Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-13-2015, 04:01 PM   #1
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Paris (And Now Mali)(And Now Orlando)

Paris attacks kill more than 120 people – as it happened | World news | The Guardian

Last edited by stevew : 06-12-2016 at 06:59 AM.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 04:03 PM   #2
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Was just coming over to post this myself.
WTH
Old 11-13-2015, 04:04 PM   #3
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Club has a 1500 person capacity so if they managed to take it completely the death toll could be staggering
Old 11-13-2015, 04:07 PM   #4
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

The explosion you can hear over the France-Germany football match is frighteningly loud.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 04:08 PM   #5
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Oh there's only about 60 hostages
Old 11-13-2015, 04:10 PM   #6
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I guess that's better than 1500, but still a lot of freaking people.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 04:11 PM   #7
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

French police say 26 dead between the attacks, hearing some media (not sure who, Sky maybe?) saying the number is at least 30
Old 11-13-2015, 04:12 PM   #8
whomario
Pro Starter

Just copying my post over to here ...

Sincerely hope i am jumping the gun here, but need to get this off my chest as its pretty sickening regardless. My sister is vacationing there actually, thankfully already checked in with me and went back to her hotel after it started.

Apparently, there have been at least one (possibly more) shootings in the city center, a (not officially confirmed) hostage situation involving over 60 people and 3 explosions as well. All while a soccer match between France and Germany is going on (the explosions could be clearly heard on the live broadcast over the crowd noise). Again, just feels like thats too much to be coincidental.

Actually, the stadium is now on lockdown and fans are waiting on the pitch.

Paris shooting: Several killed and injured after 'Kalashnikov and grenade attacks' across French capital - Telegraph
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 04:15 PM   #9
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Just copying my post over to here ...

Sincerely hope i am jumping the gun here, but need to get this off my chest as its pretty sickening regardless. My sister is vacationing there actually, thankfully already checked in with me and went back to her hotel after it started.

Glad she's okay, and glad that you know she's okay.
Old 11-13-2015, 04:20 PM   #10
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Oh there's only about 60 hostages

Now they are saying 100 hostages. About 30 people dead.
Old 11-13-2015, 04:21 PM   #11
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Glad she's okay, and glad that you know she's okay.

yeah, hail the invention of (cell) phones. I know even that its irrational (i mean, what´d be the odds) but still. And the fact she is actually shaken by it tells me a lot. From what she told me, the police (and even some army personell) were basically blanketing the city pretty rapidly.

35 dead reported now ...
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
Old 11-13-2015, 04:24 PM   #12
molson
General Manager

I've learned with these things that the early news can be understandably conflicting and/or inaccurate. There's a ton of chaos. But a reddit poster has complied the twitter and news reports and translated them into English, where necessary, with links. He's updating it in real time.

orion4321 comments on 'Shootings' reported in central Paris: Reports of shooting and casualties in central Paris

A few things:

-gas cannisters with nails and bolts were said to be detonated outside of the stadium
-Around 60 people said to be inside Bataclan concert hall in hostage situation
-Two Suicide attacks near stade de France
-The president of France was at the stadium at the time of the attacks
-French military deployed on the streets

Edit: This is an even more-quickly-updated live stream of relevant news and photos:

https://www.reddit.com/live/vwwnkuplwr9y

Last edited by molson : 11-13-2015 at 04:33 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 04:27 PM   #13
Dutch
"Dutch"

Fuck Terrorists.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 04:33 PM   #14
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

The hostage situation is puzzling. Are they actually trying to negotiate for their release? That doesn't seem to fit Al Queda or ISIS's MO.
Old 11-13-2015, 04:38 PM   #15
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
The hostage situation is puzzling. Are they actually trying to negotiate for their release? That doesn't seem to fit Al Queda or ISIS's MO.

Probably using it to get attention and some kind of message out eventually. Chances are those hostages will never be released unless the police storm the place.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 04:41 PM   #16
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:

from some reports (including what my sister heard on french radio) it might well be a siege ...

This is just sickening. How do you defend against this ? And to think that in some areas of the world, this sort of thing has been the normality for years (and centuries) now ...

Last edited by whomario : 11-13-2015 at 04:43 PM.
Old 11-13-2015, 04:49 PM   #17
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

the concert hall had a performance tonight from U.S. garage/blues rock band Eagles Of Death Metal. No word on their condition/situation so far.

Their touring lineup includes two members of Queens Of The Stone Age, one from A Perfect Circle, and the drummer from The Whigs (who lives here in Athens)

Eagles of Death Metal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

edit to add: one of the QOTSA members, eodm founding member Josh Homme, is not on the current tour.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-13-2015 at 04:59 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 04:53 PM   #18
Easy Mac

This is the fear, right? 9/11 was obviously horrible, but that's a once a generation kind of attack. This feels like the moment the west has been able to avoid on a large scale. Hopefully it's just a blip
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 04:54 PM   #19
JeeberD
General Manager

Oh my god...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 05:01 PM   #20
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Just heard Wolfie confirm the above
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 05:01 PM   #21
whomario
Pro Starter

Still new attacks being launched in seemingly random places all over the city (which further explains the "hostage" situation from a tactical standpoint) ... Ambulances now converging on the concert hall in numbers.

Last edited by whomario : 11-13-2015 at 05:03 PM.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:02 PM   #22
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

There's gonna be a HUGE backlash against all those refugees across all of Western Europe after today.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 05:05 PM   #23
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
There's gonna be a HUGE backlash against all those refugees across all of Western Europe after today.

I may be taking the unpopular side of this, but there probably should be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 05:06 PM   #24
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Which makes this ripe for a false flag attack honestly.

(Yes, I'm the staunchly anti-immigration guy, doesn't mean I'm not able to keep both eyes open)
Old 11-13-2015, 05:09 PM   #25
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

This just went down on my end. Anyone else still have access to it?

Quote:
Old 11-13-2015, 05:09 PM   #26
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:

which would be incredibly stupid. This is not a national or even a religious issue where the traditional strategies have significance. It´s a question of ideology, which knows no boundaries as it is.

French President Hollande just claimed that police and military are running targeted operations of their own now.

Last edited by whomario : 11-13-2015 at 05:10 PM.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:12 PM   #27
molson
General Manager

Quote:

I wonder if they'll killing them slowly, (1 at a time, as many reports say via texters inside) to try to lure police into an ambush.

Last edited by molson : 11-13-2015 at 05:13 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 05:16 PM   #28
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
I may be taking the unpopular side of this, but there probably should be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
which would be incredibly stupid. This is not a national or even a religious issue where the traditional strategies have significance. It´s a question of ideology, which knows no boundaries as it is.

French President Hollande just claimed that police and military are running targeted operations of their own now.

Let me clarify: I am not condoning people running out and attacking refugees. What needs to happen is for Western governments to understand what is really going on and not just allow anyone and everyone into the country. Especially those from areas where Westerners are despised. It's like fucking with the brakes on your car and then driving it.

Quote:

Last edited by RomaGoth : 11-13-2015 at 05:16 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-13-2015, 05:19 PM   #29
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I wonder if they'll killing them slowly, (1 at a time, as many reports say via texters inside) to try to lure police into an ambush.

Which is why i personally would never blame police or even the army to proceed carefully. Those are people as well and while they signed up to "protect and serve", you can´t just sent them to be slaughtered as well. I can´t imagine being in their shoes right now ... This truly is like 9/11.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:20 PM   #30
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Let me clarify: I am not condoning people running out and attacking refugees. What needs to happen is for Western governments to understand what is really going on and not just allow anyone and everyone into the country. Especially those from areas where Westerners are despised. It's like fucking with the brakes on your car and then driving it.

I'm betting 0 refugees were involved today
Old 11-13-2015, 05:29 PM   #31
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

It wouldn't make sense for refugees to be involved, as this is what refugees were running from in the first place.

However, many reports indicate that most of the people traveling across borders and seeking refugee status are not actually refugees. And a very high percentage of those traveling are single men aged 20-30. They could very well be part of this kind of attack.

What will probably change in Europe is more of an effort to address who is and who isn't a refugee.

This is terrible. It could very well happen in any western city, including the United States.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 05:32 PM   #32
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I'm betting 0 refugees were involved today

I guess we need to figure out who was really a refugee and who was just coming into France to kill the infidels.

Quote:
Old 11-13-2015, 05:32 PM   #33
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The figures from Lebanon are pretty telling. Of the 2m "refugees" they admitted, the internal estimates are that at least 2% have Jihadist ties.

That's 4,000 terrorists they just admitted.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:36 PM   #34
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
my French is rusty, but I think I just heard that the GIGN is currently trying to rescue the hostages
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 05:39 PM   #35
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post

However, many reports indicate that most of the people traveling across borders and seeking refugee status are not actually refugees. And a very high percentage of those traveling are single men aged 20-30. They could very well be part of this kind of attack.

This is a gross overestimation on both accounts, IMO. Some of the people propably aren´t, but saying it´s "most" is ludicrous if you have seen how those camps and preliminary housing look. There´s way easier ways to get into Europe (if you have the backing of what are well-equipped and funded organisations) than via a months-long track including being stopped and essentially put into emergency camps that it´s hard to imagine spending a day in, much less weeks.

Also, there are numerous legit reasons for 20-30 year old men to take that risk. Those are often the most outspoken and targeted, especially if they have an academic background. Heck, i am getting a dozen mails every week in my function as a member of out university faculties student-organisation of refugees trying to get information on how to continue their studies that they were forced to abandon.

Last edited by whomario : 11-13-2015 at 05:41 PM.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:41 PM   #36
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
my French is rusty, but I think I just heard that the GIGN is currently trying to rescue the hostages

Yea, trying to filter through the information.

[live] Paris Shootings Live Thread

Eight minutes ago this was posted on the reddit live thread

"We will no longer be reporting what's happening at the Bataclan. This is due to a gag request by French Police."

Outside of that reporters are far away from the theater and not much media chatter from the area. Sounds like they are/were moving in.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 05:41 PM   #37
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

Would make sense, would acoutn for the explosions being reported as well as the increase of gunfire.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:42 PM   #38
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Agence France-Presse
✔ @AFP

#BREAKING Police storm Paris concert hall where hostages held: security source
Old 11-13-2015, 05:43 PM   #39
whomario
Pro Starter

But maybe we should hold off on that particular discussion for a couple days ? I definitely will stop now because i´m not really in the right frame of mind for it at the moment, but am going to be happy to discuss it further at a later time.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:45 PM   #40
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Sickening, very sickening. Thoughts go out to everyone there.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 05:45 PM   #41
whomario
Pro Starter

This whole thing will definitely make me wary of crowds and major cities...
Old 11-13-2015, 05:47 PM   #42
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Word is that an arrest has taken place and the person has claimed to be from ISIS. With that said, take that with a grain of salt the way "news" comes out from these things early on.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 05:52 PM   #44
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

reports in the past couple of minutes of (apparent) hostages emerging from Bataclan, most walking with some on stretchers.

Also the live feed from the scene has reportedly just been cut at the request of the government.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:56 PM   #45
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
With that said, take that with a grain of salt the way "news" comes out from these things early on.

+1

All manner of groups are likely to try to claim responsibility.
Old 11-13-2015, 06:01 PM   #46
bob
College Starter

One of the down sides of cutting the cord is the lack of good news sources when things like this happen. CNN and FoxNews both require cable logins, but the BBC is streaming for free perfectly.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 06:13 PM   #47
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

BBC is reporting that there are "dozens" dead inside the concert hall.
Old 11-13-2015, 06:16 PM   #48
AlexB
Pro Starter

It's always been something I've never understood. If terrorists wanted a soft target, having walked down Wembley Way numerous times, it would be like shooting fish in a barrel. Sports events are seemingly easy targets if so inclined.

And from that, we should remember how much of a minority the extremists actually are - similar to flying in a plane: if something happens, things are serious, but the chances of something actually happening are minimal.

This is Paris, could be London, could be Birmingham, could be Manchester. Could be Berlin, Madrid, Rome... Knee jerk reaction is fuck em all. Considered response should probably be fuck the extremists, but how you distinguish until it's too late is becoming more difficult...

Last edited by AlexB : 11-13-2015 at 06:22 PM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 06:20 PM   #49
whomario
Pro Starter

A refugee camp of exclusively sudanese (!) refugees in Calais has apparently been set on fire.

I hate this world right now ...
Old 11-13-2015, 06:23 PM   #50
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
It's always been something I've never understood. If terrorists wanted a soft target, having walked down Wembley Way numerous times, it would be like shooting fish in a barrel. Sports events are seemingly easy targets if so inclined....

Yes, I've discussed this with Ben and others a number of times. Or in the US, a coordinated attack either on Friday night or Saturday afternoon at dozens of stadiums...scary thought.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote