Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-23-2016, 09:19 PM   #1
Suicane75
Coordinator

Canadian Football

Got some questions for any CFL fans on the board. I need my football fix so I'm trying to get into the Canadian this seasons and a few things have sort of thrown me watching the game tonight.

1) I get that multiple players are allowed to be in motion going forward, but it very often seems like those players are past the line of scrimmage before the ball is snapped. Are my eyes deceiving me?

2) What is the clock situation? I noticed that the game clock continued to run even after a touchdown was scored and Hamilton was setting up for the XP, is this really a thing?

3) Are there any special clock stoppage rules like clock stops on a 1st down, etc.?

I must admit, it's kind of hard to get into with all the weird intricacies.

Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:27 PM   #2
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
PING: DAIVD WINTER
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:29 PM   #3
Suicane75
Coordinator

He's busy making his new game. Star Whars, Rouge One.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:34 PM   #4
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I'm not a hardcore fan, but I live up here and have watched a lot of games over the years. And I still can't answer any of your questions.

I agree that the receivers almost always appear offsides as the ball is snapped. I chalk it up to the fact that CFL officials are atrocious. When people complain about NFL officiating I just chuckle because they would absolutely tear their own brains out of their skulls if they had to put up with the garbage we see in the CFL.

As for the clock, I think that it's running time until the 3 minute warning (yes, three minute warning), and then inside that it will stop until the ref sets the ball, then it begins running again immediately, before the snap.

It's also important to note that a final play always has to be run, so the clock will stop at 0 but the offense still has to run one more play (no shaking hands as the last 30 seconds tick off after a kneel down).
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:58 PM   #5
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I'm not a hardcore fan, but I live up here and have watched a lot of games over the years. And I still can't answer any of your questions.

I agree that the receivers almost always appear offsides as the ball is snapped. I chalk it up to the fact that CFL officials are atrocious. When people complain about NFL officiating I just chuckle because they would absolutely tear their own brains out of their skulls if they had to put up with the garbage we see in the CFL.

As for the clock, I think that it's running time until the 3 minute warning (yes, three minute warning), and then inside that it will stop until the ref sets the ball, then it begins running again immediately, before the snap.

It's also important to note that a final play always has to be run, so the clock will stop at 0 but the offense still has to run one more play (no shaking hands as the last 30 seconds tick off after a kneel down).

Yeah, I did notice the reffing in the game being sub par but I just chalked it up to rust.

That final play thing is all sorts of silly.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:15 PM   #6
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Yeah, I did notice the reffing in the game being sub par but I just chalked it up to rust.

That final play thing is all sorts of silly.

It may have changed in the past couple years but CFL refs were always part-time employees to my knowledge, working day-jobs during the week and then reffing on the weekend. The other thing to note about the games this year is that, I think, there are actually a few NFL refs on the crews in some sort of experiment to help improve the CFL officiating. The CFL will also be sending some of their refs to NFL development programs. You can read about it here.

As for the final play thing, a lot of Canadians think it's silly that in the NFL you can have a game ending with time still ticking away, or on a series of kneel downs. I can't say I totally disagree with that point of view, actually. There are a lot of interesting/bizarre finishes in the CFL because of those rule intricacies, along with the kicking rules. Like this one:
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."

Last edited by Fidatelo : 06-23-2016 at 10:16 PM.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:22 PM   #7
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

This video is actually kind of awesome at explaining the differences (outside of the timing, he doesn't really get into that, so it might not be useful to you):

Last edited by Fidatelo : 06-23-2016 at 10:25 PM.
Old 06-23-2016, 11:20 PM   #8
Suicane75
Coordinator

Thanks for the videos guys. I'm starting to think this is going to be much harder to get into than I anticipated.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:21 AM   #9
Kodos
Resident Alien

Maybe this could be the solution to my no summer sports worth watching problem.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:53 AM   #10
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Got some questions for any CFL fans on the board. I need my football fix so I'm trying to get into the Canadian this seasons and a few things have sort of thrown me watching the game tonight.

1) I get that multiple players are allowed to be in motion going forward, but it very often seems like those players are past the line of scrimmage before the ball is snapped. Are my eyes deceiving me?

2) What is the clock situation? I noticed that the game clock continued to run even after a touchdown was scored and Hamilton was setting up for the XP, is this really a thing?

3) Are there any special clock stoppage rules like clock stops on a 1st down, etc.?

I must admit, it's kind of hard to get into with all the weird intricacies.

1. There's a 1 yard grace and it's to when the guy starts snapping the ball. This can get extended within reason. If someone is like 3 or so yards over he'll probably get called.

2. I don't think this is a thing. Maybe they've changed it this year when outside of the end of a half (see below)

3. Clock should stop in the final 3 min on first downs as they reset the ball.

One of the more interesting ones is no fair catches, you'll generally see one guy who signs mid season after NFL training camp show up, make the fair catch signal, then get annihilated.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:54 AM   #11
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Thanks for the videos guys. I'm starting to think this is going to be much harder to get into than I anticipated.

It's not that bad, once you get past the 3 downs thing it's pretty similar. Except with the bigger endzones the game doesn't bog down when you get in the redzone.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:30 AM   #12
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Has anyone figured out why it is REDBLACKS and not Redblacks. Why is it Rouge et Noir and not ROUGE ET NOIR in French?
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 03:10 PM   #13
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayyyyy View Post
Has anyone figured out why it is REDBLACKS and not Redblacks. Why is it Rouge et Noir and not ROUGE ET NOIR in French?

New Ottawa CFL ‘REDBLACKS’ franchise asks that you write their nickname in ALL CAPS | Shutdown Corner - Yahoo Sports
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:19 PM   #14
chrisj
H.S. Freshman Team

Location: Edmonton, Alberta (but still wishing I was in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada)
Quote:

Yep - playclock runs until the extra point is done.

Quote:

From the CFL Rulebook:

Quote:
Time shall start when the ball is touched following the kickoff at the start of a half, or after a scoring play, and shall continue until the ball is ruled dead and an official signals to the timekeeper that time shall stop for any of the following reasons:

- When a score has been made
- When the ball goes Out of Bounds
- When a forward pass is incomplete
- For the application of penalties
- For player substitution
- For delay caused by player injury
- When time expires at the end of each period
- When the ball becomes dead after the three-minute warning has been given in any half
- When a player requests a team timeout
- For a convert attempt during the last three minutes of a half
- When the Referee deems it necessary to suspend play.

If in any period the ball becomes dead with only a short period of time remaining, the team in possession shall be entitled to one complete play even though that play may extend beyond the normal termination of that period.

If a touchdown is scored on the last play of a period, the period shall be extended to include the convert attempt.

FYI if you want a good read of the CFL rules there is a version of the rule book online (it isnt official - but posted by someone who has seen the rule book):
https://cfldb.ca/rulebook/
chrisj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:59 PM   #15
cuervo72
Head Coach

Calgary really shouldn't have black helmets. Their unis look too much like Atlanta Falcons knock-offs.
Old 06-25-2016, 11:01 PM   #16
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
He's busy making his new game. Star Whars, Rouge One.

Oh, and this was gold.
Old 06-26-2016, 12:16 AM   #17
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Oh, and this was gold.

I've enjoyed all the games this weekend, but the learning curve is much steeper than I thought it'd be. Loved seeing a pass interference get challenged. They seem to handle the challenges about a metric fuck ton quicker than the NFL does as well.
Old 06-26-2016, 12:23 AM   #18
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
Yep - playclock runs until the extra point is done.
From the CFL Rulebook:

FYI if you want a good read of the CFL rules there is a version of the rule book online (it isnt official - but posted by someone who has seen the rule book):
https://cfldb.ca/rulebook/

Awesome. Thanks much.
Old 06-26-2016, 02:29 AM   #19
SunDevil
College Prospect

This thread needs more beer tent.
That's a double whammy and I hate you.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:21 PM   #20
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Wait? Both teams benches are on the same sidelines?
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:48 PM   #21
Suicane75
Coordinator

I'm growing to enjoy this game a lot more as the weeks go on. One thing I particularly enjoy is how much the kicking game means.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:19 PM   #22
Suicane75
Coordinator

So apparently if the ball goes out of bounds on a fumble or a legal onside kick, possession goes to whatever team touched the ball last. That's kind of awesome.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:07 AM   #23
bhlloy
Coordinator

Being able to review judgement calls really ruins it for me. I see what they are going for but you can probably call holding or illegal contact on any given play in football
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 12:08 AM   #24
bhlloy
Coordinator

DOLA - this has been a great game though. Just kind of takes the edge off a great play when the coach can try and challenge some bullshit that might have happened IMO
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 12:38 AM   #25
Suicane75
Coordinator

Completely agree. That you can challenge illegal contact on a player not involved the play, or challenge it all really. It's just not needed. I've noticed there seem to be a ton of flags in the league as it is.

All that aside though, that was a great effing game.
Old 07-30-2016, 01:45 AM   #26
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

A hell of an ending. When BC went up with 4 to go and people started leaving I told the guy next to me there's a lot of time left. Hell of a game
Old 07-30-2016, 08:27 AM   #27
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I didn't realize the CFL had to end with a play and not kneeldowns. I like it even more now.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:05 AM   #28
Suicane75
Coordinator

So many little nuances I'm still picking up on. Down 8, Calgary was kicking off. The ball went through the end zone, which I thought, and the announcer himself, momentarily called a rouge. But apparently the kickoff has to be fielded in the end zone and not brought into the field of play for it to be a rouge. Ball goes through and it's just a normal old fashioned spot it at the 25 deal.

Also, the deal on punts where any punt that lands out of bounds outside the 20 is a penalty. Me like.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:18 PM   #29
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

The NFL has the better athletes, but the CFL is a more entertaining game with the field size and the rules...coach's challenges aside.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 12:54 PM   #30
Suicane75
Coordinator

Maximum jokes aside, I'd really love a CFL video game.
Old 07-30-2016, 01:04 PM   #31
djsatu
High School Varsity

Glad to see more peeps from south of the border open up to the CFL. It really is an entertaining game, and excellent value for your buck to see it live in person. Last nights Stamps game was crazy!
djsatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 01:10 PM   #32
Suicane75
Coordinator

GOD HAVE MERCY ON US ALL!!

I yahoo'd Candian Football Video Game and I was led to this

Canuck Play Game Studios

Oh dear, this looks awesome. I dug deeper and I found this...

Canuck Play (@CanuckGS) | Twitter

Interview With Canuck Play President...DAVID WINTER!!

Old 07-30-2016, 01:12 PM   #33
Suicane75
Coordinator

I can't. I just can't. I can't do this all over again. Hold me. Someone hold me and tell me it'll all be alright, that it was a just a bad dream and that I'm awake now, in the real world, and he can't hurt me again.
Old 07-30-2016, 01:22 PM   #34
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Interview With Canuck Play PresidentDAVID WINTER!!

This is a youtube video. I'm watching it now. They spend the first few minutes talking about Maximum Football.

Canadian Football 17 Coming To XBOX One; Interview With Canuck Play President David Winter - YouTube

I'M IN.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 01:35 PM   #35
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
This is a youtube video. I'm watching it now. They spend the first few minutes talking about Maximum Football.

Canadian Football 17 Coming To XBOX One; Interview With Canuck Play President David Winter - YouTube

I'M IN.

Release date of June of 2017. Mark that down, game will ship on Christmas 2017. That's right, by March 2018 you will have this game in your hands. Act now and you'll be playing Canadian Football 17 by July 2018.
Old 07-30-2016, 01:36 PM   #36
Suicane75
Coordinator

Oh Jesus. He doesn't sound like he's learned a thing.
Old 07-30-2016, 02:15 PM   #37
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Oh Jesus. He doesn't sound like he's learned a thing.

Nope. Its going to be a beautiful train wreck. I can't wait.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:56 PM   #38
cuervo72
Head Coach

Seriously, these WR are like two yards offsides sometimes.
Old 08-05-2016, 03:19 AM   #39
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I wish a real CFL game would come out. Too bad 2K can't make one.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 03:35 AM   #40
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Will there be beer tents?
Old 08-05-2016, 09:43 AM   #41
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Seriously, these WR are like two yards offsides sometimes.

It really only gets called if the guy is like level with the linebackers or into their break. It was something that was kind of annoying when you played cornerback, although in someways it was an advantage because normally the QB isn't ready to throw when the guy is open and can really screw up the timing.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:03 PM   #42
Suicane75
Coordinator

Sweet Sally in the alley, Toronto has a fair or carnival grounds behind it's stadium and you can actually see the ferris wheel and big top behind the end zone. It's no beer tent, but it's close.