Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-07-2016, 06:27 PM   #1
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Thoughts - Well Wishes - Prayers Requested (Updated)

In the grand scheme of things this situation is pretty minor compared to so many that I almost feel a touch guilty even asking for Prayers and Thoughts but I guess we are all a little extra sensitive when it comes to our kids.

Short story: My son injured his knee yesterday in a high school football game and we will know the full extent of the injury tomorrow.

Long version: My son is a rising Sophomore in High School and a pretty good football player. He has been expected to play varsity this season after finishing the year there last year. Yesterday we scrimmaged a semi local school both Varsity and JV. Recently one of our JV lineman broke his leg in an ATV accident and our JV team, already low on numbers, doesn't have enough bodies to actually fill out an O-line. So yesterday my son played both JV and Varisty back to back, 2 games. The concession from the coaches was he was not to play any Defense just O for both teams. So the total snap count would be similar to what he experienced last season going both ways. He started both games at LT and did somewhere between very good and phenomenal. As dad I say phenomenal but I am open to the idea of some relational bias ...in the 4th quarter of the 2nd game (JV in this case) against a 4th string JV player He dropped into a pass set and said he felt a "pop" in his right knee. He immediately grabbed for his knee with his right hand, and blocked his man with his left. Actually earning a pancake on the play. (He's proud of that detail is why I chose to share it)

He immediately signaled the sideline for a sub and began heading off the field hobbling badly. He refused to let anyone help him off the field, pushed the LG away reached the sideline and only said his knee was sore. They sent our back up QB in for him at LT. I told you numbers were bad. When our athletic trainer realized he had taken himself out of the game, and knowing him and his personality he insisted on checking his knee out and getting him on the table. From the stands this was tough, but you know its football. 20 seconds later he took my sons helmet and handed it to the equipment manager. I left the stands at that point. By the time I got on the field maybe 4 minutes had passed since the play. My son's knee was swollen 3X the other knee and they would eventually cut his pants off him and bruised immediately.
The trainer (our high school is very lucky to have a board certified MD as a trainer who has been the trainer at the school since I went to the same high school more than 20 years ago - and is also a family friend)explained that he had performed a Lachman test and was immediately ruling my son ineligible from further competition until a Orthopedic Doctor cleared him to return.
(For the non medical or knee injury experienced, and to save a few seconds of Googling a Lachman test is the most common field test to check for an ACL injury)

From then until 15 minutes ago I've gone into automatic react mode. Trying to keep my son's spirits up, joking with him about faking an injury for attention, trying to help him manage pain without using narcotics. Helping him maneuver about (No small feat in and of itself. He is ~5" taller and 40lbs heavier than I and his bedroom and bathroom are on the 3rd floor of our house which seemed reasonable for a teenager to handle the stairs...now not so much - lol)

Anyway about 30 minutes ago, now sufficiently stir crazy he wanted to ride with my wife to town to pick up my daughter and some take out for supper so we helped him in the car and off they went.

Alone for the first time in 2 days, it hit me like a ton of bricks. Football was my first love, and I've watched my son select it as his as well, much to my discouragement. A 2nd ACL tear ended my football career in college, I suffered my first in the 10th grade. I was a decent athlete but limited by nature as a 6'0" O-lineman. He has more potential than I ever dreamed of. Both in terms of talent and size. I've actually worked hard to keep him off the radar somewhat and to slow the process, but he has already received a couple offers and much more attention after his freshman high school season. But on his current trajectory if he continues to want it and put in the work he has the potential to do anything he wants in the game. We have a common saying between us. "God has done his part. The only variable is you."
Well this is the one thing he cant control.

I'm watching him hurt, both physically and emotionally. And I cant take either of them away.

But that is what Dad is supposed to do, right? Make everything better.
I can't.

We see an orthopedic tomorrow at 10AM. And even though it isnt scheduled from there, I know we will leave and go straight to the imaging center across the street for an MRI. From there we will start to get answers and lay out rehab plans, this part wont change regardless of what the MRI shows. The specifics of the rehab will but the presence of it wont. He is scared of the unknown, and I am scared from experience.

Sorry again. I recognize this is all so inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. There is no fear that this is terminal. Even at its worst possible diagnosis medical science makes this an easily recoverable event in the long term. Just for some reason I am watching my child question his own dreams validity for the first time. I am blaming my self for the genetic deficiencies. I am exhausted both physically and mentally, and even though I know its not the right answer I just poured a large glass of bourbon and almost feel guilty because I cant share it with him to knock the edge off.

So thanks for reading my ramblings. Its been surprisingly cathartic. For those so inclined keep us in your prayers over the next 24 hours.

Last edited by CU Tiger : 09-08-2016 at 10:38 AM.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:30 PM   #2
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Prayers...
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:36 PM   #3
HerRealName
College Prospect

Sorry for the injury but, as I'm sure you're aware, ACL reconstructions are amazing these days. Nothing like we had in the old days. It sucks that he will miss this season but he'll likely be at 100% in time to hit the camp circuit next summer.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:41 PM   #4
tarcone
Coordinator

Prayers to you and your family.

The way they take care of knees today, he may be back befroe you know it.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:50 PM   #5
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

You know you've know got thoughts & prayers from my house to yours.

I do want to echo the encouraging words that HerRealName had about the advances that have been made. Son's best friend missed a half season with an 8th grade knee injury. He's in the mix to start as a (converted from quarterback / linebacker ) running back in DIII this fall. That's a long way from what things looked like on a Thursday afternoon nearly five years ago.
Old 08-07-2016, 07:45 PM   #6
RainMaker
General Manager

Sorry to hear. As others have said, the science behind ACL reconstruction has come so far over the last couple decades that he'll be back to 100% by next year. It's impossible to compare it to your knee injuries. Heck I tore mine 15 years ago and I know that it's changed a ton from even then.

A lot of athletes come back stronger because the rehab forces them to really strengthen their leg muscles to take strain off the knees. So while it sucks that he'll miss his Sophomore year, use it as a year where he can really strengthen himself. While the team is practicing he can tear it up in the weight room.

Also make sure you push for the hamstring graft. Much better for athletes. Although he'll be sore as hell for a few weeks back there.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 08:10 PM   #7
Thomkal
Head Coach

I'm assuming this is the son you mentioned to me might go to Coastal Carolina? In any case, I am so sorry to hear about the injury and what he and your family are going through right now. I will echo what others are saying about the medical advances in this area over the years. Many a football player has suffered this injury and gone on to play in college or the pro ranks. So don't expect the worse until you know more, and don't hesitate to get a second opinion if you don't like the first result. Don't hesitate to have him see a sports psychiatrist too to help him through this.

You didn't fail him Dad, life happens sometimes in a real shitty way. He will need you now more than ever while he recovers so stay strong. (and don't hesitate to talk to someone yourself if need be when the shock has worn off.)

You are in my thoughts, and please keep us updated on his status/recovery.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:16 PM   #8
cuervo72
Head Coach

Here's to a swift and complete recovery.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:41 PM   #9
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

God bless both of you. Your job isn't to fix everything, it's to help him find his own way. I'm sure you'll both get through this.
Old 08-07-2016, 09:13 PM   #10
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Wishing for a strong recovery.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:36 AM   #11
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Best wishes for a good recovery!
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:49 AM   #12
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Prayers for your son and your family.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:02 AM   #13
Logan
Head Coach

Hoping for a quick recovery as well. Good luck!
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:19 AM   #14
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Thoughts and prayers, man. Keep us updated.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:42 AM   #15
Kodos
Resident Alien

I'll join the others who are hoping this is just a bump in the road on his way to greater things. I hope his recovery is quick and complete.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:18 AM   #16
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Prayers to you and him.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:50 AM   #17
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Wow. The response both in this thread and through numerous PMs s a bit over whelming and I don't use that word very lightly.

It really touches me and means more than so many of you probably realize and a lot of the words contain very sage advice and good reminders not to "freak out".

I'm usually the level headed, analytical, stoic, accused of being "cold" one. But this whole situation has shook me up a tad, and reading all the responses here has my vision a tad blurry.

So we saw a PA at 8:30 this AM. Which was the first thing they could get us. Pretty quickly he said "this is out my comfort zone"

So now we sit on stand-by with a firm appointment at 1:30.
Lots of time to talk though, that's the silver lining.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:56 AM   #18
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

You've got his back. That means the world for a kid.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 11:49 AM   #19
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Prayers headed his direction. One thing to do, make sure you keep him positive. One of the lowest times in my life was when I tore up my ankle. Couldn't do anything for 2 months and my parents, who never knew how to handle me as a kid (I was extremely quiet), left me alone. As a teenager, that was the worst. Make sure you are there for him to talk to at any anytime.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:00 PM   #20
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Agree. If it's bad, it's probably better to say "When we get you back to 100%..." Not If or How... Keep him focused on going forward and not the moment that happened.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:14 PM   #21
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

praying for good news...
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 04:22 PM   #22
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Well an update filled with frustration...

The firm 1:30 appointment finally saw us about 2:30. He immediately ordered an X Ray, though told us it wouldn't really tell them anything it was required before an MRI could be scheduled, which would be needed to determine the severity of the injury.

X-ray done. Doc says "Yep. We will need to order the MRI to confirm the tear." The ladies up front will schedule it.

Ok...Ladies up front.
"We just switched to a new computer system and are way behind. So it is going to take 5-7 business days to schedule your MRI, and then probably a couple after that for an opening. No school or work until the follow up visit from the MRI, doc wants him off his feet 100% until then."

So I am here. The MRI lab, you own. It's right there. And I cant even schedule it for a week? I mean this isnt an insurance authorization BS issue. Just a schedule issue. Can I just walk over there and say "So when is your next available appointment?"

"Nope. The imaging center is owned by us and only does our patients. We have to schedule folks in the order the requests come in. With our new system we are way behind. There are like 40-50 in front of you to get scheduled."

I am pretty sure I physically blew steam out of my ears at that point. So we came home. ~45 miles each way. And I guess now we wait.

This sucks because "The waiting is the hardest part..."

Good news is my son is in excellent spirits. His coach called us and they talked for ~10 minutes or so. He told him he wants to come out to practice tomorrow even though he cant participate, but the doc wants him off his feet. The coach told him to come on and they will give him one of the trainer carts to drive around and said "You can help coach, until you can rejoin the lineup. Lord knows you can teach technique to even some of our upperclassmen and the mental reps will keep you sharp."

That meant a lot to him.

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers and I guess we will just wait by the phone now.
Old 08-08-2016, 05:02 PM   #23
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

And just because everyone likes pictures (and Dad likes to show off his boy)

Here are a couple photos some have seen:

This is him after a game last fall with Mitch Hyatt, Clemson's starting LT who he met at camp and formed a quick bond with.

This was from back in April pictured with Tajh Boyd the former Clemson QB.

And this was a photo taken by the student newspaper Saturday...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lane and Mitch.jpg (83.5 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg Lane and Tajh.jpg (112.5 KB, 71 views)

Last edited by CU Tiger : 08-17-2016 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:00 PM   #24
RainMaker
General Manager

Sucks to hear about the wait. I know it's not good news but the Lachman test is incredibly accurate. I think you know the answer, it's just about the confirmation now. Still, from the way you speak about him, I'm sure he will be back next year better and stronger. It sucks to not be on the field but camping out in the weight room for an hour or two a day will do wonders.

Also he definitely has D1 size. He must obliterate the JV squad.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:23 PM   #25
Thomkal
Head Coach

that's kind of ridiculous on the wait for the MRI. Is there no other place you can get one? a hospital?
Old 08-08-2016, 08:13 PM   #26
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
that's kind of ridiculous on the wait for the MRI. Is there no other place you can get one? a hospital?

That was my sentiment as well.
It gets complicated with 2 insurance companies here (ours and the schools) and while the Dad says "To hell with it just do the MRI and Ill pay for it"...the practical guy says, if its damaged and requires surgery they will wait 3-4 weeks post injury to allow swelling to minimize first so waiting a week really isn't changing anything but delaying our knowledge.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:34 PM   #27
tarcone
Coordinator

We have a place called Metro Imaging in St Louis. They are independent and tell you the cost up front and give results before you leave.

I did a google search and found this place:

Anderson Radiology | MRI • CT • Mammography •Â*Ultasound •Â*Medical Imaging

May want to look into them.

Old 08-08-2016, 11:27 PM   #28
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

CU, didn't see this until now. My best thoughts and wishes to you and your son and your family. I hope everything goes well.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:31 AM   #29
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Alright finally an update and some mental closure for the thread.

Finally got the follow up appointment in to get the MRI results.

All told it's about as good as we could hope for.
Complete tear of the lateral anterioral Meniscus
Grade 3 bone contusion
Sprain of the ACL and LCL.

We visit the Doctor on Friday (saw PA today) and they will be scheduling surgery for next week at that time . Then a couple weeks of PT and rehab and he should be able to return by mid point of the season.

Much easier road than an ACL rehab and it has really refocused him and made him appreciate the the opportunity to play the game. He's been a different kid these last two weeks. Really watching his nutrition reading about exercises and watching film and taking notes of practice every night....maybe this road bump will turn into a blessing.

Thanks again for all the well wishes and support.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:36 AM   #30
Butter
Coordinator

That is good news, considering. Good luck in his recovery!
Old 08-17-2016, 11:36 AM   #31
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Alright finally an update and some mental closure for the thread.

Finally got the follow up appointment in to get the MRI results.

All told it's about as good as we could hope for.
Complete tear of the lateral anterioral Meniscus
Grade 3 bone contusion
Sprain of the ACL and LCL.

We visit the Doctor on Friday (saw PA today) and they will be scheduling surgery for next week at that time . Then a couple weeks of PT and rehab and he should be able to return by mid point of the season.

Much easier road than an ACL rehab and it has really refocused him and made him appreciate the the opportunity to play the game. He's been a different kid these last two weeks. Really watching his nutrition reading about exercises and watching film and taking notes of practice every night....maybe this road bump will turn into a blessing.

Thanks again for all the well wishes and support.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:47 AM   #32
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post

flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:54 AM   #33
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

EXCELLENT NEWS!
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:15 PM   #34
Kodos
Resident Alien

That's great. Happy to hear it!
Old 08-17-2016, 12:18 PM   #35
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Righteous!

Just make sure he clears everything with the PT, I'm sure he's going to say "If I work really really hard and constantly, I'll be back quicker", and risk reinjuring it.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:29 AM   #36
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Late to the game...but good news!
Old 08-24-2016, 10:07 AM   #37
Kevin
High School JV

Good to see it's not as bad as feared!

Can some explain for me the term "rising"? I see it in SI all the time, but I've never heard used in Canada. How is a rising sophomore different from a plain sophomore? Are there sinking (j/k) sophomores?
Old 08-24-2016, 10:13 AM   #38
Butter
Coordinator

Rising just meant in this context that his son would be a sophomore when school starts back up, but school hadn't started its new year yet.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:17 AM   #39
Kevin
High School JV

thanks
Old 08-24-2016, 10:25 AM   #40
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Can some explain for me the term "rising"? I see it in SI all the time, but I've never heard used in Canada.

Butter already took care of the answer here, but I'll add that it isn't just an athletic term here. It's used with non-athletes/general student population too, especially at the K-12 level.

(I hardly ever hear it used outside athletics once students reach college though, now that you caused me to think about it)
Old 08-24-2016, 10:26 AM   #41
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And yes, echo'ing the excitement about the better-than-expected news.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:32 AM   #42
BYU 14
Coordinator

Missed this completely, but glad to hear things turned as they did. It is definitely the lesser of proverbial evils and knee surgery/rehab is so advanced now. It is amazing the progress just over my 28 years coaching, we get kids back in weeks now that used to be done for the season.

Wishing your son all the best in his recovery. BTW, he is a big boy!!
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 01:50 PM   #43
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks again guys.

The frustration with the system is setting in.
We are approaching 3 weeks and dont have a surgery date.
Because, process...

AT this point I am ready to go find another doctor, oh wait I cant really. Insurance wont approve a second opinion, and our doc wont share medical records on an open case. Means Id have to pay out of pocket for the new consultation and the MRI and then if this new doc agreed and scheduled surgery the surgery would be covered by the insurance.

Im in a shitty mood overall and this kangaroo court is pissing me off today
Old 08-24-2016, 03:31 PM   #44
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Thanks again guys.

Because, process...

AT this point I am ready to go find another doctor, oh wait I cant really. Insurance wont approve a second opinion, and our doc wont share medical records on an open case. Means Id have to pay out of pocket for the new consultation and the MRI and then if this new doc agreed and scheduled surgery the surgery would be covered by the insurance.

That doesn't sound right, they can't really stop you from obtaining a CD of the MRI results if you want to have another provider look at them. What reason are they using for this, as the open case excuse really doesn't fly.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 05:17 AM   #45
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
That doesn't sound right, they can't really stop you from obtaining a CD of the MRI results if you want to have another provider look at them. What reason are they using for this, as the open case excuse really doesn't fly.

Won't fly? I'm pretty sure it is not legal.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 03:55 PM   #46
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Thanks again guys.

Because, process...

Welcome to the new world of healthcare in the USA.

Great news though.

Be patient. If it been a bad tear, you would have been out for at least 12 months. So a little delay is still way better then expected.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:52 AM   #47
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

So an overdue update.

Lane had surgery on 8/30 and has done tremendously since. He was walking without crutches that afternoon and returned to school the next day. Doing rehab and rest and ice regiment.

Follow up appointment was yesterday and all looks great. Next appointment is 9/19 and Dr says if he trends the way he is currently he will release him to return at that time which would be just in time for rival week and he is stoked about that.

Really appreciate all the thoughts and well wishes!

Since I vented a bit on the process, I probably owe a conclusion for those following along at home. After the interaction above and being told we couldn't get his MRI results to get a second opinion I was determined to seek a new doctor but not wanting to start the entire process over. I have a close friend since childhood who is a radiologist in the same "network" as the ortho and reached out to him, not for assistance but council. Explained what was going on and he was shocked. He informed me that the Ortho office, which has long been "independent" was recently acquired by a local conglomerate. (Carolinas Healthcare for those local) and that he was personal friends with 2 of the surgeons in the office. He urged me to speak with his doctor directly and make him aware what was going on before I went elsewhere which seemed reasonable. I called his doctor directly and he called me back within 15 minutes. I explained where we were and our frustration. The doctor was (or at least acted) shocked that this wasn't scheduled already. He said that he had actually commented to the PA the day before that he was surprised he hadnt had the surgery yet as he knew my son was antsy to get back. He placed me on hold came back and apologized a dozen ways was quick to say I wont make excuses, this is unacceptable, our new system sucks. (So he kinda made a scapegoat if not an excuse). He said "I want to get that young man back healthy as quick as possible, can you be here tomorrow morning." That was it and we were done. The Dr is highly recommended locally for knees and I felt comfortable with his medical acumen so we went with him. Maybe I need more patience and maybe their system needs improvement.