Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-13-2016, 04:14 PM   #1
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia dead at 79

404 - StoryLine

Quote:
Associate Justice of the Supreme Court Antonin Scalia was found dead Saturday at a luxury resort in West Texas, according to multiple reports.

Scalia was 79 at the time of his death.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 02-13-2016 at 04:15 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 04:16 PM   #2
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott's statement.

Old 02-13-2016, 04:16 PM   #3
PilotMan
Head Coach

Holy Shit.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 04:17 PM   #4
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Rest in Peace, Mr. Scalia.

And let the extreme shitshow from the GOP to block his replacement begin
Old 02-13-2016, 04:19 PM   #5
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Here's the original breaking story:

Senior U.S. Supreme Court Associate Justice Antonin Scalia found dead at West Texas ranch - San Antonio Express-News

Quote:
Scalia, 79, was a guest at the Cibolo Creek Ranch, a resort in the Big Bend region south of Marfa.
According to a report, Scalia arrived at the ranch on Friday and attended a private party with about 40 people. When he did not appear for breakfast, a person associated with the ranch went to his room and found a body.

Chief U.S. District Judge Orlando Garcia, of the Western Judicial District of Texas, was notified about the death from the U.S. Marshals Service.
U.S. District Judge Fred Biery said he was among those notified about Scalia's death.
"I was told it was this morning," Biery said of Scalia's death. "It happened on a ranch out near Marfa. As far as the details, I think it's pretty vague right now as to how," he said. "My reaction is it's very unfortunate. It's unfortunate with any death, and politically in the presidential cycle we're in, my educated guess is nothing will happen before the next president is elected."

The U.S. Marshal Service, the Presidio County sheriff and the FBI were involved in the investigation.
Officials with the law enforcement agencies declined to comment.
A federal official who asked not to be named said there was no evidence of foul play and it appeared that Scalia died of natural causes.
A gray Cadillac hearse pulled into the ranch last Saturday afternoon. The hearse came from Alpine Memorial Funeral Home.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 02-13-2016 at 04:20 PM.
Old 02-13-2016, 04:20 PM   #6
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Well now the Presidential race is going to be all about the Senate refusing to confirm a replacement.

Scalia was a great force, no doubt, and a massive personality. There will be a war over the replacement.

edit: His friendship with Ginsburg was one of the fascinating tidbits of the court.

Last edited by JPhillips : 02-13-2016 at 04:20 PM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 04:21 PM   #7
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Holy Shit.

What he said.
Old 02-13-2016, 04:24 PM   #8
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Well now the Presidential race is going to be all about the Senate refusing to confirm a replacement.

Scalia was a great force, no doubt, and a massive personality. There will be a war over the replacement.

edit: His friendship with Ginsburg was one of the fascinating tidbits of the court.

I've been friendly with assholes, too. He's not the first to appear on the planet.
Old 02-13-2016, 04:31 PM   #9
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Has anyone seen when votes are/were made on the big cases in front of the court? If the votes have already happened, do Scalia's votes still count? What happens if the court deadlocks 4-4?
Old 02-13-2016, 04:32 PM   #10
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Heck, many of us here on this board are friends of people here on this board who we think have "asshole" political views.. we just avoid talking about that stuff or if we do, we basically say "Yeah, "So and So is just to the right-wing of Atilla the Hun"", or "So and So would ruin the country if they ran for office in a mountain of debt". We don't try to convert each other, or even really fight, because we know we won't agree.
Old 02-13-2016, 04:35 PM   #11
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Has anyone seen when votes are/were made on the big cases in front of the court? If the votes have already happened, do Scalia's votes still count? What happens if the court deadlocks 4-4?

Lower court decision stands.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...cotus_tie.html

Last edited by Young Drachma : 02-13-2016 at 04:36 PM.
Old 02-13-2016, 04:42 PM   #12
digamma
Torchbearer

RIP to a Court titan who I didn't always agree with, but certainly respected for his intellect and writing ability.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 04:59 PM   #13
molson
General Manager

I really enjoyed his writing. He made the whole concept of what the Supreme Court does and what appellate law is generally very accessible to me during law school, and I think that was true of a lot of people whether they agreed with him or not.

He was one of the few justices whose concurrences and dissents really mattered - they could be very persuasive to state and federal appellate judges. He was really locked into the practical impact of what he was doing, he could foresee the real-life issues that would arise from various big opinions, and he would use concurring and dissenting opinions to guide lawyers and judges who faced those issues later to make the arguments and rulings he thought should be made. As an appellate lawyer, it was always great to find one of those Scalia zingers in a concurrence or dissent when I was trying to argue how narrow a majority opinion or concept was was, or how it shouldn't be applied to some different issue.

And he was a real teacher of legal writing. He was one of the modern appellate judges who strongly believed in keeping language plain and simple. He came to talk to our office last year, and you could tell that he was most interested in talking about legal writing, and in his grumpy fashion, criticizing lawyers who can't write in a simple way.

Last edited by molson : 02-13-2016 at 05:05 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 06:08 PM   #14
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Such a great loss. And such utterly horrible timing.

Rest in peace good sir, thank you for your efforts.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:18 PM   #15
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Holy Shit.

Another of these.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 08:16 PM   #16
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence Thomas
Holy Shit.

cf Log In - The New York Times
Old 02-13-2016, 08:28 PM   #17
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

My colleague and I have talked about how his later opinions did not do him justice. He let his anger get the best of him in the Affordable Care Act and gay marriage cases. Those will hurt his legacy a bit. If he had retired after Heller, he would have gone out on the top of his game.

That said, he was one of the most important and influential Justices of all time. He's rightly on the level of Brandeis, Warren, Brennan, Rehnquist, etc.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 08:32 PM   #18
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Dola, and he could be the best friend to a criminal defendant. On the right issues, he was more pro D than anyone on the court
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 11:29 AM   #19
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

The biggest bias in my government class is my love of Scalia. I love that there was a mental giant representing a side. (Unlike, in my opinion, Thomas, the political place holder) Ginsberg said she loved the way he challenged her- and that is exactly what I think the founders would have wanted.
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 03:56 PM   #20
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Sadly, I think Justice Scalia could have gone down as one of the great jurists in American history had his public rhetoric matched his private beliefs. Scalia clearly had strong beliefs and fought for them tooth and nail in the scope of his job, yet at the same time held the greatest regard and friendships with polar political opposites such RGB and Kagan.

In a time when this nation is so divided, Scalia could have been the clarion voice that said disagreements over the role of government, the law and the morality are not personal, that it's possible to disagree over politics but still treat each other with dignity and respect and not hold hate for one another.

I wish he had done that, because it sure seems he lived his private life that way. Instead, too many politicians look to his rhetoric and not his practice. They think Scalia hated liberals. He didn't, he simply disagree with their interpretation of the Constitution. People who twist Scalia's words into hating the other side don't understand Scalia.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 04:01 PM   #21
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
My colleague and I have talked about how his later opinions did not do him justice. He let his anger get the best of him in the Affordable Care Act and gay marriage cases. Those will hurt his legacy a bit. If he had retired after Heller, he would have gone out on the top of his game.

That said, he was one of the most important and influential Justices of all time. He's rightly on the level of Brandeis, Warren, Brennan, Rehnquist, etc.
The name I think of with Scalia and his legacy is Roger Taney. No doubt conservatives for decades and maybe even centuries will explore his writings for inspiration. But I think in the long term, his retrograde positions on many social issues will harm him in the long run. Just as the Dred Scott decision made the legacy of Taney mixed, I think in the future he will be judged as an influential yet flawed jurist who was behind the times in the area of civil rights.

Last edited by kcchief19 : 02-14-2016 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:04 PM   #22
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Scalia's votes on any pending decisions are no longer valid.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:56 PM   #23
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

correct. any decision that hasn't been made public - even if the court had decided and opinions were 99% finished being written - Scalia's vote is now void.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 12:23 PM   #24
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence Thomas
Holy Shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post

Clarence Thomas Asked His First Question in 10 Years
Old 02-29-2016, 12:27 PM   #25
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I bet he was using the Ouija board and asked the question on behalf of Scalia.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 01:10 PM   #26
QuikSand
lolzcat

Nice twist. Who had the under?
Old 02-29-2016, 01:12 PM   #27
larrymcg421
Head Coach

If that was a PredictIt market, many people would've just made 100x on their money.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 02:59 AM   #28
vex
Grizzled Veteran

GMU law school renaming after Antonin Scalia hits snag - CNNPolitics.com

vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 06:11 AM   #29
Dutch
"Dutch"

Oh perfect, the Onion bought CNN.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 06:42 AM   #30
Peregrine
Pro Starter

But #ASSlaw is so catchy!
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:22 PM   #31
corbes
College Benchwarmer

I think they're missing out on marketing and merchandise opportunities by backing off the ASSLAW moniker.
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:26 AM   #32
digamma
Torchbearer

At ASSLAW, no one worries about being at the bottom of the class.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:05 PM   #33
SackAttack
Head Coach

See, my first reaction when the 'issue' with the name came up was 'I don't know, I think ASSoL might be a little on the nose.'

I hadn't even considered the hashtag angle.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 02:09 PM   #34
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote