Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-02-2015, 09:27 AM   #1
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Official 2015 College Football Week 10 thread

There will be three match-ups between AP Top 25 teams this weekend:

Florida State at Clemson
TCU at Oklahoma State
LSU at Alabama
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:50 AM   #2
Logan
Head Coach

Brian Kelly, keeping up with the insanity.

Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:46 AM   #3
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Is that a player or an assistant coach? If its a player I see it being an issue. If it's a coach the ref is likely going to flag your assistant coach coming over and barking at him. Not sure he had to grab him by the collar but I have helped with pee wee football and know not to say anything to the refs I would think an assistant would be smarter than that as well.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:47 AM   #4
bob
College Starter

Pretty sure that's the strength and conditioning coach.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:48 AM   #5
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa travels to Indiana. This is the game I have been worried about for a few weeks.
I really hope Iowa plays like they did in the 1st half against Maryland. Because if we play like the 2nd, Indiana will blow us out.

Go Hawks!!!

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:50 AM   #6
Kodos
Resident Alien

I hope Howard is back at 100%, or at least close to it. Our offense is very good when he and Sudfeld are healthy.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:52 AM   #7
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Pretty sure that's the strength and conditioning coach.

To me then it is a non issue. I'm guessing because Kelley is a bit of a chump is why it is an issue but that was a close game with national playoff implications. I don't blame Kelley forcibly removing one of his coaches from a disastrous flag.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:19 PM   #8
MacroGuru
Coordinator

BYU @ SJSU..

We need to win out to make even a hint of noise and get back in the Top 25. Right now, we are just barely on the outside looking in. This game, plus next week @ Arrowhead against Mizzou will help.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:38 PM   #9
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
To me then it is a non issue. I'm guessing because Kelley is a bit of a chump is why it is an issue but that was a close game with national playoff implications. I don't blame Kelley forcibly removing one of his coaches from a disastrous flag.

Brian Kelly Explains Why He Shoved One Of His Assistants

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 12:46 PM   #10
MrBug708
Head Coach

Angry McRedfaced
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 04:33 PM   #11
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post

I agree it is a non issue for me. However, it is noted that once again Brian Kelley is looking a bit out of control emotionally on the sidelines for the person who is supposed to be in charge.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 06:41 PM   #12
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I agree it is a non issue for me. However, it is noted that once again Brian Kelley is looking a bit out of control emotionally on the sidelines for the person who is supposed to be in charge.
Yep. He was correct to intervene. But he was set to 11 out of 10 when topping out at 7 would have been plenty sufficient. Intervene? Yes. Grab and shove him while in full rage mode? Err, no - take it down a couple notches.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 06:56 PM   #13
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Look emotional coaches are a good thing.
Out of control coaches are a bad thing.

In that moment Brian Kelly was out of control. Hard to tell a QB to remain calm and collected when his leader can't.

Look, I am an old school football guy. I played for a HS coach who would rip your face mask around while yelling and pelting your face with spittle. I love him like a father to this day.

But those days are over. Unfortunately. Its all about control and composure. Since its a private school I care less about it. If it were a public university then you have a legal obligation to uphold standards. Regardless of what we think about football. The sideline is his place of business. If a manager did that to an assistant manager he would be fired on the spot.

Does my post reflect that I'm conflicted?
Cause thats how I feel.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:15 PM   #14
miami_fan
Coordinator

CU, you are not the only one who is conflicted. I think all of us of a certain age had the hard ass coach that would do everything short of put a bullet in our ass to try to get the best of us. While I don't know what is going on on that staff, I have a feeling that he knew who he was dealing with and what he could get away with in that moment.

Let's put it this way. My impression from thousands of miles away is Brian Van Gorder is not getting that reaction in the same situation from Kelly.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:34 PM   #15
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
If a manager did that to an assistant manager he would be fired on the spot.

Which might be one reason (of many) a lot of assistant managers ain't worth a bucket of warm spit.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:40 PM   #16
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Which might be one reason (of many) a lot of assistant managers ain't worth a bucket of warm spit.

Any manager that would do that isn't worth a damn to anyone.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:52 PM   #17
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Any manager that would do that isn't worth a damn to anyone.

Meh. Situational. People respond to different motivations.

And anybody that doesn't understand that is worse than not worth a damn.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:56 PM   #18
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Meh. Situational. People respond to different motivations.

And anybody that doesn't understand that is worse than not worth a damn.

That's not motivation, that's being a psychopath.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:14 PM   #19
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
That's not motivation, that's being a psychopath.

If they produce the desired result, I give less than a fuck what you call it. Good management involves getting the result, sometimes fear is the greatest motivator (even better on occasion is simple shock value).

It's a world that's gotten far too soft, that this is even a discussion is evidence of that.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:34 PM   #20
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

This would be unacceptable for any employee at Notre Dame except coaches. That should embarrass the hell out of the admin.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:57 PM   #21
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
CU, you are not the only one who is conflicted. I think all of us of a certain age had the hard ass coach that would do everything short of put a bullet in our ass to try to get the best of us. While I don't know what is going on on that staff, I have a feeling that he knew who he was dealing with and what he could get away with in that moment.

Let's put it this way. My impression from thousands of miles away is Brian Van Gorder is not getting that reaction in the same situation from Kelly.

Even weirded watch the video closely.
Van Gorder is there, seemingly handling the situation when Kelly blows up. BVG looks at him like WTF, dude.

Jon think of it this way..in the military, putting your hands on a direct report for disciplinary reasons is a demotion, dating back to WWII times. They need leaders who THINK not REACT in the heat of battle. Same goes for football I think.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:08 PM   #22
cuervo72
Head Coach

Heh, was catching up on old Jeopardy! eps today and there was a question related to that.

George S. Patton slapping incidents - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by cuervo72 : 11-02-2015 at 11:08 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:49 PM   #23
Suicane75
Coordinator

I've watched that like 10 times now and I don't get why it's even an issue. I'd blow a fucking gasket too if an underling who had no business doing so, cost me penalty in a tight game where your already slim National Title hopes are on the line. I'd be fucking livid if I saw that and I think most rational people would too.

A Coach has enough on his mind without turning around to see a manager jaw jacking with a referee.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 06:15 PM   #24
tarcone
Coordinator

I'm tired of these ESPN talking heads.some dude is surprised Iowa is ranked higher than Memphis. And he said "That 10-6 win over Wisconsin was impressive." Of course he said nothing about the 40-10 win over #22 northwestern.

And Alabama #4? Are you kidding me?

One thing I don't like about college football is the bias towards traditional powers.

Old 11-03-2015, 07:14 PM   #25
tarcone
Coordinator

EDIT: In response to Talk toyour kids about an undefeated Iowa. This is good. You will enjoy it.

Last edited by tarcone : 11-03-2015 at 07:22 PM.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:19 PM   #26
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post

And Alabama #4? Are you kidding me?

Did you really expect them to be ranked any lower?
Old 11-03-2015, 07:24 PM   #27
tarcone
Coordinator

See the video I just posted.

Old 11-03-2015, 08:25 PM   #28
Suicane75
Coordinator

Those rankings are an unmitigated joke.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:45 PM   #29
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Memphis should be ranked ahead of Iowa.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:48 PM   #30
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
Memphis should be ranked ahead of Iowa.

Old 11-03-2015, 10:09 PM   #31
Suicane75
Coordinator

At some point they're just going to have to go a power 4 and make it automatic by winning your Conference. Having Ohio State ahead of Iowa is ridiculous, given the resumes so far.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:21 PM   #32
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post

Iowa's schedule is charmin soft.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:23 PM   #33
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
At some point they're just going to have to go a power 4 and make it automatic by winning your Conference. Having Ohio State ahead of Iowa is ridiculous, given the resumes so far.

So virtually all the computers are biased as well, including pretty much all the best known ones? There are three teams with a loss ahead of Iowa, much less various unbeatens.

College Football Ranking Composite
Old 11-03-2015, 10:25 PM   #34
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
Iowa's schedule is charmin soft.

In fairness to Iowa though the same can be said thus far for quite a few of the unbeatens. Sagarin for example has Iowa at 47 in SOS but that' better than the SOS to date of all the remaining unbeatens except Clemson & LSU.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:47 PM   #35
Suicane75
Coordinator

Iowa has beaten Pitt, Wisconsin and Northwestern. Ohio States best wins are Northern Illinois, Penn State and Virginia Tech. The computers can eat me.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:12 AM   #36
tarcone
Coordinator

Jeff Long used this statement when asked why Alabama is 7 spots ahead of Florida "Alabama has more wins against teams with above 500 records than Florida does. Alabama has 3 wins against above 500 teams while Florida has 2."

Oh yeah, Iowa has 3 wins against teams with above 500 records too. And is undefeated.

And speaking of Charmin soft, look at Baylors schedule.

Come with better arguments please.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:46 AM   #37
Logan
Head Coach

I saw an AP writer say that he suggested to Jeff Long, before this began, that the committee should just come out and say "we think this team is better" instead of trying to back into all these other explanations.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 10:28 AM   #38
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Tarcone:

As a fan of a similar program to Iowa (Mizzou) enjoy the season and don't spend your time beating your head against the wall about perceived slights. It's nothing about Iowa to these committees the big boys (Bama, Ohio State, Notre Dame) are always going to get the benefit of the doubt. If Iowa wins out they will have won a major conference and beaten either OSU or Mich St and won't be left out of the 4 team playoff.

I speak from experiance as I spent the entire 2007 wondering why not Mizzou and finally they basically had a play-in to the national title that they crapped themselves in. So in 2013 when Mizzou had a similar season I just enjoyed it and at the end of the day had they beat Auburn they would have made the national title game but instead of going to Ohio State boards and flaming I just enjoyed a great season. They were two special seasons that might not happen again ever. So enjoy this season and don't worry about Bama or LSU or the Big 12 teams. They all play each other at some point so as long as your keep winning they will knock each other out. And if you do match up against Bama it makes it all the sweeter to knock them off.

Last edited by panerd : 11-04-2015 at 10:31 AM.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:32 AM   #39
Kodos
Resident Alien

Besides, Indiana is going to silence the Hawkeyes this weekend anyhow. Right? Who's with me?!
Old 11-04-2015, 10:42 AM   #40
tarcone
Coordinator

Panerd: Thanks. And I know. I am enjoying it. But when I see the absolute disrespect Iowa gets, I get a little fired up. But you are right, win out and it takes care of itself. Unless ND wins out and Clemson and Baylor and LSU. Then a 13-0 Iowa is doomed.

Kodos: You may be right. That Indiana team can score. If Iowa isn't ready, my dreams will only be Rosy.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:58 AM   #41
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Really cool for only the second time in my life to see my Tigers ranked #1. And since I was 3 the last time and not a Clemson fan at the time...it truly is a first time feeling.

Feel like we are a bit of a paper Tiger and if LSU wins this weekend they most likely jump us no matter what we do with FSU.

But either way I am enjoying it today, might not last long.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:00 AM   #42
digamma
Torchbearer

Clemson's the best team I've seen this year, and I feel like they haven't played their best game yet. (My honest feeling and not intended to be any sort of jinx.)
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 12:35 PM   #43
sooner333
College Starter

The explanations given by the committee should be taken with a grain of salt. At the end of the day it's a poll where they talk while voting. There is no consensus reason for any ranking.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 12:56 PM   #44
digamma
Torchbearer

Poll conspiracy theory: to generate ratings, the Committee is fashioning elimination games between teams who "would be in the playoff if the season ended today."

#2 vs. #4 this week.

In two weeks, OSU and MSU will mysteriously be in the top 4 together.

The following week, #3 TCU plays #4 Baylor.

Let's see...

[/tinfoil hat]
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 12:57 PM   #45
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
If Bama beats LSU, they are just gonna swap places in the poll.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 12:58 PM   #46
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Poll conspiracy theory: to generate ratings, the Committee is fashioning elimination games between teams who "would be in the playoff if the season ended today."

#2 vs. #4 this week.

In two weeks, OSU and MSU will mysteriously be in the top 4 together.

The following week, #3 TCU plays #4 Baylor.

Let's see...

[/tinfoil hat]

That was pretty much my take on the first two pairings as soon as I saw the initial release. They know it doesn't matter where teams are right now.
Old 11-04-2015, 01:00 PM   #47
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
If Bama beats LSU, they are just gonna swap places in the poll.

Eh, I think it'd take one hell of a close game for that to happen (especially if Bama loses). And in the case of an LSU win it might even take some glaring fifth-down sort of ref botch to keep Bama that high the following week with a second loss.
Old 11-04-2015, 01:01 PM   #48
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Really cool for only the second time in my life to see my Tigers ranked #1. And since I was 3 the last time and not a Clemson fan at the time...it truly is a first time feeling.

Feel like we are a bit of a paper Tiger and if LSU wins this weekend they most likely jump us no matter what we do with FSU.

But either way I am enjoying it today, might not last long.

Now you know how I felt when Coastal Carolina got to #1 for the the first time

Last edited by Thomkal : 11-04-2015 at 03:17 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 03:15 PM   #49
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I've watched that like 10 times now and I don't get why it's even an issue.

I'm with you, but for a different reason. It's Brian Kelly, we've known he's an angry little man for years. Agree/disagree with whether it's acceptable (I think it looks bad but doesn't cross the line) there's nothing new in that video, it just happened during a prime time game.

I also can't believe the committee is still trying to justify their rankings every week. There is no concrete formula or we wouldn't have you guys, and all giving reasons weekly does is ensure they'll be used against you down the line.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 03:38 PM   #50
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Let's do the playoffs the way my daughter's school does fundraising. Everybody raises as much money as possible and the top four teams get the playoff spots. The NCAA could pocket billions each year and the criteria for the playoffs is clear and transparent.