Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-07-2016, 05:31 PM   #1
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Jackson, MS hotels

I remember being part of a group that saved a fellow board member when his friend was going to stay in East St Louis a year or so ago. So maybe you all can help me avoid a similar problem. It looks like Jackson, MS is the perfect stopping point for our trip. Obviously we probably won't stay in the heart of downtown but any outlying areas better than others? Too many mixed reviews on sites like trip advisor from five stars to one star for the same location. On here I thought I might have a shot at an honest assessment.

I know people think St. Louis and think crime so maybe that is where I am at with Jackson. There are probably only about 5% of th hotels here I would stay away from so is Jackson not that bad? Family trip so price is. It an issue for safety.

panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:54 PM   #2
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I lived there fifteen years ago. At that point all the name hotels were in fine areas, on the outskirts and/or near the airport. I don't recall any great hotels, but none of them were obviously sketchy.

Where are you going? There are better places in MS to stay and see things if you have the time.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:38 PM   #3
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

We are traveling from St. Louis to Gulfport and Jackson is about the exact driving distance that our kids have pooped out on the previous two trips we took. (6-7 hour driving point) It would basically be for sleep only with no sightseeing or local stuff planned. I guess we conceivably could travel a little further down 49 (I think you turn off 55 at Jackson) or stop a little sooner but that state doesn't look like there is much going on in the way of hotels. I would rather fork out 150 for a suite so our 18 month olds can sleep in a different room than a $30 super 8 in some tiny town. Appreciate any additional advice and the advice given already.

I thought you were a Cincinnati to New York guy? Never knew you lived down in SEC country! :-)

Last edited by panerd : 06-07-2016 at 08:43 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:58 PM   #4
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Madison is a very nice town.

I also stayed at a super 8 once along that stretch that was fine.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:56 PM   #5
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
Madison is a very nice town.

I also stayed at a super 8 once along that stretch that was fine.

So Madison is a little north of Jackson?

Don't get me wrong I am not some hotel snob at all. We just have my wife and I along with a three year old and 18 month old twins. None of the three sleep very well with other human distractions around. A suite is basically essential.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:23 PM   #6
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I haven't lived there for quite a while, so I can't give you any specific hotels. If it's a chain, it should be fine.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:32 PM   #7
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Can't say anything about the hotels, but one time when passing through Jackson we stopped at Popeyes, but they were out of chicken.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote