Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-29-2016, 08:39 PM   #1
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

MLB Extra Innings

Bumped a thread about this that was in the archive. I'm looking at this for this season, but I have a few questions for those the subscribe or have used it.

How do the "local blackouts" work? I live 250+ miles from Wrigley Field and yet my home team is listed as the Cubs/White Sox/Reds for blackout purposes. I'm looking at the TV schedule and it seems that quite a few (a majority even) of the Cubs games are going to broadcast on CSN Chicago, it looks like many of the games against the Reds will be on Fox Sports Ohio, and many of the games out west will be broadcast on Fox Sports West.

I have zero of these channels in my lineup due to my location. I get alternate versions of them instead. Will these games on these networks be blacked out on the extra innings service? I've got the top sports package offered to me and the Cubs set up to a series recording and it looks like I will get about 1-3 games a week at the start of the season. Basically if they are on WGN, ESPN, or MLB Network I get the game. If they play on anything else I'm SOL. Would this fill in that blank or would I get the big black out?

dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:15 PM   #2
spleen1015
Coordinator

I think you'll get the blackout.

I have MLB.tv which I assume has to follow the same rules. Living in Indy, we are considered to be in the same markets as you and whenever the Orioles play one of those teams I can't watch the games.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:17 PM   #3
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

You will probably be blacked out. There's a tool on mlb's site where you can enter your zip and see what teams you are blacked out for.
IlliniCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:55 AM   #4
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
Bumped a thread about this that was in the archive. I'm looking at this for this season, but I have a few questions for those the subscribe or have used it.

How do the "local blackouts" work? I live 250+ miles from Wrigley Field and yet my home team is listed as the Cubs/White Sox/Reds for blackout purposes. I'm looking at the TV schedule and it seems that quite a few (a majority even) of the Cubs games are going to broadcast on CSN Chicago, it looks like many of the games against the Reds will be on Fox Sports Ohio, and many of the games out west will be broadcast on Fox Sports West.

I have zero of these channels in my lineup due to my location. I get alternate versions of them instead. Will these games on these networks be blacked out on the extra innings service? I've got the top sports package offered to me and the Cubs set up to a series recording and it looks like I will get about 1-3 games a week at the start of the season. Basically if they are on WGN, ESPN, or MLB Network I get the game. If they play on anything else I'm SOL. Would this fill in that blank or would I get the big black out?

You'll be blacked out. They use the internet location to judge as well. Travel to Colorado with MLBTV and the Rockies games are blacked out. I read about changing VPN's and all the other crap, but it hasn't been a huge issue for me because my team sucks so bad. I'd rather watch other teams anyway.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 08:33 AM   #5
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Could be worse... Arizona Diamondbacks, Los Angeles Dodgers, Los Angeles Angels, Oakland A’s, San Francisco Giants, San Diego Padres are all blackouts for Las Vegas because everyone can drive 500+ miles to catch a quick Giants/A's game.

In theory 6 games a day can be blacked out from the MLB.tv package for living here.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 08:35 AM   #6
spleen1015
Coordinator

I know folks who pay something to VPN so that they can watch any game they want, like $10-$15 a month.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:16 AM   #7
Scarecrow
College Prospect

[cough] strikeout.co [/cough]

Last edited by Scarecrow : 04-01-2016 at 08:18 AM.
Scarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:41 PM   #8
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

How does the archive work? I wouldn't hate the idea of watching the games later so long as they all get archived and the result doesn't get spoiled for you as you navigate the app.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:45 PM   #9
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
How does the archive work? I wouldn't hate the idea of watching the games later so long as they all get archived and the result doesn't get spoiled for you as you navigate the app.

You can watch every game you want after it is played. They do post the scores however. Youd have to have someone else click the steam for you. As far as I know there isnt a way to hide the scores.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:39 AM   #10
lcjjdnh
College Prospect

Quote:

Yes. There is an option to hide scores on the MLB.tv iPad app. I can't tell if there is also an option if you're just using the MLB.tv webpage, but I can tell you that I don't see the scores from yesterday's games on there.
lcjjdnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:48 AM   #11
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Doublecheck - they changed the blackout rules this season to let in-market folks see their home team under certain circumstances.

However, if you intend to watch all of your games online, a VPN is the way to go.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:00 PM   #12
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Doublecheck - they changed the blackout rules this season to let in-market folks see their home team under certain circumstances.

However, if you intend to watch all of your games online, a VPN is the way to go.

That feature is still "coming soon," but required by court order prior to the 2017 season. When they actually offer it I will be all in on it.
Old 04-02-2016, 06:48 AM   #13
Miller Time
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:

If you are talking about the mlb.tv package, they do a pretty solid job of archiving the games.

You can adjust your settings to hide scores and then jump into a game at any point.

I launch off their multimedia page (which never contains scores) Today's Streaming Baseball Game | MLB.com - pick the game I want and then can jump innning to inning.

Apple's apps can do the same a certain degree though I find it a little more cumbersome.

MLB also posts a condensed game shortly after the game concludes.

Definitely good value for your $105 for the entire season IMO.
Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:24 AM   #14
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

If you have T-mobile, starting today you can sign up and get the mlb.tv package for FREE.

T-Mobile is A Proud Sponsor of Major League Baseball
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote