Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-04-2016, 08:08 PM   #1
Thomkal
Head Coach

2016 TV Thread

Well guess its time to start a new thread here.

MTV, yes MTV, has a new show starting tomorrow based on Terry Brooks, Shannara series. expect lots of teenage sex I guess:

The Shannara Chronicles | Season 1 Episodes (TV Series) | MTV

Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 09:03 PM   #2
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Really looking forward to Billions and Westworld.

Not sure whether or not to get Hulu but loved 11-22-63 and really would like to check it out.

Taboo also sounds promising.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 09:08 PM   #3
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I loved the book 11-22-63 but not sure how a TV show based on it would turn out. Might be worth a watch.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 09:12 PM   #4
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I loved the book 11-22-63 but not sure how a TV show based on it would turn out. Might be worth a watch.

James Franco plays the lead. (Not sure if that makes it better or worse )

I've already been considering Hulu for The Man in the High Castle but haven't cared much for the adaptations of Dick's books outside of Blade Runner.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:14 PM   #5
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Think you mean Amazon Prime for Man in the High Castle - totally great show though.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:17 PM   #6
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Think you mean Amazon Prime for Man in the High Castle - totally great show though.

Yeah you are right. Guess that rules that one out, heh.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:33 PM   #7
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

So about Amazon prime... Is there no other way to watch their exclusives then subscribe? My wife is a secondary prime member where we get the free shipping from her mom but not the video. $100 or whatever a year isn't worth it for just the show but it seems odd that they would offer no other way to watch it either. (At least with Netflix or Hulu you could subscribe for a few months at $10-20) I guess it will be out on DVD maybe at some point?
Old 01-11-2016, 02:35 PM   #8
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Pretty sure you can straight buy it but not sure how expensive it is.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:38 PM   #9
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Pretty sure you can straight buy it but not sure how expensive it is.

Yeah I looked this morning to see if that was possible and the only option seemed to be Amazon prime. Have about 4-5 other shows going right now anyways but the thought passed in my head to see how much it would cost to add it to my "queue".
Old 01-11-2016, 02:39 PM   #10
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, it seems like you can buy each episode or (maybe) as a full season as you'd purchase any other show on Amazon Instant Video.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:40 PM   #11
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Yeah I looked this morning to see if that was possible and the only option seemed to be Amazon prime. Have about 4-5 other shows going right now anyways but the thought passed in my head to see how much it would cost to add it to my "queue".

My Amazon has a "More Purchase Options" click on you can do on the page for a Prime show. Try that.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:41 PM   #12
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Oh wait.. that was just for Season 1 of Mozart in the Jungle... maybe you have to wait until a show gets to "selling" date... it's like its DVD date or something.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:55 PM   #13
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Oh wait.. that was just for Season 1 of Mozart in the Jungle... maybe you have to wait until a show gets to "selling" date... it's like its DVD date or something.

Yeah I guess it is a selling point of prime for now and then a way to make money a different way later on.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:01 PM   #14
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Just do a 1 month free trial and watch
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 03:38 PM   #15
whomario
Pro Starter

Man in the High Castle is awesome. As for other options: There aren´t any and likely won´t be for a while as Amazon is using their shows as a selling point to their prime service. Overall, i think the 100 bucks are not all that much, but get why there´s little incentive if you have another streaming service already (well, hence the need to try and expand exclusive content ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Well guess its time to start a new thread here.

MTV, yes MTV, has a new show starting tomorrow based on Terry Brooks, Shannara series. expect lots of teenage sex I guess:

The Shannara Chronicles | Season 1 Episodes (TV Series) | MTV

I actually watched the first 2 episodes the other day and while it was far from great, it was also not horrible. Admittedly i read the books a while back and never actually was that invested in them, so maybe i´m less harsh than others. (i do think that choosing the 2nd book is a good decision)

It is totally obvious from the get-go that this is an MTV series, if i had to describe the optics in one word i´d go with "pretty". The young actors are not horrible, but you know that´s not why they got the job. Manu Bennett (from Arrow) has a good presence (and sounds eerily like Sean Connery, which is always a plus).
They are also trying very hard to jump on the Dystopia train, although i actually think the "easter eggs" in the shape of famous landmarks and/or technological advancement now in ruins was kinda charming. It does not bother at all with tiny stuff like logic (in terms of space/time especially with apparently a single horse ride leading you from desert to the ocean via lush forrests) and felt rushed as heck. Just way too much going on in the first couple episodes, especially the 2nd, with a lot of it serving very little narrative purpose. And the dialogue is at times legitimately cringe-worthy (my favourite: "You know it to be true" ).

But both in terms of sounds and visually its worthwhile (shooting in Hobbitland, ähm New Zealand doesn´t hurt) and feels very "earnest" in that no one is trying to hide the fact that its a fantasy show doing fantasy things in a fantasy world. And if you suspend disbelieve a little (and maybe the need to compare with the books) i think it could turn out to be a fun show to watch as a change of pace at least.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 01-11-2016 at 03:50 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 12:43 AM   #16
RainMaker
General Manager

I just finished The Leftovers and that show is absolutely incredible.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 02:32 AM   #17
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I watched a few of the Leftovers when it first started then sort of left it- think I will pick it up again soon,
Old 01-14-2016, 11:00 AM   #18
Thomkal
Head Coach

Colony starts tonight on USA (which is why I couldn't find anything about it on SyFY's site ) It looks very intriguing. An alien force (which we know next to nothing about at the beginning) invades and builds massive walls around LA and the surrounding areas (a la Donald Trump I guess ) Communication is cut off with the rest of the world, so we won't know if they control Earth now. Resisters are captured and disappear. Some humans become sympathesizers. others will become resistors. Unfortunately Lori from The Walking Dead co-stars but Josh Holloway from Lost seems to be the main character.

Last edited by Thomkal : 01-14-2016 at 01:16 PM.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:14 PM   #19
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

"Will you make a wish? I think I may be a fraud."
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 02:12 PM   #20
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Watching season 2 of the Affair. Show is great.
Old 01-15-2016, 01:31 PM   #21
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Colony starts tonight on USA (which is why I couldn't find anything about it on SyFY's site ) It looks very intriguing. An alien force (which we know next to nothing about at the beginning) invades and builds massive walls around LA and the surrounding areas (a la Donald Trump I guess ) Communication is cut off with the rest of the world, so we won't know if they control Earth now. Resisters are captured and disappear. Some humans become sympathesizers. others will become resistors. Unfortunately Lori from The Walking Dead co-stars but Josh Holloway from Lost seems to be the main character.

Not a bad start I think. My one concern is that they will concentrate too much on this one family, and not enough on who the aliens are, and what kind of control they have on the rest of Earth. Why did they choose the LA area to wall off? Great job on the wall. like how they have drones to fly over it, and where do they go, and to whom? Also curious as to the fate of the missing son.
Old 01-15-2016, 01:59 PM   #22
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Lori from the Walking Dead is a show killer to me.
Old 01-15-2016, 07:18 PM   #23
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Really like the Shannara Chronicles so far. I read the books as a kid and will admit it is still one of my favorite series. This was really the first fantasy series I read which is probably why it holds a special place.

Last edited by cubboyroy1826 : 01-16-2016 at 03:24 PM.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 08:28 PM   #24
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

I have barely watched the show at all, but they still haven't killed her dumb ass off?

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 01-15-2016 at 08:28 PM.
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 05:17 PM   #25
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Watched the pilot to Billions during the free Showtime weekend. It stars Paul Giamatti, Damien Lewis, Tara from Sons of Anarchy and others. Really good.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:08 AM   #26
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:

honestly, I thought Josh Holloway was the bigger issue.
Old 01-19-2016, 01:17 PM   #27
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Watched the pilot to Billions during the free Showtime weekend. It stars Paul Giamatti, Damien Lewis, Tara from Sons of Anarchy and others. Really good.

Yes I enjoyed the pilot a lot. Glad they made the characters more nuanced so that Lewis isn't just an evil rich guy though he is likely headed that way. I don't know about you but it's hard to take Tara as anything other than a biker chick for me.
Old 01-22-2016, 02:16 PM   #28
Thomkal
Head Coach

So anybody see Legends of Tomorrow yet? Just watched it and it was okay. Already has one strike against it being a time travel story for me. Kind of lame they all fell for Rip Hunter's lies, but they don't exactly have a way of checking out his background story do they? Have to think there is a little more to Rip's reasons than just 7 characters that won't have much impact on the timeline-have to think there may be some other reasons they were chosen. Rip was kind of boring too.

Rest of the cast were okay, but clearly will need time to develop chemistry with each other. Seemed a bit forced on us at times-would like to see more conflict/differences between them. Funniest bit was when Prof Stein says he doesn't remember Atom as one of his students. Poor Ray.

anyone else's thoughts?
Old 01-22-2016, 11:23 PM   #29
thealmighty
Pro Starter

Black Sails starts a new season tomorrow on Starz if anyone watches it besides me.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:53 AM   #30
Thomkal
Head Coach

X-Files is back Sunday night for a 6 week run on Fox.

The X-Files review – reboot gets off to a stuttering start then gains momentum | Television & radio | The Guardian

spoilers in that article-I've not read it yet
Old 01-23-2016, 08:51 PM   #31
RainMaker
General Manager

Just saw the trailer for this and looked interesting. Little wary of network TV but this is definitely something I'll check out as I'm a big Zach Gilford fan.

THE FAMILY Season 1 TRAILER (2015) New ABC Series - YouTube
Old 01-23-2016, 09:16 PM   #32
Thomkal
Head Coach

freaky
Old 01-25-2016, 08:22 PM   #33
Scarecrow
College Prospect

Enjoying the Lucifer soundtrack; the show's not that bad either.
Old 01-28-2016, 04:03 PM   #34
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Just found out this is coming to TV in March. I've read several of the Hap and Leonard books, so I'm really anticipating seeing this brought to life.

http://www.sundance.tv/series/hap-and-leonard
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 11:21 PM   #35
RainMaker
General Manager

Fortitude is apparently on Amazon Prime now. Anyone seen it? Got some great reviews despite being on an unknown network.

Also still blown away by how good The Leftovers is. How is that show not bigger?
Old 01-30-2016, 01:03 AM   #36
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealmighty View Post
Black Sails starts a new season tomorrow on Starz if anyone watches it besides me.

I had actually never heard of this show (Starz and all) but started watching the first season online and it's pretty damned good.
Old 01-30-2016, 01:50 AM   #37
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
I had actually never heard of this show (Starz and all) but started watching the first season online and it's pretty damned good.

I feel like Black Sails improves significantly with a little time, so if you like it now it only gets better.

...I would hate to admit how long it took me to figure out that it's based around Long John Silver (and Captain Flint & Billy Bones, etc.) from Treasure Island.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 01-30-2016 at 01:51 AM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 02:45 AM   #38
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I feel like Black Sails improves significantly with a little time, so if you like it now it only gets better.

...I would hate to admit how long it took me to figure out that it's based around Long John Silver (and Captain Flint & Billy Bones, etc.) from Treasure Island.

Well it's a weird mix of real life historical pirates (Jack Rackham, Anne Bonny, Hornigold etc) and the fictional ones.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:44 AM   #39
Butter
Coordinator

Two thumbs up on FX's BASKETS. Worth it just for Louie Anderson alone, really.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:40 PM   #40
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

hey-

Spoiler
Old 02-26-2016, 07:07 AM   #41
PilotMan
Head Coach

Two episodes in and I'm hooked on 11/22/63 on Hulu.

I read the book and the telling of it so far is solid. Very entertaining.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 08:39 AM   #42
BYU 14
Coordinator

I am enjoying The Outsiders on WGN, kind of a 'Sons of Anarchy' meets 'Justified'.

They are doing a fairly good job building the characters at the moment, though some are pretty cliché. Definitely not a groundbreaking show, but it is different and entertaining. Weird watching Ryan Hurst (Opie) as somewhat wimpy after he was such a badass on SOA.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:39 AM   #43
whomario
Pro Starter

Anybody seen The Night Manager yet ? Have never read the novel, just watched the first 2 episodes with the rest sure to follow fast. Pretty impressive cast of course with Hiddleston and Laurie heading it up but also the usual incredible supporting british cast. Really liked the contrast in setting between the first episode (Arab spring in Egypt) and the second (lonely mountain resort in the Swiss Alpes), nice pacing as well and i generally enjoy these shorter series with a finished plot anyway.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
Old 03-28-2016, 05:23 PM   #44
Professor58
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Anybody seen The Night Manager yet ? Have never read the novel, just watched the first 2 episodes with the rest sure to follow fast. Pretty impressive cast of course with Hiddleston and Laurie heading it up but also the usual incredible supporting british cast. Really liked the contrast in setting between the first episode (Arab spring in Egypt) and the second (lonely mountain resort in the Swiss Alpes), nice pacing as well and i generally enjoy these shorter series with a finished plot anyway.

Wont air in the States until April 19th on AMC. Looking forward to see it.

OOTP: AFBL : Ohio
OOTP: CBL : London
OOTP : NPBL : California
OOTP : WBA : Los Angeles
Professor58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 06:17 PM   #45
whomario
Pro Starter

Ah, ill be careful not to spoil anything then (or tag it). Watched it on amazon, so for the people with Prime i can definitely recommend it. Ep 3 was a bit contrived, but nothing too bad.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:21 AM   #46
whomario
Pro Starter

Really liked it throughout, although the last episode is pushing it in terms of the required "suspension of disbelieve" and veers into "Camp" in a way. The talk of Hiddleston doing "his Bond audition" is pure bullshit. Aside from the title sequence and the flashy optics, this is decidedly not a TV-Bond. Hiddleston is absolutely brilliant though, especially whenever he is allowed to really dig into his "shakespearian" tendencies (hey, he played a kickass King Henry in The Hollow Crown series and a much applauded Coriolanus on stage), f.e. the Restaurant scene or the opening episode in Kairo. Terrific actor, hope he avoids stinkers like the Hank Williams biopic in the future.

Hugh Laurie gets his shining moment in the Turkey/Syria episode, but gets done a disservice in the final episode.

Anyway, series has his flaws but overall its 6 hours of character drived, yet fast-paced TV with absolutely stunning visuals. Highly recommended.

I also just saw the 2nd season of Bosch on Amazon. First season was prerry good but felt a bit empty at times, the second corrects that by upping the pace just a bit and having way fewer exposition scenes. Cast is awesome. Not just Welling as Bosch (smartly updated from the novel) but basically all roles are great. Fans of the Wire will find Lance Reddicks character pretty funny (he´s basically playing the same character, only after making rank) while Jamie Hector plays a convincing younger Partner to Bosch (also, Ziggy is in).

The plot is pretty good, i was especially impressed how it held my interest even after the initial reveal and showdown. Cinematography is impressive as well like it was in season 1, but makes even better use of the contrast between the "lightness" of California and the night scenes.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:07 AM   #47
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Love on Netflix was a funny, quirky show. It is about a relationship developing between two people whose lives are train-wrecks in different ways. Really enjoyed it.

Flaked got one episode and a pass. It wasn't funny at all. Maybe it would have gotten better, but there was just nothing likable about the episode to make me want to continue watching.

The Ranch was just weird. Ashton Kutcher, Danny Masterson and Sam Elliot all makes you want to watch. The show has a "Two and Half Men" feeling to it, which is very strange for a Netflix show. It has a freekin' laugh track. I mean, come on! Still, I watched the whole season and probably will watch it again just because of the cast. It isn't a great show by any stretch, though.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 04-05-2016 at 05:07 AM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:20 AM   #48
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Just found out this is coming to TV in March. I've read several of the Hap and Leonard books, so I'm really anticipating seeing this brought to life.

http://www.sundance.tv/series/hap-and-leonard

The season finale ran last night. It was a short 6 episode season. I enjoyed the series, it did a good job of telling the story that was in the first Hap and Leonard book, 'Savage Season'. Hopefully it does get picked up for a second season.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 11:29 AM   #49
stevew
Hall Of Famer

SMG to reprise her role from Cruel Intentions in a new NBC pilot. I am so totally game, even if it will perhaps be sanitized for network TV.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:51 PM   #50
TroyF
Coordinator

I just finished racing through The Man in the High Castle. Man, I loved that show. I know they are filming season 2. I'm all in. I need to read the book it is based on now.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote