Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-03-2015, 01:10 PM   #1
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

quick tax question

I have a second job teaching as an adjunct at UNC Law. I don't have any expenses for the class, but I do commute there 13 times a year, about 40 miles round trip.

A colleague was telling me that I am allowed to deduct my mileage on my taxes because it is a "second job." I told him that I thought that one was not allowed to deduct commuting as a business expense (outside of things like pre-paid parking, etc.).

So, as always, I come to a football game message board for legal and financial advice. Is he crazy, or is this something I need to look into?

albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 01:17 PM   #2
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I have a second job teaching as an adjunct at UNC Law. I don't have any expenses for the class, but I do commute there 13 times a year, about 40 miles round trip.

A colleague was telling me that I am allowed to deduct my mileage on my taxes because it is a "second job." I told him that I thought that one was not allowed to deduct commuting as a business expense (outside of things like pre-paid parking, etc.).

So, as always, I come to a football game message board for legal and financial advice. Is he crazy, or is this something I need to look into?

Ooh, I would be interested in this one, too. I have a job that's closer to my place and a job that is further. The closer one is technically the second job, but can I reverse that?

That's assuming it turns out I can deduct my mileage for the second job at all.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 01:17 PM   #3
mckerney
Coordinator

Possibly what your colleague was thinking of.

Can I claim the mileage I drive going from one job to another?

Quote:
If you work at two places in one day, you can deduct the expense of getting from one workplace to the other. You can do this whether or not the jobs are for the same employer.

However, you must go directly from one location to the other to claim the deduction. If you don't, you can't deduct more than the amount it would have cost to go directly from the first location to the second.

You can't deduct your transportation expenses between your home and a second job on a day off from your main job.

Last edited by mckerney : 04-03-2015 at 01:19 PM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 01:18 PM   #4
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:

Last edited by mckerney : 04-03-2015 at 01:20 PM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 01:18 PM   #5
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It's like a $291-300 deduction @ 13*40*$.57 even if you can take it
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 01:21 PM   #6
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Okay, if that is correct, I worked on average three doubles per week all year. So about 156 double days. With 30 miles from one to the other, that is 4680 miles.

My car gets about 22 mpg, so that's about 213 gallons of gas. At an average price of around $3.20/gallon (guessing, but seems right for CA), that is $681.60.

All in all, not as much as I hoped. But I'll still take it.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:28 PM   #7
stevew
Hall Of Famer

standard decuction is .56/mile chief
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 01:39 PM   #8
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
standard decuction is .56/mile chief

Seriously? That's like $2000 deduction. Score!

Old 04-06-2015, 11:46 AM   #9
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
I have a second job teaching as an adjunct at UNC Law.

I should have taken one of your courses!

As for your mileage Q... ask Prof. Bryan? Seriously, I concur that you can deduct mileage between your places of work. Check out p. 14 of Pub. 463.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:52 AM   #10
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
I should have taken one of your courses!

As for your mileage Q... ask Prof. Bryan? Seriously, I concur that you can deduct mileage between your places of work. Check out p. 14 of Pub. 463.

Maybe you did. I am actually not listed in the course guide as Professor albionmoonlight
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 12:18 PM   #11
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Maybe you did. I am actually not listed in the course guide as Professor albionmoonlight

Right, dummies he's K PATCHEN, JD
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote