Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-06-2016, 11:34 AM   #1
Butter
Coordinator

2016 Summer Olympics

hxxp://gawker.com/all-the-reasons-the-rio-olympics-are-fucked-1782463214

So, why didn't they move this to America again? How long do we really need to throw some cones/buoys up for rowing or come up with a route for a marathon?

Seems like it's been clear for a while that many construction projects won't be completed, many venues are unsafe (mostly the water ones), and even just walking around is taking your life in your hands with the security situation.

How big a disaster is this going to be? Or is everyone freaking out for no reason at all and everything will be fine?

Other threads about the Olympics so far:

Rio Olympics - Russia's Track and Field Banned - Front Office Football Central
U.S. Olympic Trials - Swimming - Front Office Football Central

Last edited by Butter : 08-03-2016 at 06:47 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 11:39 AM   #2
Logan
Head Coach

While I'm sure I can get by on bottled water or whatever, there's no way I'd go there due to security issues. Not even sure if it's Brazil specific but just what is going on in the world. All the facility stuff seems to work out everywhere at the last minute.

I think the Zika concerns are overblown as long as we're not talking about pregnant women or those trying to get pregnant in the near term (including men and their intentions with their significant others). I remember saying back when Zika was first getting publicity that I bet a lot of women in TV and news media were informing their bosses about their upcoming pregnancy many months before they initially planned on having those conversations.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 11:54 AM   #3
nol
Banned

Petition: Move the Olympics to the United States Midwest

There's still time!
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:05 PM   #4
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
So, why didn't they move this to America again?

I generally think these type of comments are disruptive. They just make other countries believe that people are complaining because they want the Olympics moved to their home country rather than articulating real concerns.

Besides, no American city really wants the Olympics anymore IIRC. I think this was the one where Chicago lost to Rio in voting, but something like 45% of Chicago residents didn't want the Olympics.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:06 PM   #5
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post

If Joe Flacco believes in it, then so do I!
Old 07-06-2016, 12:11 PM   #6
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I generally think these type of comments are disruptive. They just make other countries believe that people are complaining because they want the Olympics moved to their home country rather than articulating real concerns.

Besides, no American city really wants the Olympics anymore IIRC. I think this was the one where Chicago lost to Rio in voting, but something like 45% of Chicago residents didn't want the Olympics.

No American city wants the Olympics with all of the demands the IOC makes. That doesn't seem to stop all manner of crazy bidding elsewhere though, whether or not promises can be met. I do remember in the World Cup in Rio, that one stadium started the tournament unfinished.

Between this, the Russia World Cup, the Qatar World Cup, you have to wonder if both of these sporting events are going to reach their day of reckoning soon.

No matter where they have the Olympics, there should not be venues that are literally life threatening for participants to compete in, as the sailing and rowing venues are. I really don't care where they are.

Last edited by Butter : 07-06-2016 at 12:11 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:15 PM   #7
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

This. I thought we had moved past bidding for the Olympics games.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:29 PM   #8
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
While I'm sure I can get by on bottled water or whatever, there's no way I'd go there due to security issues. Not even sure if it's Brazil specific but just what is going on in the world. All the facility stuff seems to work out everywhere at the last minute.

I think the Zika concerns are overblown as long as we're not talking about pregnant women or those trying to get pregnant in the near term (including men and their intentions with their significant others). I remember saying back when Zika was first getting publicity that I bet a lot of women in TV and news media were informing their bosses about their upcoming pregnancy many months before they initially planned on having those conversations.

The thing about Zika is the unknowns. If the issue really is limited to pregnancy then it shouldn't be a big deal, but the CDC now has enough circumstantial evidence to start investigating a link between Zika and Guillain-Barré Syndrome...

http://www.cdc.gov/zika/about/gbs-qa.html

Last edited by Breeze : 07-06-2016 at 12:29 PM.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:57 PM   #9
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
This. I thought we had moved past bidding for the Olympics games.

We did. 40 years ago. Now things are coming full circle again.

I still think there is something special about the Olympics, but greed will ruin things.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:04 PM   #10
MrBug708
Head Coach

I think Los Angeles would take it again if they could. Had they gotten the bid instead of Chicago, people thought we'd get to host for the third time
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:44 PM   #11
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I think Los Angeles would take it again if they could. Had they gotten the bid instead of Chicago, people thought we'd get to host for the third time

LA bidding now for 2024 Games
Old 07-06-2016, 01:51 PM   #12
digamma
Torchbearer

I think everything will ultimately be worked out. We heard this in 04 with Athens infrastructure and in 08 with Bird Flu in Beijing and in 14 with labor camps in Sochi. Maybe you never feel great about the Olympics, but they always seem to look pretty.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:52 PM   #13
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
I think everything will ultimately be worked out. We heard this in 04 with Athens infrastructure and in 08 with Bird Flu in Beijing and in 14 with labor camps in Sochi. Maybe you never feel great about the Olympics, but they always seem to look pretty.

I fall into this line of thinking.

Though, of course, the only way to change the IOC's really stupid Olympic policies is for one to spectacularly fail so that they forced to make substantial changes.
Old 07-06-2016, 02:47 PM   #14
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

A few other articles that show Rio isn't off to a great start:

Australian Sailor Mugged a Gunpoint

3 Spanish Sailors also robbed at gunpoint

Rio police tell tourist they won't be able to protect them

Body parts wash up on Olympic beach
Old 07-06-2016, 03:55 PM   #15
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

You've been warned.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 07-06-2016 at 03:55 PM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 06:52 PM   #16
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
No American city wants the Olympics with all of the demands the IOC makes.

This. If you were bidding to host the games and didn't have to include all the crazy and expensive IOC demands, it would be much more reasonable.

Also, I think the reason why the U.S. comes up as an alternate "emergency" venue for this (and the WC) is that it's one of the few countries (maybe the only) with the infrastructure to handle this kind of event on short notice. There's probably conservatively 10 major metros alone with the requisite venues & hotel space to make it happen.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:44 AM   #17
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

At least OFF has been named the official bug spray (to fight off Zika) of the Olympic Games

OFF - the official bug spray of the Olympic Games!
Old 07-07-2016, 06:51 AM   #18
RainMaker
General Manager

I don't know if it will be a disaster or not but the media does tend to do this before every single Olympics games.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:55 AM   #19
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze View Post
The thing about Zika is the unknowns. If the issue really is limited to pregnancy then it shouldn't be a big deal, but the CDC now has enough circumstantial evidence to start investigating a link between Zika and Guillain-Barré Syndrome...

http://www.cdc.gov/zika/about/gbs-qa.html

It's Winter for Brazil and Rio is East where the Zika problem is not as big. Cambridge did a study that estimated the odds of being infected are something like 1.7 out of a million.

The facilities are air conditioned from what I've read and will be heavily laced in pesticides.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 12:23 PM   #20
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Russia state-sponsored doping across majority of Olympic sports, claims report - BBC Sport

Hoo boy.

edit: WADA is calling for Russia to be banned from the 2016 olympics. Not just track and field, which already had been banned... a complete country ban.

Last edited by SirFozzie : 07-18-2016 at 12:24 PM.
SirFozzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 04:36 PM   #21
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I think these Olympics are a dangerous, dangerous undertaking.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:31 AM   #22
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

This can't be good:

http://www.si.com/olympics/2016/07/2...group-suspects
Old 07-24-2016, 11:32 PM   #23
Atocep
Coordinator

Blocked toilets and exposed wiring: Olympic Village dismays Australia team | Sport | The Guardian

Looking more and more like a potential disaster.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:00 AM   #24
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze View Post

Someone tell ISIS Brazil is doing just fine fucking up the Olympics on their own.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:21 AM   #25
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Russia state-sponsored doping across majority of Olympic sports, claims report - BBC Sport

Hoo boy.

edit: WADA is calling for Russia to be banned from the 2016 olympics. Not just track and field, which already had been banned... a complete country ban.

Russia not banned-though some athletes who have tested positive before are-they are leaving it up to the individual sports federations to decide who to ban, which seems a recipe for disaster. And the Russian whistleblower is also banned, because she tested positive before, and possibly because she was a whistleblower.

International Olympic Committee decides against full Olympic Games ban for Russia
Old 07-25-2016, 09:38 AM   #26
whomario
Pro Starter

Why is due process a recipe for disaster ? The IOC sent out a set of rules to apply for the different organisations, those organisations likely have better insight into the respective sport/athletes than the IOC on top of this.

Seriously, how would you justify punishing athletes that have undergone strict testing for years while continously being on the "circuit" outside russia (say f.e. Tennis players) ? Slippery slope and i´m happy the IOC chose otherwise.

Also: Might have been the savy move to encourage whistleblowers, but theres no way to claim "sho got banned because she´s a whistleblower". She merely doesn´t get special treatment ...
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:10 AM   #27
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Kendra Harrison set a world record in the 110m hurdles last week (breaking a record that has stood since the 80s) and she's not going to Rio because of a 5th place finish at the Olympic trials.

I'm starting to wonder if the US should change its qualification system for Track & Feld. Right now it's top three at the trials no matter what. If Jamaica had that same criteria, Usain Bolt would not be competing this year. I'm thinking maybe they should give 2 spots to the top 2 at the Olympic trials and save the 3rd spot for the athlete who has performed the best over the last year.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:47 AM   #28
whomario
Pro Starter

Very radical system of course, though i doubt that any alternative would be able to take a record so close to the Olympics into account. And it´s definitely the most transparent system you can think of, so i think it has that going for it. (plus it´s oh so very american ). Not fair per se, but transparent.

I think most other countries basically nominate on current results (Germany for Track&Field used January 2015 till July 11 2016) and then use the national trials/championships as a sort of tie-breaker (champion gets a spot as long as he has the nescessary results to be eligible) or to fill out open spots, f.e. for Relay competitions. In Germany you generally need to achieve a certain amount of certain results (placement or time/distance) to be eligible since January 2015 and then a committee decides if there´s more athletes eligible than there are available spots. Not exactly a foolproof system either of course ... One consequence of this is btw that germany doesn´t always use all available spots in all competitions at the Olympics if there´s not enough athletes eligible (there´s exceptions here though, f.e. if someone was injured but clearly has rising form while having great past results)
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
Old 07-25-2016, 10:53 AM   #29
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Very radical system of course, though i doubt that any alternative would be able to take a record so close to the Olympics into account. And it´s definitely the most transparent system you can think of, so i think it has that going for it. (plus it´s oh so very american ). Not fair per se, but transparent.

Oh I agree that they couldn't make a decision this late. But she would've been the choice even if they had to pick that 3rd spot right at the trials. She had the best time in the world this year prior to that world record.

Old 07-25-2016, 11:06 AM   #30
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Oh I agree that they couldn't make a decision this late. But she would've been the choice even if they had to pick that 3rd spot right at the trials. She had the best time in the world this year prior to that world record.

suspected that much, but was admittedly to lazy to look

As said, it´s just a typically american way of doing it this way when it comes to sports. Not really the most effective of course (i mean, it´s not rocket science that it´s not exactly a great idea to basically train for 2 peaks so shortly after one another. In other countries the top athletes can basically take care of business and then plan their training to reach their peak at the Olympics, not 6 weeks earlier)
Old 07-25-2016, 11:07 AM   #31
tarcone
Coordinator

Why cant they just take the top 3 based on times from the year leading up to the olympics? Running is about as objective as you can find a sport when picking athletes.

I like the take top 2 qualifiers an leave the 3rd as a WC. That allows the USOC to make its money with the trials, but also allows wiggle room for a competitor who may have had one bad day.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:23 AM   #32
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Why cant they just take the top 3 based on times from the year leading up to the olympics? Running is about as objective as you can find a sport when picking athletes.

I like the take top 2 qualifiers an leave the 3rd as a WC. That allows the USOC to make its money with the trials, but also allows wiggle room for a competitor who may have had one bad day.

Wind speed, track speed, certainly for middle/long distance level of competition, etc, could lead to people peaking to hit a time to be selected rather than peaking for the Games...

I think first two past the post in the trials + one wild card is the best system. We have something similar to Germany's by the looks of it, and also don't always use our full complement on occasion because the UK minimum time is stricter than the IOC requirements.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:28 AM   #33
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post

Actually there´s a lot of outside factors as well Weather especially (wind, warm/cold, rain or not), but the tracks are also slightly different with some allowing for faster times than others. All those should even out over a season to some degree of course but it definitely means you shouldn´t go by "the best time" but some sort of average system (not all results, but maybe best 3 ?). Just playing devils advocate here, really

I personally like the german procedure of setting a minimum-time/distance that has to be met and then the coaches, the Federation and the NIOC figuring out the rest based on overall results (and yes, reputation) while the NC winner is guaranteed a spot as long as he met the criteria at any point over the last 1 1/2 years. That way you reward athletes for being consistent, make sure stars (well, "stars") and don´t eliminate people for having a bad day (or being sick/injured) on that one all-deciding day.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:36 AM   #34
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I think one benefit of the trials (other than getting $$$) is that they simulate Olympic conditions, with multiple heats. Track meets throughout the year often don't have that and someone who excels at those conditions might not be as prepared for the Olympics. That's why I think the 2/1 balance is a good idea.

Old 07-25-2016, 12:34 PM   #35
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Kidnapped by fake police...

http://www.si.com/olympics/2016/07/2...icers-olympics
Old 07-25-2016, 02:27 PM   #36
AlexB
Pro Starter

These fears are all a little OTT. To try and calm people down, Rio have released pics from the Test swimming event.

Last edited by AlexB : 07-25-2016 at 02:29 PM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:11 PM   #37
Groundhog
Coordinator

The Australian basketball team was supposed to play Lithuania a few hours ago in a friendly in Rio. Game was called off due to a leaking roof..........
Old 08-03-2016, 06:49 AM   #38
Butter
Coordinator

Bunch of women's soccer on today on NBCSN, starting at noon Eastern.

USA v. New Zealand at 6 PM Eastern.

Last edited by Butter : 08-03-2016 at 06:49 AM.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:03 AM   #39
Thomkal
Head Coach

now that they are starting, lets try to keep this thread limited to the results rather than the controversies. in other words, Go USA!
Old 08-03-2016, 12:50 PM   #40
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Should be interesting to see how these go. I remember when these were must watch tv.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:04 PM   #41
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
My old high school has their first alumni Olympic athlete. Katie Meili qualified to compete in the 100m breaststroke.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:16 PM   #42
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

So, that Japanese gymnast that ran up the $5k bill due to roaming charges playing Pokemon Go ... I thought the game wasn't even launched there yet, since we got mulitiple stories about that in the past week or so.

Did they do a quick rollout in time to let them play? Or is there something fishy about the alleged phone bill?
Old 08-03-2016, 01:59 PM   #43
whomario
Pro Starter

From what i remember you could play in in Germany before the official release as well and while you can´t search for the little creepers, you can do stuff with the game in Brazil if you have it pre-installed (basically managing the pokemon you have collected elsewhere).

also, the phone company reportedly massively reduced the bill to sth like 30 bucks a day.

Olympic gymnast runs up $5,000 phone bill playing Pokemon Go in Brazil

also, Simbabwe has a womens soccer team ? That could get ugly against the germans, even though that team is less than impressive by usual standards. Lots of loyalty-picks in the roster, imo ... Other than Maroszan, not much first-grade talent.

Last edited by whomario : 08-03-2016 at 02:01 PM.
Old 08-03-2016, 03:56 PM   #44
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

And Canada just had a huge win over Australia, playing a good chunk of the match with only 10 players.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 04:25 PM   #45
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
From what i remember you could play in in Germany before the official release as well and while you can´t search for the little creepers, you can do stuff with the game in Brazil if you have it pre-installed (basically managing the pokemon you have collected elsewhere).

But...

Quote:
Uchimura said he downloaded the app when he touched down in Sao Paulo for pre-Olympic training camp and just like so many around the world, became instantly hooked — not knowing he didn’t have a flat rate for overseas data usage.

Japanese Gymnast Reportedly Racks Up $5,000 Bill Playing Pokémon Go At The Olympics

The folks in the DS comments seem to think he was streaming porn and concocted the Pokemon Go story to cover it up.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 06:51 PM   #46
MrBug708
Head Coach

So the fans are yelling Zika at Hope Solo

Edit - It's apparently because of a picture she posted on IG

Last edited by MrBug708 : 08-03-2016 at 06:56 PM.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:26 PM   #47
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
The folks in the DS comments seem to think he was streaming porn and concocted the Pokemon Go story to cover it up.

So at least I now know that I'm not the only person basically thinking that.
Old 08-04-2016, 03:29 PM   #48
whomario
Pro Starter

Anybody watching the water polo match between Germany and Mexico ?
Old 08-04-2016, 05:10 PM   #49
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

Location: Osaka, Japan via Honolulu, Hawaii via Birmingham, Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
But...

Japanese Gymnast Reportedly Racks Up $5,000 Bill Playing Pokémon Go At The Olympics

Wouldn't be surprising, seeing as Uchimura got some girl knocked up a few years ago...

Oh, and Pokemon Go has officially been out here for at least a week.

Last edited by bbgunn : 08-04-2016 at 05:11 PM.
bbgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 05:44 PM   #50
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbgunn View Post
Wouldn't be surprising, seeing as Uchimura got some girl knocked up a few years ago...

That´s ... not necessarily a correlation