Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-10-2015, 08:06 AM   #1
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Console Coach Mode Thread

I have just discovered the joy of coach mode in console games. I thought this could be a thread where we discuss our favorite coach mode games, new coach mode games and share slider settings etc.

LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:13 AM   #2
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

The games that I am playing right now are NCAA 14 for the 360 and NBA 2k13 on the PC.

I am struck by how immersive both games are. On NCAA 14 I play at 9 minute quarters with these sliders NCAA Football 14 Legacy Coach Mode Sliders - Operation Sports Forums The game takes about an hour to play and the stats are pretty close to perfect. I am in my first year with Northwestern and am 5-1, the one loss being a blow out to Ohio State. I felt a bit discouraged in that game because there was nothing I could do on either side of the ball that was even remotely productive. So I am not sure how I feel about being that outclassed by a better team. But I suppose that is realistic?

I wish NBA 2k13 allowed you more hands on coaching in middle of the game, but I am still enjoying my custom league coaching the 72 win bulls team. No Triangle offense sadly, but I have a bunch of post plays for Jordan that are working well. I manage the substitutions and the time outs. We will see if that is enough to keep me interested long term. The game takes a bit longer. 12 minute quarters and the game takes an hour and a half so I have set the season to be 14 games long.

These sliders seem to yield pretty decent results.

mkharsh33 NBA 2K13 - ALL-STAR Sliders - Operation Sports Forums

I noticed that without sliders the games tend to be a bit too high scoring.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:49 AM   #3
Kodos
Resident Alien

Ohio State should be blowing out Northwestern, so I think you're okay there.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:53 AM   #4
CraigSca
Pro Starter

How many years into your dynasty are you with Northwestern? I'd always heard one of the problems with NCAA is that all the teams become A's or A+'s because the recruited talent is far better than the year one talent.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:11 PM   #5
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

My favorite coach mode game is still Tecmo Super Bowl.. For baseball I guess I am still partial to the old Tony LaRussa and Microleague games. I have had some fun with NCAA 14 in that area as well, but being in all the NCAA leagues here on the site usually fills my console football quota enough that I don't have a ton of time for a coach mode dynasty.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 06:32 PM   #6
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
How many years into your dynasty are you with Northwestern? I'd always heard one of the problems with NCAA is that all the teams become A's or A+'s because the recruited talent is far better than the year one talent.

The problem is more player progression.
As far as OVR goes, almost every player will average a +5 OVR every year.

When the game starts there are mid 60s rated Sr.
However all recruits bottom floor at around 55.

So even a walk on bottom floor guy will be a 75 as a Sr.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:22 PM   #7
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Yeah I am in my first year with Northwestern so I don't know about the player progression issues, but I can't say I am surprised. Northwestern is rated as an 88 team , which maybe I could buy because they went 8-4 that year, but htey also were given an 87 defense which does not reflect real life at all. So players in general seem to be rated too high which could easily lead to a bunch of 99 rated teams in the future.

That is too bad if that is the case, but even if I only play the first season repeatedly, I feel like I have gotten my money's worth. What is really impressive to me is the different styles of play emulated. The computer calls a smart game based around its teams strengths and how I call my game. So for instance, I had been running a lot of blitzes and the computer countered by running a lot of screen passes so then I had to adjust. It is a fun cat and mouse game.

Also, with custom schedules and custom teams there is a lot of variety to doing just doing one year over and over again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
My favorite coach mode game is still Tecmo Super Bowl.. For baseball I guess I am still partial to the old Tony LaRussa and Microleague games. I have had some fun with NCAA 14 in that area as well, but being in all the NCAA leagues here on the site usually fills my console football quota enough that I don't have a ton of time for a coach mode dynasty.

I used to love those old games, but I just can't get over the lack of presentation anymore. Microleague was great, but it didn't feel like watching an actual broadcast. Tecmo Super Bowl was great, but it doesn't have a halftime show or a player of the game. I love how games now have highlight packages at the end of quarters too.

So with these new games, I really feel like I get the best of both worlds. I get to have fun with the new fancy graphics and I can still do old school coach mode because my hand eye coordination sucks.

Last edited by LastWhiteSoxFanStanding : 06-10-2015 at 10:24 PM.
Old 06-11-2015, 04:30 AM   #8
Balldog
Pro Rookie

College Hoops 2K8 has a pretty solid Coach Mode as well.

Coach Mode combined with a Career Legacy can be quite immersive!
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:26 AM   #9
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post
College Hoops 2K8 has a pretty solid Coach Mode as well.

Coach Mode combined with a Career Legacy can be quite immersive!

I heard you can create plays in that...how user friendly is it? And how smart does the cpu run the offense and defense? I would love to put in the plays that I had my middle school basketball team run
Old 06-11-2015, 10:06 PM   #10
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

College Hoops 2k8 is one of those games like Madden 09 for the OG XBox that is good enough and rare enough that its price has not really changed much since release.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:30 PM   #11
rjolley
College Starter

College Hoops...wish 2K would bring that series back.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 11:15 AM   #12
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

I really enjoy managing games in Franchise mode on MLB for PS4. Just wish the cpu gm and roster AI was better.
IlliniCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 06:23 AM   #13
Balldog
Pro Rookie

With regards to the Play Creator on CH2K8...
I haven't experimented with it for a few years but I remember it was very rigid. You basically go step by step of the play and tell the player to pass, set screens, etc
Unfortunately there isn't any option type ability.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 01:37 AM   #14
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Some updates on coach modes for the games I have played in the last 9 months or so.

Although NCAA 14 was a lot of fun, my team did get to be too highly rated by year 10 or 11. My team was 99 rated as were other teams, but somehow my 99 was better than theirs. I had a two year run where I was holding teams to 7 points or under a game. I do like to win, but that was even extreme for me. I do realize I could put in house rules for recruiting, but I am not a house rules kind of guy. I want no rules, just right.

I might return to NCAA 14 and just do season mode with different classic teams that I downloaded. Might be fun to try to with Otto Graham as Northwestern's qb. That could provide just the right amount of challenge in coach mode.

CH2k8 I liked way more in theory than practice. As was stated earlier, the play editor was a bit too rigid. I needed to create about 5 different plays to account for just some of the options in my read and react offense. This game was also too easy in coach mode. I was able to dominate with 3 star freshmen big men. I never even got to the tournament because the darn season was just too long. I suppose I could have shortened the length of the games, but then you lose a lot of strategy in terms of fouls or using your bench. I could have simmed some games, but I hate losing the integrity of my stats. I wish there was a way just to play conference games as a season. Oh well, I lost interest in the game after I was around 20-0.

_________

Madden 16. I think I will bump the Madden 16 thread. But so far I am loving coach mode in that and am hugely looking forward to Madden 17.