Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-30-2016, 12:14 PM   #1
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

MLB Show 16: Anybody care?

People know this game came out already, right?

Just got it and have played a couple of games. It is my first experience with this series.

I have to say I am slightly disappointed with it so far. I know this isn't the popular opinion, but it hasn't drawn me in like MLB 2K12 did.

Anyone else have any impressions or tips?

LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 12:30 PM   #2
SackAttack
Head Coach

PS4 Show lost me when they pared the franchise mode way back. I've given it a couple chances, but all I've used '14 and '15 for is RttS with that pare-back. If that's all I'm going to play, I'll wait 'til I can find it for $30 or less.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 12:53 PM   #3
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Got it yesterday. Love it, just like I always do. This and FIFA are the only game I play on a console now (and NCAA, if it ever comes back).
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:01 PM   #4
TroyF
Coordinator

I got it and enjoy it, but for me the importing my rtts characters were both screwed up. The dynamic hitting doesn't work in RTTS mode right now and my pitcher had 3 corrupt tries before he finally got in. Thankfully, the pitcher works just fine once I got it fixed.

It'll be pitcher only for awhile. (I could change the hitting difficulty to all star, but I'm not worried about it. I kind of like my pitcher better anyway.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:18 PM   #5
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

I just bought it an hour ago and am looking forward to firing it up for the first time tonight.

This is my first exposure to the series, as I've always had an XBox and just got a PS4 at Christmas. MLB The Show was one of the main reasons I steered toward a Playstation console so I hope it matches the hype.

I hear the franchise mode is much improved and that the stats are now much more thorough as opposed to previous years. Looking forward to seeing it myself tonight.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:41 PM   #6
Balldog
Pro Rookie

I'm trying not to buy it! I always enjoy the game but just never have the time to really get deep enough into it.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:49 PM   #7
RainMaker
General Manager

How is RTTS? It's really the only mode I play.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 02:04 PM   #8
CraigSca
Pro Starter

RTTS: I know it's more streamlined - you don't have to load each game of a series it'll take you right to the next game.
how do you know?

Old 03-30-2016, 02:16 PM   #9
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
RTTS: I know it's more streamlined - you don't have to load each game of a series it'll take you right to the next game.

That's actually a big deal for me. My problem with RTTS was how long it took to get through a season.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:18 PM   #10
RainMaker
General Manager

Game is only $48 if you have Amazon Prime. Shows up at checkout.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:05 PM   #11
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
That's actually a big deal for me. My problem with RTTS was how long it took to get through a season.

You can also offload baserunning and fielding, I think. Haven't tried it yet.
how do you know?

Old 03-30-2016, 03:18 PM   #12
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Game is only $48 if you have Amazon Prime. Shows up at checkout.

Thanks! Just bought it.

I'm looking forward to the lack of loading between RTTS games. It will seriously nearly double the amount of games I can get in. It honestly took that long by the time you got out of one game and then loaded back into the next one.

FYI.....turning off baserunning and fielding has been in the last couple of editions.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 03:24 PM   #13
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
You can also offload baserunning and fielding, I think. Haven't tried it yet.

Yeah, you can. You can wipe out everything outside of batting and pitching if you want. (which is what I do)

Being able to cut down on the load times is terrific. Game to game to game. You can wipe out a month in an hour or so as a hitter. (assuming you don't field or baserun)
Old 03-30-2016, 03:27 PM   #14
RainMaker
General Manager

If you turn off baserunning and fielding you don't get points for that stuff, right? I would always skip unless I was the lead runner but I felt obligated to do fielding because I'd miss out on a handful of points every game.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:33 PM   #15
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
If you turn off baserunning and fielding you don't get points for that stuff, right? I would always skip unless I was the lead runner but I felt obligated to do fielding because I'd miss out on a handful of points every game.

Correct. I usually include fielding for the same reason you mention. Unless you've built a speedy CF, no real need to do baserunning.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:05 PM   #16
BYU 14
Coordinator

Loving this version so far, much more variety in animations and the game is gorgeous to look at. Plus, stats are so much deeper and loading times are vastly improved.

Was playing the Yankees at Toronto just now and had a routine grounder to Gregorious catch the lip of the turf and take a bad hop over his shoulder, something I have never seen before that literally made me mark out.

Also have discovered the joy of "clean screen" classic timed pitching on All-Star. No ball trail, no catchers glove to aim at, just move the analog by feel to an approximate location and then alternate how long I hold the button for control/velocity. Feels like really pitching and it brings the pitchers ratings into play so much more.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 03:51 AM   #17
Icy
Pro Starter

RTTS is really great now that you don't need to go back to the main menu after each game, love how fast you can advance compared to past versions where you expended as much time loading as playing.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:59 AM   #18
DanGarion
Coordinator

I wish there was a game for the Xbox One.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:28 PM   #19
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

My concern is that the reviews I've read make Road to the Show seem a lot more arcadey this year. Apparently there are powerups, special abilities, and slowing down time involved. Are these features at least optional?
IlliniCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:09 PM   #20
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Correct. I usually include fielding for the same reason you mention. Unless you've built a speedy CF, no real need to do baserunning.
I wonder if pick off moves are improved this year. I found an exploit last year where if I could draw a throw to first and break for second, I could steal the bag 80% of the time with an average base runner.

Very on the fence with this one. Last year's was my first experience with the series outside playing on a friend's system, and I was underwhelmed. Might get it on sale just for what I'm sure is an improved Royals immersion.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:46 PM   #21
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Glad to see I am not the only one underwhelmed. I am a big presentation guy and MLB 2K12 would constantly reference the standings and individual and team league leaders throughout the game. And to me it played great.

MLB Show doesn't seem to have any of that. So despite the beautiful graphics, I might be shelving this one.
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 01:55 AM   #22
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniCub View Post
My concern is that the reviews I've read make Road to the Show seem a lot more arcadey this year. Apparently there are powerups, special abilities, and slowing down time involved. Are these features at least optional?

Fully optional, I don't use them in my serious sim career, but have tried it in another fun arcade one and it's ok for a change once in a while, specially to slow down the time on defense to make spectacular dive plays.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 03:32 PM   #23
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Enjoying it quite a bit, skipped 15 and went 14 to 16, which I think was the right move. . However I've now witnessed 2 successful hit and runs playing online and both times it broke the game. Players on the field don't react to anything and it never goes to next at bat. Have to quit out.

Frustrating.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 03:56 PM   #24
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I will say I wish EA would steal their interface. Maddens on field game has improved dramatically over the last few years but it's amazing just how slow and painful to use the out of game interface is.

MLB is extremely quick and pleasant to use in comparison.

Old 04-02-2016, 08:32 PM   #25
TroyF
Coordinator

I do not play fantasy modes. I don't do the FIFA or Madden ultimate team thing, have never been involved with Diamond Dynasty in MLB The Show. The reason I say that is because of what I'm about to say next.

I absolutely am addicted to conquest mode. One of the more enjoyable things I have ever played. I got a Sale card and flipped it for 2 packs of cards and have parlayed those packs into a lot of other great players. I still don't have a dream team by any stretch (I have zero diamond players and only a handful of gold ones), but man this is a blast.

I highly recommend trying it.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:08 PM   #26
FBPro
College Starter

I've played since v1(2006 I think) and it is a nice change from playing OOTP like crazy.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:48 AM   #27
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Got in a good session yesterday morning of RTTS. SO much nicer to be able to avoid all the loading screens. I honestly felt sleepy at time watching the spinning loading gizmo so much in past versions. Definitely one of those 'why the hell didn't they think of this before?' moments.

I can't decide whether I like the new 'Showtime' moments. Perhaps I'm just not understanding how they work completely or how they help me as opposed to the standard gameplay.

There's some scoring goof-ups on infield hits/errors, but they usually snag those pretty quickly in patches.

I like the chatter coming out of the controller in RTTS. Makes it feel a bit more interactive.

Going to get in another session later today.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:51 PM   #28
TroyF
Coordinator

Have to say, these server issues are making the game almost unplayable. They did a great job getting me addicted to the risk type of gamestyle in diamond dynasty, but it takes 10 to 15 minutes to do anything when people get home from work. The entire thing just goes dead for 3 hours. That's just not acceptable.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:44 PM   #29
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah, this is garbage. Don't even want to play online but a ton of the stuff like XP and the dynamic skill is apparently stored online, and it's taken (so far) 10 minutes to get in to the main screen tonight.

Good game, but it's going back on the shelf if I can't get into the damn thing.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:58 AM   #30
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I find the loading screens and general out of game delays are significantly better than 14 and an order of magnitude better than Madden. I'd actually say it's one of the better parts of the game.

I haven't had the hit and run issue since Sunday, which is great since that was a game ruiner. The issues getting a game going online with failed connections persist, but to me are more of an unfortunate annoyance than a deterrence.