Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-20-2016, 04:34 PM   #1
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

What's the right age to give a child a smartphone?

Discuss.

Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 04:36 PM   #2
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
5 years old, if someone is trying to take on a group of them.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 04:37 PM   #3
BYU 14
Coordinator

I was 48 when I got my first one
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 04:47 PM   #4
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Never. Dumbphones 4 Evah!
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 05:15 PM   #5
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Varies child by child.

I've seen some that were probably ready for one - with parental control & restrictions -- by somewhere in the 6-8 range maybe.

I've seen others that probably shouldn't have one at 19.

If I'm supposed to pick an "average" there, maybe 11-13 somewhere? At this point in the tech curve, I think any later than that & you're certainly putting them on the outside of the world looking in, with some disadvantages both socially and educationally.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:55 PM   #6
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

when they start paying for them
Old 07-20-2016, 06:13 PM   #7
cuervo72
Head Coach

Ours got them at twelve. They're in middle school, getting a little more independent, staying over their friends house more or going to school functions, etc. Basically, you're not constantly with them, but you still want to be in contact with them.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:18 PM   #8
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I can see giving our 8-year-old one in a few years. He has a hand-me-down one without cell service that he uses for taking pictures and playing some games already, though he's not allowed to use it all the time or whenever he wants.

What's funny is that I think I doubt he'll need voice service, as I expect he'll (and most kids his age) use texting and apps more than anything.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 06:21 PM   #9
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
If I'm supposed to pick an "average" there, maybe 11-13 somewhere? At this point in the tech curve, I think any later than that & you're certainly putting them on the outside of the world looking in, with some disadvantages both socially and educationally.

I think you raise an excellent point.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:19 PM   #10
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
What's funny is that I think I doubt he'll need voice service, as I expect he'll (and most kids his age) use texting and apps more than anything.

Good point, especially for those who haven't dealt with tweens/teens in a while.

My son's use of voice service usage is pretty much limited to us and the occasional official phone call for school related matters. (true in both HS and now college). Once in a while you have to talk to a real live human just to figure out where to send the next email.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-20-2016 at 07:20 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:35 PM   #11
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
I think you raise an excellent point.

I hope there isn't some support group for kids that don't have phones until they drive in the future...... "I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots".

TCY Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:58 PM   #12
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCY Junkie View Post
I hope there isn't some support group for kids that don't have phones until they drive in the future

I don't think there'd be a group ... not enough people to warrant one nor enough applicable practical social skills to get one together.

People bank on their phones, and are openly discouraged from doing otherwise. Increasingly, school assignments are given electronically AND turned in electronically. The school lunch menu is online, not even printed in all cases any more. Ditto the after-school schedule. And the appointment to get your senior picture taken.

I could go on & on & on but I'm pretty sure you get the idea.

Heck, how many of us here even still have a landline phone at this point?
Old 07-20-2016, 08:12 PM   #13
stevew
Hall Of Famer

First daughter was 11-12 I think. Second was 10. I feel like 8/9/10 is correct depending on your child.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:16 PM   #14
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

Quote:
I don't think there'd be a group ... not enough people to warrant one nor enough applicable practical social skills to get one together.

People bank on their phones, and are openly discouraged from doing otherwise. Increasingly, school assignments are given electronically AND turned in electronically. The school lunch menu is online, not even printed in all cases any more. Ditto the after-school schedule. And the appointment to get your senior picture taken.

I could go on & on & on but I'm pretty sure you get the idea.

Heck, how many of us here even still have a landline phone at this point?

Yeah, I get it. People should be more with nature, me included for sure. Would be interesting poll, I sure haven't not used a landline in some time.

TCY Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:19 PM   #15
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCY Junkie View Post
I hope there isn't some support group for kids that don't have phones until they drive in the future...... "I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots".

Today says hello.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:17 PM   #16
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Honestly, guys. If there's any value to the FOFC community, it's probably in getting us fathers through this phase before we retire.
Old 07-21-2016, 02:57 AM   #17
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Ours got them at twelve. They're in middle school, getting a little more independent, staying over their friends house more or going to school functions, etc. Basically, you're not constantly with them, but you still want to be in contact with them.

This is pretty close to what we're doing.. Our now 16 year old suffered through with a flip phone for almost two years before we upgraded her. Our now 12 year old will probably go straight to a cheap smart phone because he is almost certain to lose it within two months.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:29 AM   #18
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Once in a while you have to talk to a real live human just to figure out where to send the next email.

Old 07-21-2016, 08:21 AM   #19
PilotMan
Head Coach

Mine were 11 and 12 when they got theirs. I just got them the Samsung Galaxy Core. It did everything that I needed it to for them. It was super affordable, it looks like the S4/5, it has a sim card slot, it's processor is painfully slow at times, but they don't complain about it at all and they use them all the time for various things. It's really integrated into their lives very well.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:50 PM   #20
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

My wife just upgraded her phone and we passed her old one down to our oldest daughters who are 12 and 10. The 12 year old really only wants it for the safety and security of being able to reach us if she needs to. The 10 year old is probably going to be the bigger user, though, since she wants to play games or whatever on it like Pokemon Go.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 11:00 PM   #21
Atocep
Coordinator

My son was 9 when he got a fairly basic smartphone and 12 when he finally got a fully functional smartphone. The convenience of being able to text when he was at a friends house and other places was well worth it.
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 11:46 PM   #22
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post

That "talk to someone to find out where to send the next email" was inspired by actual events from earlier in the week. The correct email was nowhere on the university website, got it within a minute of talking to a live human.

Of course, what we were given has now bounced back twice :/
Old 07-22-2016, 08:38 AM   #23
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Depends entirely on the maturity of the child in question and the lifestyle they live, if they're always with you then there is little point for a very young child to have a phone (their friends can have your number etc. and most games etc. can be played on an iTouch style device).

If the child is mature enough to look after it and are frequently apart from you (say you're divorced from their other parent) then it gives you a means of communicating with them when they're absent etc. ... so I don't think there is a 'right age' as with most parenting its case by case.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:30 PM   #24
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I have two daughters and when they turned 13, they got their first phone.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:50 PM   #25
General Mike
Pro Starter

I don't have kids, but I would say the age you trust them to go somewhere without adult supervision, stay home by themselves, etc. It's a different world from when I grew up as there are no public payphones for kids to call you for a ride home from the movies, the library, etc.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:16 PM   #26
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
This is pretty close to what we're doing.. Our now 16 year old suffered through with a flip phone for almost two years before we upgraded her...

Our 15 year old son has had a flip phone for well over a year now and he hates it. On the other hand, I never see his face because he is always in the bathroom or in his bedroom...

...playing games on his iPod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:17 PM   #27
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
I don't have kids

Kids pffft...Generals don't have time for families.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote