Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-17-2016, 04:54 PM   #1
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Madden 17

Another year...

It's out on EA Access, just started the download. Going to jump right into a game with the Chiefs vs Rams (hope to kick the crap out of those Rams)

It actually sounds improved.. I played it a decent amount last year.

Madden NFL 17 Review (Xbox One) - Operation Sports

MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 05:03 PM   #2
General Mike
Pro Starter

I haven't bought a Madden game since '12 I think. They one with Hillis on the cover. Kinda longing for any football game on PS4, but I'm just not sure how much I'd play it.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 05:53 PM   #3
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Apparently you can't actually play it until midnight.. it downloads but says your EA Access account is expired. Looks like tomorrow unless I can stay awake
Old 08-17-2016, 06:28 PM   #4
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

I cant even download....says "pending" on the xbox one...
SlyBelle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:07 PM   #5
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Well some are saying it's working now.. my d/l is at a crawl but I'll try it soon and post some impressions if I can get it to work.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:08 PM   #6
bhlloy
Coordinator

This is the year I finally dive back in I think as I haven't owned a copy for years. Nice to hear it's getting decent reviews
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:17 PM   #7
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Does seem like some people playing, but my download is crawling...only at 40%...likely won't be done until tomorrow at this rate. Reviews seem promising, although every year EA sport titles get early good feedback and then things get exposed
Old 08-17-2016, 09:30 PM   #8
Balldog
Pro Rookie

I was able to get it downloaded right as it became available.

So far so good despite me being horrible. I was down by 20 at halftime of both games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:32 PM   #9
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Random first impressions...

Opening is Rams (boo) vs Washington in a playoff game. I scored the TD but didn't convert the 2pt (yeah Rams lose!)

Played a 6 min quarters game Chiefs vs Rams - won 12-6

I missed two XPs and 2 FGs.. NICE! the new meter is pretty neat.

AP defaults had some penalties, running and passing are fun. Presentation is maybe the best I've seen in a sports sim in a very long time. Commentary as well, very good with the new 2 man booth.

I typically press A most of the time, but watching the players/coaches interact between plays really gives it a realistic feel to it.

Panning from the blimp camera to see the whole field is neat, fans standing up as you run down the sideline when Charles ran for a nice 30 yard game.

I like the popups that have you press a certain button at times - like RS to juke, etc when you are running a play. They don't always popup but do help a non-Madden vet like myself. You can now set a slider to ON to have the defense always rotate to the offensive play (default is ON).

Will play some more tomorrow.. really has a nice flow to it. Animations are very smooth and not once did anything look unrealistic. (some of the jump ball pass plays are really done well)

Oh... and the UI is very responsive and quick moving around the menus.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 08-17-2016 at 09:33 PM.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:41 PM   #10
Ned Doolittle
Banned

I sucked so much at last year's madden - my fault as I'm typically pretty good at it - that I stopped playing it and it soured me on playing anymore. I guess time has passed me by and I lost my touch. I couldn't figure out how to stop certain plays on multiplayer and kept getting burnt by them. Was only marginally better vs the AI.
Ned Doolittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:57 PM   #11
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Another year...

It's out on EA Access, just started the download. Going to jump right into a game with the Chiefs vs Rams (hope to kick the crap out of those Rams) [/url]

I'm sorry, I laughed.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:14 PM   #12
korme
Go Reds

Of course I pre-ordered.

We need to do a Madden online league
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:03 AM   #13
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
I'm sorry, I laughed.

Never be sorry!
Old 08-18-2016, 10:51 AM   #14
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Guess I'll fire up owner mode at some point and move a team back to St. Louis. I'm thinking Chargers at this point. Maybe even do a dynasty thread on them.
Old 08-18-2016, 11:10 AM   #15
Kodos
Resident Alien

Move the Raiders!
Old 08-18-2016, 01:54 PM   #16
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Move the Raiders!

They are in the running for sure!
Old 08-18-2016, 07:41 PM   #17
wustin
College Prospect

CPU vs CPU is finally back in franchise mode.
wustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:51 PM   #18
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wustin View Post
CPU vs CPU is finally back in franchise mode.

Well, that's actually a game changer for me. Is it "true" CPU vs CPU - ie. do we have the ability to keep the controller icon in the middle when picking a team pre-game?
Old 08-18-2016, 08:00 PM   #19
whomario
Pro Starter

Can someone check if supersim fixed or still broken for the 6th or so year ? (Too damn many plays run and thus insane results)
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:41 PM   #20
wustin
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Well, that's actually a game changer for me. Is it "true" CPU vs CPU - ie. do we have the ability to keep the controller icon in the middle when picking a team pre-game?

Nope...good old days are gone unfortunately.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:48 PM   #21
wustin
College Prospect

dola

saw another video with someone simulating a season for the stats, there had to have been at least 25-30 pass rushers with 10 or more sacks. Everything else seemed fine except for maybe Alex Smith throwing 4000+ yards and 37 TDs.

Last edited by wustin : 08-18-2016 at 08:48 PM.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:16 AM   #22
Comey
College Starter

In that video, the commentators said there was a "pretty good matchup of wide receivers".

It's Detroit against Minnesota.

Something is amiss here.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 05:22 AM   #23
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wustin View Post
dola

saw another video with someone simulating a season for the stats, there had to have been at least 25-30 pass rushers with 10 or more sacks. Everything else seemed fine except for maybe Alex Smith throwing 4000+ yards and 37 TDs.

Does Madden even have player tendencies ? My guess is it still has no way to differentiate other than ratings (and Smiths are propably high)
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
Old 08-19-2016, 12:41 PM   #24
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

My 10 hours are almost up and I can't stop playing. I'm impressed so far.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:43 PM   #25
Kodos
Resident Alien

Where is MBBF? He hasn't come by yet to shit on a game that he hasn't personally played. That's unlike him...
Old 08-19-2016, 12:46 PM   #26
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Commentary as well, very good with the new 2 man booth.

I like having Phil Simms with bad commentary.

When the AI has him say something stupid or irrelevant, I just pretend that it is really Phil Simms. Very realistic.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:05 PM   #27
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Where is MBBF? He hasn't come by yet to shit on a game that he hasn't personally played. That's unlike him...

I usually buy the game every year when it's heavily discounted. I don't feel screwed at a $10-15 price point.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:11 PM   #28
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Can someone check if supersim fixed or still broken for the 6th or so year ? (Too damn many plays run and thus insane results)

Always my biggest peeve. I read that the game logic is adjusted and no matter the quarter time length, supersim will try to flush out the same number of plays per team as a regular NFL game
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 05:24 PM   #29
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I can't stop playing.. please have at least one hour left to get one more game in.

I can't stress enough.. commentary is the BEST of any sports game I've ever played, period. It flows nicely, they talk about relative stuff that's happening during the game, it's just amazing. Not sure how that will flow in franchise mode, but I'm really amazed by it.

Game is super fun, even if you're not a Maddenite - I'm on AP defaults and playing with various teams vs various teams and no two teams are alike, which really immerses me into it.

It just feels so different than 16 did to me and not one thing yet has pulled me back from my video game bliss to realize it's a video game.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:58 PM   #30
SegRat
High School Varsity

I played 1 game. It was a lot of fun. I was the Packers and lost to the Vikings in O.T. I feel this is easily the best Madden I have played.
Old 08-19-2016, 06:33 PM   #31
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegRat View Post
I played 1 game. It was a lot of fun. I was the Packers and lost to the Vikings in O.T. I feel this is easily the best Madden I have played.

Except for the Sega Genesis days.. I do too.
Old 08-19-2016, 06:49 PM   #32
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

I know I may be falling victim to my own reservations with every EA sports game that gets released where the first few days everything is great and then all the problems show up....but with this version I am truly impressed so far and think it may be the actual best version. In my short time playing, I have seen the following....

- Many defensive interference calls and in believable situations
- I actually had one of my punts blocked, never had that before
- The CPU punter actually put the ball on my 2 yard line...in the past they always punted way short out of bounce or through the endzone
- CPU has believable running and passing game; defense has been good too
- Games have been really competitive
- The atmosphere is top notch, in some cases a little too much with all the replays and such
- Since the CPU have good long drives, sensible play calling; seen them hit the big plays too
- Seen the ball bounce around realistically....seen one play where defender batted the ball making a play, ended up on other side of field with interception

I am sure in a day or two I'll find something wrong, but right now this may be a winner...and of course, this was the first year I wasn't going to buy it
Old 08-19-2016, 07:05 PM   #33
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I want to get into playing Madden again, but I want to get a PS4 to play it on. I'm trying really hard to wait until there's a price drop on the PS4 (probably need to wait until Black Friday), but if this actually turns out to be a really good game, I will probably crack and pay the current price for a PS4. Urgh.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:29 PM   #34
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

I wasn't even going to buy, but now likely will and pay full price

Just saw the CPU throw an illegal forward pass...never saw that before either. And I didn't notice before, but the commentary is very current. They are mentioning things that just recently happened in pre season, I wonder if they will keep the content fresh all year. If so, very cool!
Old 08-19-2016, 07:42 PM   #35
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

You can skip most stuff by pressing A (xb1) which is cool. Love they way they show the starting lineups.

CPU does have big plays, which is refreshing! Yes, commentary will be constantly updated.

They also have play the moments where you can start simming the game and then the game will allow you to jump in during important plays/drives.. really cool feature if you don't have a lot of time.

Super sim is finally fixed!!!

Quote:
Play The Moments

Experience Franchise faster than ever. Jump into game-defining plays, drives and situations that matter to you, speeding up your experience and delivering more fun. For players who want to span their career the entire 30 years but are limited in time, Play the Moment will be your new way to play.

How does it work?

Before heading down to the field, choose between Play the Moments, Offense Only, Defense Only, or the Full Game. When you choose Play the Moments, the game will be simulated until it detects a key moment and then prompts you to jump right into the action. If you don’t want to play that particular moment, you can easily skip it. Choosing Offense Only or Defense Only before loading into the game allows you to easily play just one side of the ball.

You’ll be able to switch in and out of all the modes easily as you play your game. For example, you can start by playing the Full Game and then switch to Play the Moments at half-time once you have a sizable lead. It’s up to you on how you use it.

Types of Moments

As you Play the Moments, you’ll be prompted to jump into all three phases of the game: Offense, Defense, and Special Teams. When your team needs to keep a drive alive on a key 3rd down, you’ll be called down to the field to help. Once your team makes it to the Red Zone, you’ll be asked to help punch it in. At the beginning of the game, you may be prompted to play a full drive to get the lead early. In the last 2 minutes of the game and before half-time, your team will call on you to drive down the field and manage the clock. While on defense, you’ll be thrown in on 3rd downs to get the ball back and when the offense makes it into the Red Zone, you’ll be called upon to hold the line. When you need a big punt return to get back in the game, you’ll jump in and play. Anytime there is a field goal attempt you’ll jump in to try and block or make the kick yourself.

Simulation Speed

There are three different options for the simulation speed to choose from while the game is looking for the next key moment. By default, you’ll be able to follow along using the Normal play-by-play option where you’ll see the drive lines draw on the field with a quick recap of each play as it’s being simulated. This is the perfect balance between speed and knowing what’s going on in the game. If you want to jump to the next moment quickly, you can select the Fast option. The third option, which has been a community request, lets you slow down the game so you can watch each play unfold on the field in live action using the broadcast camera.

Super Sim

The Super Sim engine is the backbone of this feature so we’ve adjusted it to take into account the quarter length you choose. It doesn’t matter if you play using 6-minute or 12-minute quarters; the engine will balance itself to try and get close to the 120 play per game NFL average. This change will help ensure Play the Moment games have very similar score and stats when compared to the other Franchise games around the league. Since we’re talking about Super Sim, you’ll still be able to jump to the next play, next possession, next quarter, or to the end of game like you could in last year’s game.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:58 PM   #36
whomario
Pro Starter

While i love the news, i would still feel the urge to punch him if one of the developers in charge walked by. It´s just despicable that they never bothered to fix a feature that was so obviously broken beyond use and essential for a major game mode (career as a player). And now they are claiming they have "adjusted" it ...

As said, i´m happy about it being finally fixed and will likely get the game at some point once it´s available a little cheaper
Old 08-19-2016, 08:09 PM   #37
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I want to get into playing Madden again, but I want to get a PS4 to play it on. I'm trying really hard to wait until there's a price drop on the PS4 (probably need to wait until Black Friday), but if this actually turns out to be a really good game, I will probably crack and pay the current price for a PS4. Urgh.

There´s bound to be a bundle with Madden somewhere, no ? There were pretty good deals with FIFA over here last year, got my XBox one that way (basically a tad cheaper than normal with FIFA and an extra Controller) and there were the same sort of deals for the PS4.

Last edited by whomario : 08-19-2016 at 08:10 PM.
Old 08-19-2016, 08:21 PM   #38
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

if I can make a few hundred bucks from my writing thing (I wrote a supplement for a pen and paper rpg game), I'm going to turn in some of my old gaming systems and get a PS4.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:07 PM   #39
SegRat
High School Varsity

I am having a lot of fun with this game. The announcers are fantastic. Graphics are great. Play calling is good. Very, very impressed.
Old 08-20-2016, 02:52 PM   #40
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Can't wait until it's officially released next week, I'll take the 10% EA discount and get the digital version.

I'm in love with the Chargers now - Te'o and Bosa - soon they will be the St. Louis Chargers!
Old 08-20-2016, 05:26 PM   #41
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Just had a tough game playing as the Steelers, in all senses of it....

- Brown went out with season ending injury
- Bell went out with season ending injury
- Green went out with season ending injury

* I did up the injury slider to 25 since I hadn't seen a single injury at default of 10.

That wasn't even half the bad stuff....

- Redskins RB Jones ran up 350 rushing yards on me...never have seen that before, I really hope a fluke
- My RBs couldn't do nothing, ended up with something like 40 total yards on the ground
- Big Ben did very well with the receiving core, had over 350 is passing with a couple TDs...but in the end, lost by 10.

Did see some odd stuff in a franchise game with the XP stuff...not a huge deal, but one goal was a rushing TD for the RB, but my RB caught a pass and scored the TD and he still got credit.

Also noticed in the pre game training...several times I complete every task with success, but in the summary said I didn't.

Overall, leaning towards an absolute buy and for the first time will get the digital version...I like not having to get up to put the disc in and hear in spin around
Old 08-20-2016, 06:26 PM   #42
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyBelle1 View Post
Just had a tough game playing as the Steelers, in all senses of it....

- Brown went out with season ending injury
- Bell went out with season ending injury
- Green went out with season ending injury

* I did up the injury slider to 25 since I hadn't seen a single injury at default of 10.

That wasn't even half the bad stuff....

- Redskins RB Jones ran up 350 rushing yards on me...never have seen that before, I really hope a fluke
- My RBs couldn't do nothing, ended up with something like 40 total yards on the ground
- Big Ben did very well with the receiving core, had over 350 is passing with a couple TDs...but in the end, lost by 10.

Did see some odd stuff in a franchise game with the XP stuff...not a huge deal, but one goal was a rushing TD for the RB, but my RB caught a pass and scored the TD and he still got credit.

Also noticed in the pre game training...several times I complete every task with success, but in the summary said I didn't.

Overall, leaning towards an absolute buy and for the first time will get the digital version...I like not having to get up to put the disc in and hear in spin around

It is very nice to know that the injury slider has an effect. The more I hear about this game, the more I'm leaning towards getting it after a 3 year absence from the series.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 07:43 PM   #43
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
It is very nice to know that the injury slider has an effect. The more I hear about this game, the more I'm leaning towards getting it after a 3 year absence from the series.

Might have had too good of an effect for this game...basically lost my starting offense for the year
Old 08-20-2016, 08:44 PM   #44
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post

I had already made the decision I was going to skip this game. Still having fun with MLB The Show. Still need to finish Fallout 4 and Witcher DLC. Still want to get and play DOOM + the new Deus Ex coming out this week.

And of course I hear all these glowing reviews of the game. I'll hold off for three weeks or so and see what people think at that point. If it is good, I'll have some decisions to make.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 06:24 AM   #45
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Couple more impressions.....

- Tried the play in the moment feature....pretty darn cool. I could see myself playing that at times. Simming through the game seemed fairly realistic.

- Simmed a couple of seasons....did not see any stats that were completely off like in the past....nothing jumped out at me. No idea if you get into the future a great deal if things break down, but I never make it past a couple of seasons anyway Looks good.

- Not sure if the skills trainer was in the previous versions, but really like that feature. Not only can you practice, but tells you "why" you should do things. Before going through the training, I couldn't barely have a running game. Now I am really improved....just have to work on my passing game now

- The franchise mode seems solid, although I could do without all the XP and training stuff...its not bad, I would just rather focus on the week-to-week games.

- One thing that really helped me as well....changing the default camera view. I now use wide or all-22 and having much more success in gameplay. In the closer views, just couldn't react in time.

Last edited by SlyBelle1 : 08-21-2016 at 06:24 AM.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:24 AM   #46
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
There´s bound to be a bundle with Madden somewhere, no ? There were pretty good deals with FIFA over here last year, got my XBox one that way (basically a tad cheaper than normal with FIFA and an extra Controller) and there were the same sort of deals for the PS4.

No one should buy a PS4 right now anyway. Just wait two weeks. The new 4K model along with the PS4 Slim are both supposed to be announced on September 7th. After that, you can pick up one of the new models OR the old models will be offered in package deals where you can get a much better bang for your buck.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 01:45 PM   #47
Galaril
Pro Starter

So I am trying to avoid the hype, but man it is tempting you guys are killing me......damn you Madden go away.

Last edited by Galaril : 08-22-2016 at 01:45 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 05:41 PM   #48
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Not sure if a glitch or not, but the xbox store is showing the game released on 08/22 at 8pm eastern....maybe an early surprise release?
Old 08-22-2016, 06:01 PM   #49
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I've read that too.. so maybe.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:03 PM   #50
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyBelle1 View Post
Couple more impressions.....

- Tried the play in the moment feature....pretty darn cool. I could see myself playing that at times. Simming through the game seemed fairly realistic.

- Simmed a couple of seasons....did not see any stats that were completely off like in the past....nothing jumped out at me. No idea if you get into the future a great deal if things break down, but I never make it past a couple of seasons anyway Looks good.

- Not sure if the skills trainer was in the previous versions, but really like that feature. Not only can you practice, but tells you "why" you should do things. Before going through the training, I couldn't barely have a running game. Now I am really improved....just have to work on my passing game now

- The franchise mode seems solid, although I could do without all the XP and training stuff...its not bad, I would just rather focus on the week-to-week games.

- One thing that really helped me as well....changing the default camera view. I now use wide or all-22 and having much more success in gameplay. In the closer views, just couldn't react in time.

Play in the moment will get me through the first season.. then the ST. LOUIS Chargers will take to field and I'll play them all out.

I don't care for the XP stuff either, but I believe you can focus on a weakness like CB or WR..

I'm going to change the camera view too.. way to close on default.

I really like how fast the menus are too, I hope NHL is like that this season.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 08-22-2016 at 06:04 PM.