Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-21-2015, 05:41 AM   #1
Groundhog
Coordinator

NBA 2K16 Preview Thread

The news is a little old now, but in case anyone hasn't seen it - the 'story' mode will contain some form of college basketball. Yeah, it's not the return of the CH 2K title, but hey, it's a start.

I'm not overly enthusiastic about the whole scripted story mode in general, but this is enough to get my to play through it at least once.

Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 02:19 PM   #2
Kodos
Resident Alien

Baby steps...
Old 07-21-2015, 03:30 PM   #3
rjolley
College Starter

I'd love to see them make the All Star game in a different arena each year.

If they put College Hoops into the game, that would be a great thing.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 05:54 PM   #4
Groundhog
Coordinator

I imagine it will just be an NCAA Final game or maybe the Final Four... Still, going to be awesome to see college jerseys and hopefully arenas, even if it's just a taster...
Old 07-21-2015, 06:17 PM   #5
rjolley
College Starter

I'm hoping to be able to actually scout prospects in MyGM, maybe even play the game as the prospect's team. If it's just story mode, though, I agree, probably just the tourney or the Final Four.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:31 PM   #6
Groundhog
Coordinator

*dreaming* If they made deals with the individual teams or conferences, scrapped any NCAA references, and made no attempt to have players that bore any relation to real players, it could probably be done. Alas, I just don't think there's enough $$$ in it... */dreaming*
Old 07-21-2015, 11:33 PM   #7
korme
Go Reds

I imagine you'll be in a generic jersey
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 11:41 PM   #8
korme
Go Reds

Well I guess there are 10 teams licensed.

I'm most looking forward to "Improved Player Movement" - defensive movement could use work, I can't stay in front of anyone.

Also My League Online. Woohoo. Let's get some leagues together!
Old 07-22-2015, 12:00 AM   #9
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
I'm most looking forward to "Improved Player Movement" - defensive movement could use work, I can't stay in front of anyone.

Thought it was just me. My player always reacts a second too late allowing the other player to get to the basket. At the end of the day, I just try to outscore the other team and hope my other defensive players can pick up my slack.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:00 PM   #10
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

There is supposed to be a new blog out "in a few minutes" about MyGM, MyLeague, and other modes that is "going to floor" fans. Can't wait to read it!
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 02:06 PM   #11
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

NBA 2K16 Developer Blog - MyLEAGUE, MyLEAGUE Online, MyGM & More - Operation Sports
Old 08-19-2015, 02:23 PM   #12
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Wow... so many great features in there. Taking a bit to digest it all. Can't wait for this game to come out.

A few of my early favorites:

- The revamped team building logic sounds amazing.

- Much more control over progression/regression.

- The new salary cap options.

- The team relocation/rebranding seems like it has had a lot of thought put into it.

- The new simcast modes.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:26 PM   #13
Kodos
Resident Alien

I'm sold. Time to preorder.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:59 PM   #14
Groundhog
Coordinator

Holy shit. I love the relocation/rebranding write up. Just trying to work out who I'm going to rebuild and relocate in this year's game...
Old 08-20-2015, 12:42 AM   #15
rjolley
College Starter

Where's my wallet? I was on the fence about preordering, but the promise of the career modes is worth the investment.

Now, if they would only make the all star game move to a different city every year...(it doesn't move now, does it?)
Old 08-20-2015, 12:42 AM   #16
MrBug708
Head Coach

Is this a 15 year career mode? Or at least 30 years?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 01:04 AM   #17
bhlloy
Coordinator

Being able to jump in and out of sim mode into the game is absolutely epic. No more playing the last quarter of blowouts just because or simming games into the fourth and jumping in if its close because I don't have time or patience for a full game. Plus the new sim mode with coach control and no loading time...

Now if they can just fix progression and fine tune some of the logic in the GM mode, I can't think of many ways they could make this better
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 01:23 AM   #18
Groundhog
Coordinator

I believe it's unlimited years - or at least a lot? To be honest I'm not sure, but I've definitely gone more than 15 years in previous years.

I think I'm going to take over the Kings and relocate them to Seattle.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:25 AM   #19
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Now if they can just fix progression and fine tune some of the logic in the GM mode, I can't think of many ways they could make this better

Yeah, progression is really the one big thing left for me - guys just don't drop quickly enough as they age. That would be my only real complaint at this point...

Team's trying to rebuild is something I've wanted forever in a text sim, and now we get in a graphical game first.

Last edited by Groundhog : 08-20-2015 at 01:26 AM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 06:45 AM   #20
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

The last version had an 80 year career limit, so I imagine it is at least that many again.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:59 PM   #21
korme
Go Reds

I am so excited. Personally, I will definitely making a solo career trying to get a team to Cincinnati.

On a bigger note, the idea of online leagues is fantastic.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:02 PM   #22
korme
Go Reds

The build a jersey/arena stuff has a lot of nice tweaks. Not only will there be some great user created logos I imagine, I did see in a video that you can use old logos. So, you can bring back the Sonics for sure.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:39 AM   #23
Groundhog
Coordinator

NBA 2K16 adding another tweak that I've wanted in all my sims for a million years now - a '99 ovr' rating will no longer mean best in the league, but best of all time.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:35 AM   #24
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
NBA 2K16 adding another tweak that I've wanted in all my sims for a million years now - a '99 ovr' rating will no longer mean best in the league, but best of all time.

Yep and everyone will be graded against that scale in each individual skill. Interesting approach.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:06 PM   #25
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

New Blog out. I'm just about to read it now. This one is on gameplay improvements:

NBA 2K16 Gameplay Blog with Mike Wang - Operation Sports
Old 09-04-2015, 05:17 PM   #26
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Another blog out. I'm in awe of what this team is doing. Can't wait to buy this game!

NBA 2K16 Gameplay Blog With Da_Czar - Operation Sports
Old 09-04-2015, 05:41 PM   #27
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Some more info from a podcast down about the MyLeague/My GM modes:

•Per 100 poss stats are in
•For the normalize minutes option, you can normalize all stats if you don't play on 12 minute quarters
•Player and team hot streaks are mentioned in the Ticker
•In MyLeague Online, you can invite players into you league whenever you want
•You can randomize owner personalities in MyGM.
•Players and staff can give feedback on their decisions in MyGM (if they don't want to sign with you, they'll let you know why)
•VC and in-game money (I'll call it 'IGM') are separate things. IGM is accumulated through completing owner goals and can be used on things like your arena and relocation. When you buy the team, a part of the profits accrued in game is put towards your IGM.
•Owners can change goals (long term and short term) based on team situation (he will evaluate constantly during the season). As well, players can change ambitions.
•You can now override player retirements in MyLeague! In MyGM, you can convince them to not retire (example: Convincing Duncan to stay another year because you feel the roster has got a shot at a ring. Or even promising a staff possition the next year)
•Improved FA logic (won't have great players sitting in FA)
•Player turned coaches go by a system called the HOF rating. Things like win totals and rings are taken into account (hopefully this includes role players like Avery Johnson and Steve Kerr)
•Option to edit staff! this is huge! (offensive, defensive, training, and scouting attributes can be edited!)
•Can also edit team style in edit staff option (can choose what types of players will be targeted)
•When relocating, you don't need to keep the name of the city or team
•Owners that disapprove or are unsure of your relocation can be questioned
•Draft logic was looked at. Busts and steals have been included without crazy bad logic (assuming this means guys that are ranked low in the mock drafts won't be selected top 5 and vice versa)
•Draft prospects automation has been reworked. Beds (among others) helped out in ensuring that prospects were rated appropriately according to the new scale
•League talent balancing while simming many years was touched on (better ratio of talent among prospects)
•Accessory logic has been added to draft prospects!! (Higher probability for dual knee sleeves, and matching home/away colors etc. They've also used accessory data from the NBA to reflect on the draft classes. Unfortunately, headbands weren't confirmed or denied)
•Audio team has been working very hard

Edit to add: The salary cap will rise to next year's cap as well. Should be an interesting 1st offseason especially.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 09-04-2015 at 05:45 PM.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:57 PM   #28
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

It's funny, every year Madden is like check out all these improvements and I'm like, those sound great, I'm excited. And every year I'm like, meh, it's pretty much the same and they just changed the graphics.

Every year NBA 2K is like, we've done these subtle things to improve the experience and I'm like, ok, I might wait on the game, then I pick it up and all the changes are noticeable and impactful and I find myself wishing that Madden could follow suit. Reading the list of improvements it sounds like it's going to be another solid improvement from 2K.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 05:59 PM   #29
bhlloy
Coordinator

The stuff about AI isolation and attack is huge, in 2k15 I'd much rather play against Melo or Kobe than a decent three point shooter because stars just don't attack or try to score off the dribble hardly ever. I'd lose count of the times a star would be the third or fourth scorer on their team and someone like Jose Calderon would end up taking 20 shots.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:05 PM   #30
bhlloy
Coordinator

•You can randomize owner personalities in MyGM.

This is nice. I hated being limited choosing a team in MyGM because the owner sucked. The way I wanted to play (take over a bad team and improve), felt like I was really limited to one or two teams.

•Owners can change goals (long term and short term) based on team situation (he will evaluate constantly during the season). As well, players can change ambitions.

If this means they also have more realistic goals, huge addition. Both my Bucks and Magic games the owner told me I had to be first in the conference in my second year after seasons with losing records. Uh, ok?

•Improved FA logic (won't have great players sitting in FA)

Cool

•Draft logic was looked at. Busts and steals have been included without crazy bad logic (assuming this means guys that are ranked low in the mock drafts won't be selected top 5 and vice versa)

Very cool

•Draft prospects automation has been reworked. Beds (among others) helped out in ensuring that prospects were rated appropriately according to the new scale
•League talent balancing while simming many years was touched on (better ratio of talent among prospects)

More huge changes if done right.

myGM is already my favorite mode of any sports game ever. Really hoping they can pull these things off, as well as nerfing the progression we discussed earlier in the thread.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:07 PM   #31
Izulde
Head Coach

The relocation mode has made this an instant purchase for me. I'll finally be able to pursue my dream of having an NBA franchise in Las Vegas.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 04:53 PM   #32
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Another blog about gameplay. This game can't get here soon enough:

NBA 2K16 Gameplay Blog With Scott O'Gallagher - Operation Sports
Old 09-06-2015, 05:05 PM   #33
Groundhog
Coordinator

I was watching a video last night showing the new player motion animations, the foot-planting in particular. Holy crap does it look realistic.
Old 09-14-2015, 02:15 PM   #34
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'm not usually a fan of MyCareer, but there are some impressive improvements. They will have a detailed story and off day activities that are very varied. Here is a thread with video on OS about it:

NBA 2K16: MyCAREER NBA Details and Off-Day Simulator Video - Operation Sports Forums

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 09-14-2015 at 02:16 PM.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:46 PM   #35
SegRat
High School Varsity

I don't like basketball but that looks interesting.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:54 AM   #36
Antmeister
Pro Starter

I shouldn't have read this thread. I spend way too many hours playing NBA2K each year. My Steam hours on this game alone are ridiculous. I was hoping to skip a year or at least wait until the season is over, but never manage to do so.

Damn you all for starting this thread.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:23 AM   #37
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Really looking forward to being the next Frequency Vibrations. LOL.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 08:01 PM   #38
Groundhog
Coordinator

I opted for Steam this year, given how amazing Metal Gear Solid looks with my graphics card.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:06 PM   #39
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Most games I go PC, but I am going for the big screen for this one. I can't wait for the 25th!
Old 09-16-2015, 09:13 PM   #40
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Haven't played a 2K game in quite awhile, but this does look quite nice. Is this a game that is a direct port to PC or is it a neutered version. I don't have a newer console.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:19 PM   #41
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Haven't played a 2K game in quite awhile, but this does look quite nice. Is this a game that is a direct port to PC or is it a neutered version. I don't have a newer console.

Last year's was a direct PC port and I'm pretty sure this year's is as well.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:46 PM   #42
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

I tried the NBA Live 2016 demo on PS4. It's just subpar compared to 2K. Deleted it after one game.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:26 AM   #43
Groundhog
Coordinator

This might be old news, but I just discovered 2K16 is up for preload on Steam.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:13 AM   #44
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
This might be old news, but I just discovered 2K16 is up for preload on Steam.

Ditto for the PSN and Xbox Live.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:29 PM   #45
Groundhog
Coordinator

Today is the day........ A bit annoyed that I have drinks tonight for a friend's birthday.......
Old 09-24-2015, 08:54 PM   #46
korme
Go Reds

Just realized it didn't auto-download because my HDD was nearly full. Just cleared out space and started downloading, but I'm going to be 2-3 hours behind when I could start, bummer!
Old 09-24-2015, 09:01 PM   #47
rjolley
College Starter

Anyone know why Best Buy isn't offering the PC version for preorder online? Have a rewards certificate that I'd like to use...
Old 09-25-2015, 07:58 AM   #48
korme
Go Reds

Regretting the digital download. After downloading the game completely around 130 am, it started copying game data? It's now 9 am and I have 12.4 of 39.9 GB copied, with 19 hours left. Until then, I can only play the demo/intro game. What was the point of pre-ordering if it's going to take over 24 hours to play?
Old 09-25-2015, 08:31 AM   #49
Balldog
Pro Rookie

I was able to preload. Unfortunately I won't really get to play until late tonight. I did sneak in a couple quick quarters this morning before work and the improvements are quite impressive.

In the Madden thread someone was referring to Coach Mode in NBA 2k, how do I activate that?
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:56 AM   #50
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quick question:

So, in the old NBA 2K games (not sure which one, the one with Jordan on the cover, like 2K12? 2K11?) you could play the Association mode and have multiple people play at the same time.

With NBA 2K15 that wasn't possible. Association mode was single player only, so even if two people wanted to play on the same team or against each other in that mode, it wouldn't work.

Is NBA 2K16 any different?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote