Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-09-2015, 10:26 AM   #1
Thomkal
Head Coach

2015 MMO Thread

Well they might as well just announce it now:

Elder Scrolls Online reportedly removed from retail shelves amid free-to-play rumours - PC Gamer

Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:31 AM   #2
Thomkal
Head Coach

And finally the admission:

The Elder Scrolls Online drops subscription - PC Gamer

I won't be paying $60 for the game, so I hope they have a price drop/sale soon. But I certainly would like to try the game out.

Last edited by Thomkal : 01-25-2015 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:14 PM   #3
Peregrine
Pro Starter

It's too bad to see this - ESO is a solid game with a great community - as we saw with LOTRO, the community is the first to suffer when a game goes F2P.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 03:10 AM   #4
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I just saw the funniest moment on Twitch with Elite:

Guy hunting bounties.. gets mad when he thinks someone stole one of his kills. The guy messaged the other commander going "That wasn't polite, CMDR..", and basically told him to explain himself (and/or back off) or he was going to do something about the kill-steal.

When the other CMDR didn't respond, he starts attacking..

Meanwhile in Twitch Chat, the other commander (who was one of the stream viewers) is frantically trying to get his attention.. because for some reason he can't reply in game. The whole chat is losing their shit laughing..

Just about when the other CMDR is dead, the guy finally reads twitch chat "Holy shit, that's you?" and breaks off the attack..

He then did the gentlemanly thing and covered him on his way out of the system to go get repaired.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:23 PM   #5
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I am looking for a new MMO or I will be rolling back to RIFT...any good suggestions?
Old 01-31-2015, 08:39 PM   #6
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
I am looking for a new MMO or I will be rolling back to RIFT...any good suggestions?

Not sure what you've played in the past so hard to recommend. I've personally gone back to Star Wars: TOR with some friends - not a new game by any means but I'm enjoying it. I always recommend someone take a look at The Secret World to see if it speaks to them - the combat system can be a bit lacking but the story and theme of the game is great.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:10 PM   #7
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post

How is Rift? I mostly solo but enjoy a group instance every once in a while.

I'm thinking of starting a new MMO or going back to Lord of the Rings Online and trying the Beorning class.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:04 PM   #8
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

If anyone is a Star Wars TOR subscriber and wants a vehicle from the recent Star Wars Celebration (and five codes to pass on to your friends) hit me up
Old 04-21-2015, 12:28 AM   #9
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
If anyone is a Star Wars TOR subscriber and wants a vehicle from the recent Star Wars Celebration (and five codes to pass on to your friends) hit me up

I had no idea how many games were not available on Mac. Just went to DL this and wasn't able to. What a bummer.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 01:25 PM   #10
Dreghorn2
n00b

I always suggest EVE Online when it comes to MMO recommendations.

Brilliant game.
Dreghorn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 04:38 PM   #11
Thomkal
Head Coach

New game in Beta that looks intriguing to me:

Skyforge - Become Đ God in this AAA Fantasy Sci-fi MMORPG

In Skyforge you start out as a immortal and work up your way to a God. Not implemented in the beta yet, but you will have followers that give you Faith and allow you to gain a Divine Form in the game, you will be much bigger than the other immortals and have special powers from the combination of classes you can choose to play. You can change classes at any time, and the game has a Skills map (much like another MMO I can't remember the name of right now) where sometimes you will have choices on which path to follow.

I have not played it yet-waiting to get into the beta, but I've watched MagicMan play through it for MMOBomb on Youtube, and it looks amazing.
Beta 3 has just started, go sign up for it if you want to try the game.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:31 PM   #12
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Interesting, I'll be following along. I like the idea of seamless class change, though I'm not so sure about the "no dedicated healing class" idea. And just because they don't have "levels" or "experience" only means people are going to find out what corresponds to those things (sounds like prestige and atlas progress, respectively) and use those as points of reference.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 10:42 PM   #13
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Thousands of gods gold-scamming and griefing each other - yeesh.
Old 05-16-2015, 01:56 PM   #14
Thomkal
Head Coach

And to no surprise...Wildstar going F2P?

WildStar Going F2P In August, According To Carbine Employee*– MMOBomb.com

Take this with a bit of doubt as it comes from a disgruntled employee on reddit. However on MMObomb's weekly video of MMO news, they show a graph where sales of Wildstar is clearly behind NCSoft's other products. I hope this ends once and for all subscription only at the start MMO's.Both Elder Scrolls Online, and now apparently Wildstar have gone F2P.

WoW is really the only game that has been successful with a subscription model. That's because is was the first of its kind really and because it was good. Neither Elder Scrolls or Wildstar have been given glowing reviews.
Old 05-16-2015, 01:59 PM   #15
cuervo72
Head Coach

Yeah, good thing NCSoft ditched City of Heroes to make room for WildStar.
Old 05-16-2015, 02:41 PM   #16
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Yeah, good thing NCSoft ditched City of Heroes to make room for WildStar.

You've been waiting a long time to say that haven't you?
Old 05-16-2015, 03:11 PM   #17
cuervo72
Head Coach

I just haven't thought about WildStar very often.

Wonder how that NA rollout of Blade and Soul is going...
Old 05-16-2015, 03:23 PM   #18
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

From that chart in the video they showed, it looked like it was doing ok, but I know nothing about the game, which is unusual for me
Old 05-16-2015, 04:55 PM   #19
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I really enjoyed WildStar, but it's all the same. Nothing new or exciting, just shiny packaging to make it feel slightly different. It was probably the most polished non-WoW MMO I've played, but looking back on things, that's not exactly saying much.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:42 PM   #20
Thomkal
Head Coach

A look at some MMO's that may (or may not) come out this year or into 2016.

Top Best Free MMO Games 2015~2016 | Upcoming MMO Games You Can’t Miss - YouTube
Old 05-27-2015, 06:15 PM   #21
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

20 man mythic is officially the death punch for WoW for me. Sad, I simply can't manage 17-20 other personalities when you remove the officers and add in alternates. Gave it a good go though, full cleared HM, US top 250 when we called it quits in BRF. Either I'm simply getting too old or expanding to 20 made us add too many people in the 18-22 range. I hope they have the sense to revert to 10 man mythic. I know raiding guilds are getting swallowed right and left right now. Never seen the raiding environment as poor as it is right now and I've been around since vanilla.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:00 PM   #22
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Which guild was yours?

Our guild was fully capable of mythic, but chose not to pursue it and just stick with heroic. We still didn't make it through BRF before calling it quits this time around. It wasn't too difficult...just too time consuming to recruit, plan, etc. We're all getting older and just don't care enough to put in the time.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:44 PM   #23
Thomkal
Head Coach

And the official word on Wildstar:

WildStar Is Going Free-to-Play! Here’s All You Need to Know | WildStar®

Sounds like it will start sometime this fall and there will be a beta

Price has been reduced to $19.99 which is much more reasonable than Elder Scroll

You can sign up for beta if you click the link towards the bottom "for more information about Wildstar,click here"

Last edited by Thomkal : 05-28-2015 at 03:51 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:00 PM   #24
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

I can answer that question now for you (went completely over my head sorry)

Blade & Soul is officially coming to NA and Europe, it's F2P!
Old 06-24-2015, 04:05 PM   #25
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
New game in Beta that looks intriguing to me:

Skyforge - Become Đ God in this AAA Fantasy Sci-fi MMORPG

In Skyforge you start out as a immortal and work up your way to a God. Not implemented in the beta yet, but you will have followers that give you Faith and allow you to gain a Divine Form in the game, you will be much bigger than the other immortals and have special powers from the combination of classes you can choose to play. You can change classes at any time, and the game has a Skills map (much like another MMO I can't remember the name of right now) where sometimes you will have choices on which path to follow.

I have not played it yet-waiting to get into the beta, but I've watched MagicMan play through it for MMOBomb on Youtube, and it looks amazing.
Beta 3 has just started, go sign up for it if you want to try the game.

They are on to Closed Beta 4 now, an Open Beta will probably take place in July. But for CB4, they gave out codes to players who bought one of their founders packs, so they could give them to friends or post them for others to use. Starting to give them out to MMO sites now too, but its been hard to get still. I finally got one today off a french site, but they are now out.

You can check this forum page on Skyforge's site:

Additional Beta Keys Now Available for Founder's Pack Owners! - Page 19 - News - Skyforge - Official Forum

to see who is offering codes-check the last page for the most recent offers. You have to create an account (my.com)-and maybe a profile page-that page is where you will have a link where you can redeem codes
Old 06-24-2015, 04:32 PM   #26
Thomkal
Head Coach

MMOhuts has almost 800 keys left. You will probably have to register there first:

Skyforge CBT 4 Beta Key Giveaway | MMOHuts
Old 06-24-2015, 05:03 PM   #27
Thomkal
Head Coach

Took over an hour to download and was just able to get in and start the tutorial-great graphics, nice story as how your character gets to this place of Immortals. Combat was a bit tough for me because I don't like to move and turn around, dodge etc. But it will be okay. Minor annoyance-they have voiceovers and for some reason subtitles with them-twice they don't match word to word. And they just throw you into the game-no commands explained, no clue how to move, etc. But I was impressed with what I saw so far.

Last edited by Thomkal : 06-24-2015 at 05:05 PM.
Old 06-24-2015, 05:18 PM   #28
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Thanks for this, I'll be checking it out.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:46 PM   #29
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Mouselook and click to attack are meh. The subtitles being completely out of whack with the voice acting is a bummer. Also a bummer is the graphical clipping and the fact that the lips aren't even approximating what is actually being said. I need much more time to be definitive, but so far not very impressed. I like the premise, and I'm intrigued to find out more, but my initial gameplay feelings are very meh.

Also, this is a beta, so there are bound to be problems, but I still feel like they should be a little more polished than this right before they open up the beta testing to the public.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:49 PM   #30
Thomkal
Head Coach

One thing I'm not liking. I've had to redo-two parts of my initial mission-telling my life story to the goddess right off he ship with all that combat-then again right after I designed and named my character
Old 06-25-2015, 12:01 AM   #31
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

That sounds pretty awful. I'm going to give it another shot, but I think I can already tell the combat is going to kill it for me.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:47 AM   #32
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Also, to do a little more 'splainin for those who don't know - Skyforge is using an FPS style mouselook - so your mouse movements shift your point of view constantly, not only while holding down a mouse button. You also click for your primary attack. So it's much more of an action RPG than a traditional MMO style of combat.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:46 AM   #33
cuervo72
Head Coach

It's not the game itself, but this is interesting at least:

Interview with the Team Bringing Back City of Heroes - MMOGames.com

(and yes, misleading title is misleading)

Last edited by cuervo72 : 06-27-2015 at 07:46 AM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 01:04 PM   #34
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Signed up for the beta for skyforge. We'll see.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 03:00 PM   #35
Thomkal
Head Coach

Today is the last day for the Beta. Open beta starts in July sometime
Old 06-29-2015, 09:48 PM   #36
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Has anyone tried Star Trek Online? I have been in a Trek mood lately and was wondering how the game looks and plays. Quit WoW quite a while ago and have been playing LOTRO which is still fun but grinding from 1-100 is getting stale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 01:38 PM   #37
Thomkal
Head Coach

Skyforge goes into open beta July 16! There will be no wipes, so basically the game starts then!

Skyforge Open Beta Begins July 16th! | Skyforge - Become Đ God in this AAA Fantasy Sci-fi MMORPG
Old 07-03-2015, 02:37 PM   #38
Thomkal
Head Coach

Stress Test for Skyforge July 7-24hrs.Anyone can play this day regardless of whether or not you have played in Beta before.

Join us for a Skyforge Stress Test on July 7th! | Skyforge - Become Đ God in this AAA Fantasy Sci-fi MMORPG
Old 07-07-2015, 02:30 AM   #39
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Anyone else playing Marvel Heroes? Not sure if it is an MMO or not but I started it up recently. Don't know a lot of the systems yet but it's pretty fun - just basically Diablo style play but with many superheroes/villains to choose from.
Old 08-18-2015, 12:42 PM   #40
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Any thoughts on Final Fantasy XIV? Is it worth investing one's time and money?
Old 08-18-2015, 01:00 PM   #41
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I've put in a lot of time. It's fun, but nothing spectacularly new or different from other MMO's. The music is fantastic, and the story is fairly interesting.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:05 PM   #42
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

The fact that you can level all the different classes on one character is somewhat intriguing - just switch weapons and you are a completely different class (and you don't lose your progress with the original class). Unfortunately, leveling alternate classes becomes rather grindy, as the majority of the experience you'll use to level up is quest XP, and you can't re-do quests you've already completed just because you're a different class now.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 08-18-2015 at 04:20 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:16 AM   #43
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Interesting experiment by Daybreak games

Everquest 2 to banish naughty players to "prison server" - PC Gamer
Old 08-29-2015, 08:46 PM   #44
Thomkal
Head Coach

This snuck up on me, but i haven't been playing it for a while:

Guild Wars 2 Is Free To Play Starting Today

Last edited by Thomkal : 08-29-2015 at 09:16 PM.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:15 AM   #45
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
And to no surprise...Wildstar going F2P?

WildStar Going F2P In August, According To Carbine Employee*– MMOBomb.com

Take this with a bit of doubt as it comes from a disgruntled employee on reddit. However on MMObomb's weekly video of MMO news, they show a graph where sales of Wildstar is clearly behind NCSoft's other products. I hope this ends once and for all subscription only at the start MMO's.Both Elder Scrolls Online, and now apparently Wildstar have gone F2P.

WoW is really the only game that has been successful with a subscription model. That's because is was the first of its kind really and because it was good. Neither Elder Scrolls or Wildstar have been given glowing reviews.

WildStar Free-to-Play Launches September 29 | WildStar®

I'm in the closed beta and the game is okay not great-It feels very linear (in the early levels at least) and doesn't do the best job at explaining how certain things work. I'm purposedly playing the "evil" side and classes (engineer) I won't play when it goes live, so that may be part of the reason I only think its okay
Old 09-03-2015, 10:01 AM   #46
cuervo72
Head Coach

Man, screw WildStar. NCSoft bastards!
Old 09-03-2015, 02:04 PM   #47
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

yeah, yeah. Guess I'm more forgiving than you (or just like MMO's too much to not give the "big" ones a try.)

Last edited by Thomkal : 09-03-2015 at 02:54 PM.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:47 PM   #48
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Agreed!

Whenever this thread gets bumped, especially when I see cuervo has posted in it, I get my hopes up for some CoH news (even though I am 99% sure it is never coming).

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 03:57 PM   #49
cuervo72
Head Coach

Yeah. I mean, it's been three years and a long time since there was even any movement on the buy-out front, so it keeps seeming more and more remote. But just the other day my son said "I wish I could play City of Heroes", and I still have those days as well. I've not played another MMO before or since, so it's not a matter of finding another MMO that is engaging. I just want that game.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:41 AM   #50
Grover
Pro Starter

Picked SWTOR back up and I'm enjoying it. Just got to Tatooine with a Sith Juggernaut. I kind of dislike that the 12x XP bonus is pushing me through the levels so fast, but I'm sticking with the crafting stuff for once.

Community seems decent. I'm enjoying myself.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote