Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-15-2015, 06:17 AM   #1
Flasch186
Coordinator

Amazon Prime Day

Anything good?

Im having a hard time figuring out what is what and what's a good deal and exclusive anyways.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 07-15-2015 at 06:18 AM.
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 07:15 AM   #2
bob
College Starter

So far looks like mostly crap to me unless you were looking to buy a Kindle. For all they promoted this, I don't see anything else of note.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 07:29 AM   #3
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
So far looks like mostly crap to me unless you were looking to buy a Kindle. For all they promoted this, I don't see anything else of note.

Scrolled through the items and it looks like you're okay if looking for an iPhone 6 case, a watch or a USB charger... Nothing that made me take a second look.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:13 AM   #4
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Yeah, I didn't notice anything great, except for the Amazon Kindle that no one wants. Also, can't listen to any Prime music to enter the $25k contest as it seems the servers are overloaded.

Incoming Amazon backlash...
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:42 AM   #5
Grover
Pro Starter

Deals will ramp up through the day.

You don't open with your strongest material in something like this.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner

Last edited by Grover : 07-15-2015 at 08:42 AM.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:45 AM   #6
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I did buy a HD7 Kindle as I left mine on a plane about 6 weeks ago and need to replace it. Saving at least $60 for me was a plus.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:48 AM   #7
muns
Pro Starter

I just got a new desktop, and was hoping to snag a monitor and a decent set of speakers today. Not impressed yet. The first monitor was only 20 bucks off what they were selling it for in the first place.
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:00 AM   #8
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Yeah same here. Though I hope Grover is right, ramping up of deals would make it worthwhile.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:02 AM   #9
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Yeah same here. Though I hope Grover is right, ramping up of deals would make it worthwhile.

That may be true, but you can already look at the upcoming deals, and those are crap too. So unless they have some that they aren't showing yet, which seems kinda dumb since lots of people won't come back, this was a great publicity stunt.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:18 AM   #10
MrBug708
Head Coach

Some good deals, just depends on what you need. I ended up buying a 9 pack of 80 baby wipes for like 5 dollars.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:24 AM   #11
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post

Yeah, I don't know, I'd lead with my best. I stopped checking the site altogether because of the garbage. If there were some interesting things scattered in there I probably would be checking it as the day progressed.

But I'm not bothering.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:28 AM   #12
bob
College Starter

Seems like a wasted opportunity to highlight some of the other benefits of Prime - everyone knows about the "free" shipping and the video benefits. But how about Amazon music, Kindle lending library and Kindle First, Kindle singles, etc.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:44 AM   #13
bob
College Starter

Also, thanks for the heads up on the baby wipes.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:45 AM   #14
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Some good deals, just depends on what you need. I ended up buying a 9 pack of 80 baby wipes for like 5 dollars.

Ya I'd say that was a steal there.

I just picked up a 24inch monitor for 99 bucks. 106 with taxes, which isn't shabby at all
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 12:56 PM   #15
Ragone
Pro Rookie

I got the fire tv stick for 24 bucks... Liked the chromecast.. but never was impressed with how slow it was.. apparently this one is much better..
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 01:10 PM   #16
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone View Post
I got the fire tv stick for 24 bucks... Liked the chromecast.. but never was impressed with how slow it was.. apparently this one is much better..

They had a 2-day sale last year where they were selling it for $19.99. Still not bad at $24.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 01:12 PM   #17
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post

If I was Amazon, I'd open strong. Best way to get buzz going online. Right now the buzz is that Prime Day sucks.

It seems most of the sales are just leftover crap they're trying to unload. Maybe that's what they're going for but not something that would make me want to be a Prime member.
Old 07-15-2015, 01:17 PM   #18
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

The other thing they could be going for is dropping some amazing deals in the middle and end (right now they seem to be selling some Blu-rays and games at discounts) and then those folks go online telling about amazing deals and the people who dropped out early go "Oh man, I can't believe I didn't keep looking". Kind of like the idea behind Woot's Woot-Off.
Old 07-15-2015, 02:29 PM   #19
Peregrine
Pro Starter

50 bucks off an Echo could be a good deal if you wanted one. A friend has one and I have to admit they're pretty cool.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:47 PM   #20
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
50 bucks off an Echo could be a good deal if you wanted one. A friend has one and I have to admit they're pretty cool.

I'm pretty sure that its sold out at this point.
Old 07-15-2015, 02:52 PM   #21
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
Anything good?
Nope.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:55 PM   #22
Subby
lolzcat

Sorry. Stand corrected.

Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

Last edited by Subby : 07-15-2015 at 03:27 PM.
Old 07-15-2015, 02:58 PM   #23
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 03:02 PM   #24
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Someone on another forum was talking about jailbreaking his FireTV with software(whatever XBMC is called) and getting a bunch of free content that is "legal because it's cached overseas and never downloaded and the copyright cant be enforced" I'm kinda doubting he's right.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 03:03 PM   #25
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I got a little fortunate with a few prime purchases. The best was the Fitbit Charge HR: Amazon.com: Fitbit Charge HR Wireless Activity Wristband, Black, Large: Health & Personal Care

It was pricematched to $117 because of the Wallmart sale (for about an hour). So, I added that to my cart and used the code "PRI20ARC" ($20 off a $100 purchase if you use your amazon rewards visa today). That knocked it to $98 and then I will get a $25 amazon credit once it ships. My wife has one and loves it so I figured this was the best price I would be getting.
Old 07-15-2015, 03:24 PM   #26
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Prime members have bought tens of thousands of Fire TV Sticks, 35,000 Lord of the Rings Blu-Ray sets, 28,000 Rubbermaid sets, and 4,000 Echos in 15 minutes. The Kate Spade purse was gone in less than a minute. The 1.2K of $999 TVs sold out in less than 10 minutes.
Amazon Prime Day Orders Outpace Black Friday - Fortune

Old 07-15-2015, 03:57 PM   #27
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

You pretty much know you've botched your big event when you don't even get to the end of the day before the dissatisfied customer stories hit the wire.

My Way News - Shoppers disappointed in much-hyped 'Prime Day' sales
Old 07-15-2015, 04:50 PM   #28
Arles
Grey Dog Software

It was pretty crazy for a lot of stuff. I tried to get in on a 32 GB flash drive deal. The second the lightning deal started, I clicked the item and tried to add the flash deal to my cart. Within that 2-3 seconds, it was sold out. That's a little silly to have that few items available for a fairly insignificant sale. I can't imagine trying to get a TV.
Old 07-15-2015, 05:04 PM   #29
bob
College Starter

Ok, found a good offer - pair of shoes I wanted that were $100 on Amazon (and rei, etc). So 100 - 30 (30% off fashion item) - 20 ($20 off a 100 purchase with using Amazon card) = 50.... That works
Old 07-15-2015, 05:05 PM   #30
bhlloy
Coordinator

Seems like 99% junk with the other 1% sold out immediately or buried under so much junk you couldn't find it. You would have thought with this much hype they could have planned it a lot better - it almost seems like they just wanted to shift as much garbage as they could, which is fine but not when you've been hyping it as better than Black Friday.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:29 PM   #31
BillJasper
Pro Starter

I didn't see anything that was such an awesome deal that I had to have it today.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:57 AM   #32
The Jackal
Coordinator

I guess it was a little underwhelming - there were some solid looking discounts on more expensive things that I didn't consider a need. I bought a couple of small things, and that $25k music sweepstakes made me realize that I should be listening to Prime stations, so that's a win.

I'm just a little bummed I never saw that $115 40" tv - I'd been looking for it all day and then finally saw it around 9pm in the "deal over" section of the deals of the day. I feel like they need to make a filter for deals that are over or have been fully claimed so that you don't have to sort through a hundred pages of stuff.
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 09:10 AM   #33
Grover
Pro Starter

the Amazon Fire Stick doesn't support HBO Now does it? Is that stille Apple-only?

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 09:21 AM   #34
bob
College Starter

I don't think it supports HBO Now but does support HBO Go.... or at least the Fire TV box does.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:38 AM   #35
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yep... HBO Now is still Apple only for now. Eventually they'll move to other devices, but no one knows when that is.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:49 AM   #36
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well, talk about speaking slightly too soon - this came out 30 mins ago:

HBO Now hits Android devices, coming soon to Chromecast and Fire TV

Quote:
If you own an Android phone or tablet, you can now access the standalone TV streaming option for $15 a month. You'll still have to wait to employ a Chromecast, Fire TV or Fire TV Stick to do your watching, though, but the service is said to arrive on those gadgets soon enough.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:14 AM   #37
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I don't think it supports HBO Now but does support HBO Go.... or at least the Fire TV box does.

I have a Fire TV stick and I get HBO Go.

Or at least it is an option to download.
I have not tried it I don't have an HBO sub.

United States Supreme Court Justice
Louis D. Brandeis

Last edited by Surtt : 07-16-2015 at 10:16 AM.
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 10:58 AM   #38
bob
College Starter

I should have stated that both Netflix and HBO Go work like crap on my Fire TV box, even though both work fine on my 1st generation Roku. Well, at least did until Roku just randomly disabled the HBO Go channel for no explicable reason, other than to try to get me to buy a new device from them.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:12 PM   #39
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
I guess it was a little underwhelming - there were some solid looking discounts on more expensive things that I didn't consider a need. I bought a couple of small things, and that $25k music sweepstakes made me realize that I should be listening to Prime stations, so that's a win.

I'm just a little bummed I never saw that $115 40" tv - I'd been looking for it all day and then finally saw it around 9pm in the "deal over" section of the deals of the day. I feel like they need to make a filter for deals that are over or have been fully claimed so that you don't have to sort through a hundred pages of stuff.

Yeah I was looking for it too, and never saw it. The 32" one was sold out.

I was also expecting big things, but nope.
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 03:21 PM   #40
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Prime Day 2016 is tomorrow! (7/12)
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 03:51 PM   #41
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

What's up with Prime? 2 day delivery has turned into 2 to 4 days and in some cases up to 7 days.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 04:06 PM   #42
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammaticus View Post
What's up with Prime? 2 day delivery has turned into 2 to 4 days and in some cases up to 7 days.

My biggest gripe is with items that are marked as prime same day/2 day eligible via search but then display as taking longer (either because they are out of stock or some other reason) once you get to the final page before delivery. This has been happening more and more over the last few months and is really fricking annoying.

If I'm specifically searching for something with prime 1/2 day delivery, there's a reason for it. Don't tell me after I've gone all the way through the process that you can't fulfill that. Partly first world problems, but partly also a main reason I pay for prime in the first place.

I haven't had issues with prime delivery much (a couple of things arriving a day late which I didn't really care about) but then again, living in LA probably helps.

Last edited by bhlloy : 07-11-2016 at 04:07 PM.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 04:13 PM   #43
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Yeah I've been souring a bit on Prime lately. I mean it's still worth it but the basic things I used it for are getting worse and more expensive. They seem to be putting money into the things I don't care about like photo storage and video.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:34 AM   #44
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Yeah I've been souring a bit on Prime lately. I mean it's still worth it but the basic things I used it for are getting worse and more expensive. They seem to be putting money into the things I don't care about like photo storage and video.

Their cloud based services are how they make enough money where they can keep losing tons of money on virtually every retail item they sell.

If you get a shipping delay on something they've guaranteed within 2 days, just email them and they'll extend your Prime service for another month at no charge. It's no hassle.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:46 AM   #45
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

I still love Prime....use it all the time and have saved me a lot of time and money...Amazon has become my go to place for just about anything. As for the sale itself, the thing I don't like about it is the fact its so hard to really grasp what's on sale that's meaningful to me...just so much stuff.
SlyBelle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:52 AM   #46
Logan
Head Coach

I just picked up the cheap Fire tablet for $33. Our iPad has been slow as molasses and I almost bought this a couple weeks ago at $50 just to have a cheap, light way to watch Netflix and Prime...plus being able to download the Prime content for offline viewing was a major plus.

Last edited by Logan : 07-12-2016 at 07:54 AM.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:37 PM   #47
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I just picked up the cheap Fire tablet for $33. Our iPad has been slow as molasses and I almost bought this a couple weeks ago at $50 just to have a cheap, light way to watch Netflix and Prime...plus being able to download the Prime content for offline viewing was a major plus.

I'm tempted too. Do you have to use all Amazon products on it? Like can I use Chrome?
Old 07-13-2016, 07:30 AM   #48
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I'm tempted too. Do you have to use all Amazon products on it? Like can I use Chrome?

I think you can use Chrome by first installing another app.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:25 AM   #49
Logan
Head Coach

Loving this cheap tablet BTW. I spent $8 on a standup case and $10 on a 32 GB memory card for all the offline content I want to save. Installed Kodi on it. Endless streaming options while connected to wifi, plenty of space for movies/TV shows with the expandable storage while offline. All for about $50 with the Amazon discount. Complete steal.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:25 PM   #50
MrBug708
Head Coach

Starts tonight. Doesn't seem like much hype over it this year..
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote