM   #19
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
I think Ken was screwed no matter what he did as far as David was concerned. His loyalty game was either out the window or he would have been up against a superior play.

IMO Adam revealing his mothers health issue was the biggest reason he won so decisively.

I agree with this. I thought Hannah was terrific at the final tribal council and made some compelling arguments as to how she controlled the votes. Adam might have still won, but I think it would've been closer without the mother revelation.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 06:46 PM   #20
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Hated the mother reveal 1 minute before the vote and the Chris BS. Wanted to see David win but with the final 3 thought Hannah had a good chance. I think she played much better than Adam overall and her reason for voting out that major d-bag Bret was very solid and people didn't seem to understand that.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:09 AM   #21
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Count me in as being surprised by the final vote. I thought Adam and Hannah's constant bickering would throw a few votes to Ken, but maybe that's just the power of a good edit.

In a way, it was too bad that David's fake idol play came when it did, especially since Jay played into it so perfectly. In a normal episode, that would have gone down as one of the best tribals ever. But since it was the beginning of the finale, we just kind of moved on and forgot about it, especially with David getting the boot a few minutes later.
Old 12-16-2016, 02:06 PM   #22
LloydLungs
College Prospect

For those who think Survivor tends to be sexist, I think they have some grist for the mill from this finale. The nerd girl is second only to the tribe mom in the "character types that have a near-impossible time winning" category. Each has had a winner (Sophie, Tina) but it's much more of an uphill climb. Two seasons in a row now we've had a nerd girl reach the finals with a pretty good case, and yet not come particularly close to winning.

Obviously Ken is ultimately responsible for Ken's vote but if you wanted to give anyone else credit, it was all Hannah. The fact that Chris didn't even ask, just assumed it must have been Adam... yikes.

Adam played a pretty good game though, you can absolutely justify him winning -- can't justify a 10-0 vote, though. For a winner he made a lot of blunders.

Are close final votes a thing of the past on Survivor? It seems more and more like the jury has a lot of time bonding at Ponderosa and tends to come to a near-consensus decision there. The last losing finalist to even get three votes was Coach and that was a 6-3 loss ten seasons ago. The last truly close final came in S21 when the idiot Fabio beat non-entity Chase 5-4, because nobody could stand the actual strategist that got there with them. It's been a while.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote