Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-14-2016, 10:09 PM   #1
Suicane75
Coordinator

Maybe I Want A Tablet

I've never owned a smart phone, tablet or laptop. I'm not looking for anything fancy per se, just something I can carry around with me and maybe do some surfing or play silly little games on. Would like something with an HDMI out is my only real prerequisite but I do think I'd rather have something closer to 10 inches, heh. And I'd like to spend no more than in the $100 range. What brands, types, models, should I be looking at?

Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:18 PM   #2
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

In that $100 range you are looking at a lot of options but none of them are great options. Slower processors, 1 GB RAM, low storage space.

Samsung has good tablets. Liking the new Asus ZenPad 8 tablet that came out a few months ago. The Kindle tablets are alright as well.

I had a Dell tablet once and it was beyond awful.

Ipads are the best value for the money IMO. High quality, stable, and have a lifespan that will last numerous years if you get enough storage space.

Here is a little website I found that could maybe help you out.

http://www.alphachooser.com/tablet_c...blet_computers

Last edited by jbergey22 : 08-14-2016 at 10:40 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 11:02 PM   #3
Suicane75
Coordinator

Thanks for the link. I see a couple on there that look like what I'm looking for.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:43 PM   #4
Suicane75
Coordinator

So I'm fairly set on getting this one,

Amazon.com : 10.1" Fusion5 104 GPS Android Tablet PC - 32GB Storage - Android 5.1 Lollipop - Bluetooth 4.0 - FM - 1280*800 IPS Screen - 5000mAh - 2MP front and rear camera - Supports OTA Updates : Computers & Accessories

I just have a question about internet browsing. Sites like Youtube, WWE Network etc and GMail work just like they would a browser on a PC, yes? Forgive me if it's a dumb question but I know as much about these things as I know about women.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:48 PM   #5
Logan
Head Coach

It will either be the same as browsing on a PC or they'll be on a similarly styled mobile site.

And don't forget about the little man in the boat.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 04:04 PM   #6
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
It will either be the same as browsing on a PC or they'll be on a similarly styled mobile site.

And don't forget about the little man in the boat.

Myth!

Thanks for the info.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:46 PM   #7
General Mike
Pro Starter

Some stuff you are going to have to use apps for. Wwe network would be the main one of the ones you listed. Netflix, Hulu are in the same boat as well.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 05:12 PM   #8
Suicane75
Coordinator

Ahh, OK. So if one of the main sites I'd be buying it for doesn't have a mobile app I'd be shit out of luck. Would a Windows tablet be more of what I'm looking for or are those "mobile" specific too?
Old 08-26-2016, 08:37 AM   #9
General Mike
Pro Starter

I think they are all pretty similar. Are you talking about New Japan World specifically?
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Old 08-26-2016, 09:39 AM   #10
Suicane75
Coordinator

Yeah, although as someone pointed out on the WO board, they do have an android app.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:55 AM   #11
General Mike
Pro Starter

Yeah, most sites either have an app or are still browser supported. Just make sure you get enough hard drive space. I got an android tablet from sprint and it's only 8gb. Even with adding an SD card, you can't do a lot, because a lot to f stuff won't save to the SD card.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Old 08-26-2016, 01:38 PM   #12
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

HDMI out? Lol

This isn't just for when you are taking a shit?
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 03:40 PM   #13
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
So I'm fairly set on getting this one,

Amazon.com : 10.1" Fusion5 104 GPS Android Tablet PC - 32GB Storage - Android 5.1 Lollipop - Bluetooth 4.0 - FM - 1280*800 IPS Screen - 5000mAh - 2MP front and rear camera - Supports OTA Updates : Computers & Accessories

I just have a question about internet browsing. Sites like Youtube, WWE Network etc and GMail work just like they would a browser on a PC, yes? Forgive me if it's a dumb question but I know as much about these things as I know about women.

I would just warn you that 1 GB RAM and streaming video doesnt always work out the best. If you dont care so much about choppy video its not a huge deal. Larger sites like that generally have mobile apps that function better on mobile devices. You can still go to them sites with the browser but some will kick you off once you get there and have you install the app. WWE and Youtube have their own mobile apps. Gmail you have the option but the mobile app is more simple.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 08-26-2016 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-26-2016, 04:38 PM   #14
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
HDMI out? Lol

This isn't just for when you are taking a shit?

You know I have the Big & Tall ladies catalog for when I'm indisposed.
Old 08-26-2016, 04:44 PM   #15
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
I would just warn you that 1 GB RAM and streaming video doesnt always work out the best. If you dont care so much about choppy video its not a huge deal. Larger sites like that generally have mobile apps that function better on mobile devices. You can still go to them sites with the browser but some will kick you off once you get there and have you install the app. WWE and Youtube have their own mobile apps. Gmail you have the option but the mobile app is more simple.

This is where I always back out of getting one. It becomes apparent the best low ends are priced too close to the low high ends and I end up getting cold feet because I don't wanna spend $300 but I also don't wanna throw $150 down the drain.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:29 PM   #16
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
This is where I always back out of getting one. It becomes apparent the best low ends are priced too close to the low high ends and I end up getting cold feet because I don't wanna spend $300 but I also don't wanna throw $150 down the drain.

This is truely a situation where you get what you pay for. Yes it may cost less to get a lower end tablet but you wont be as satisfied and in 1-2 years you will likely either not use it anymore or be replacing it. If you splurge and pay the extra now you will get something you will enjoy using and will have a lot longer lifespan.

Do a cost analysis on a per day basis of the longer lasting tablets like the newer samsungs or Ipads and the cost per day will actually be less if that helps you validate the purchase.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:44 PM   #17
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

I have a Pixel C with the keyboard. Retails at 650, but I'd be willing to sell it to an old pal for 600.*

*No, 599.99.

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 08-26-2016 at 06:46 PM.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 07:26 PM   #18
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
This is truely a situation where you get what you pay for. Yes it may cost less to get a lower end tablet but you wont be as satisfied and in 1-2 years you will likely either not use it anymore or be replacing it. If you splurge and pay the extra now you will get something you will enjoy using and will have a lot longer lifespan.

Do a cost analysis on a per day basis of the longer lasting tablets like the newer samsungs or Ipads and the cost per day will actually be less if that helps you validate the purchase.

That's my dilemma though, I have no interest in gaming or doing work on it, skyping, pictures etc.. So I feel like If I get something higher end that cost more, I'd be wasting money anyway. I think at the end of the day it's something I'm trying to talk myself into wanting instead of actually wanting.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:27 PM   #19
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
I have a Pixel C with the keyboard. Retails at 650, but I'd be willing to sell it to an old pal for 600.*

*No, 599.99.

Assuming you mean 599.99 pesos?