Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-18-2014, 08:54 AM   #1
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Don't Use As Directed

This is one of those random thought threads that might go nowhere. This morning, while getting ready for work, I noticed that the box of Q-Tips said that they were not to be placed in the ear canal. And that to clean your ears, you should gently swab the outside. (I get the eardrum-damage-lawsuit-avoidance reasons they have to say that).

That got me thinking. I would estimate that almost everyone who uses Q-Tips uses them "incorrectly." They do put them in their ear canal, despite being told they should not.

Which got me thinking further--which products or services do people use where the vast majority of use is not officially encouraged (or even officially discouraged) by the manufacturer?

albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:57 AM   #2
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
This is one of those random thought threads that might go nowhere. This morning, while getting ready for work, I noticed that the box of Q-Tips said that they were not to be placed in the ear canal. And that to clean your ears, you should gently swab the outside. (I get the eardrum-damage-lawsuit-avoidance reasons they have to say that).

That got me thinking. I would estimate that almost everyone who uses Q-Tips uses them "incorrectly." They do put them in their ear canal, despite being told they should not.

Which got me thinking further--which products or services do people use where the vast majority of use is not officially encouraged (or even officially discouraged) by the manufacturer?

Phillies cigars.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 10:20 AM   #3
britrock88
Pro Starter

My thoughts went to all the diet-exercise programs that advise you to consult a doctor before undertaking, which surely rarely happens. Don't think that's a spot-on answer to your question, though.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 10:26 AM   #4
Butter
Coordinator

Ladders that say "don't use this part as a step". Or in my case, "weight limit 250 pounds". Yeah, right.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:00 AM   #5
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

My wife puts them in her ear canal.. and I tell her that's not what they are made for, it just pushes the wax further into your ear drum. She doesn't listen...
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:03 AM   #6
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
My wife puts them in her ear canal.. and I tell her that's not what they are made for, it just pushes the wax further into your ear drum. She doesn't listen...

Too much wax in her ears to hear you.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:04 AM   #7
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I don't repeat shampooing, just like they want you to use way too much toothpaste, there is no reason to use up shampoo 2x or 3x as fast. I guess that goes for any products which they encourage you not to be frugal.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:06 AM   #8
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 12:02 PM   #9
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Do not eat raw cookie dough.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 12:19 PM   #10
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

This would have been an amazing I'm With Stupid question.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 12:22 PM   #11
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 12:49 PM   #12
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

I've always wondered how East Asians use q-tips

"If you would describe yourself as white or black, your earwax is probably yellow and sticky. If you are East Asian or Native American, it’s likely to be dry and white."

What your earwax says about your ancestry | Science News
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 04:09 PM   #13
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Prilosec says it is for a 14-day treatment only but most acid reflux sufferers take it all the time. The 14-day treatment/warning is undermined by the fact that they sell both 28 and 42 day supplies.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 04:31 PM   #14
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

I've had this exact same thought inspired by Q-tips before. My second thought was also "use only for smoking tobacco" related.

I also get a kick out of Drake being an endorser for Sprite when he has been a pretty vocal proponent of using their product "incorrectly" by mixing it with promethazine-codeine cough syrup.

Last edited by nol : 12-18-2014 at 04:39 PM.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 04:40 PM   #15
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
Prilosec says it is for a 14-day treatment only but most acid reflux sufferers take it all the time. The 14-day treatment/warning is undermined by the fact that they sell both 28 and 42 day supplies.

I take it all the time. Is it bad to keep taking it?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 04:49 PM   #16
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AENeuman View Post
I've always wondered how East Asians use q-tips

"If you would describe yourself as white or black, your earwax is probably yellow and sticky. If you are East Asian or Native American, it’s likely to be dry and white."

What your earwax says about your ancestry | Science News

We mostly use ear picks.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:59 PM   #17
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post
I've had this exact same thought inspired by Q-tips before. My second thought was also "use only for smoking tobacco" related.

Dried herbal vaporizer.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:17 PM   #18
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

No it's fine. I take it too. Drs prescribe it all the time. You could add birth control pills to the same list. They can be taken back to back to back to prevent the monthly visitor. Sometimes insurance companies don't pay for all that, but it's completely safe to do. Again Drs have been prescribing it that way for years.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:46 PM   #19
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:

Been taking it daily for 11 years now.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 08:30 AM   #20
timmae
College Starter

Not quite on point but relevant... With the holidays coming up I will have multiple opportunities to enjoy open faced raw ground beef sandwiches. Basically white bread topped with raw ground beef and raw onions. I will only grab some if the ground beef was recently pulled out of the fridge but I know relatives who will enjoy after the stuff has been sitting out for what seems like hours. Certainly the FDA would frown upon this activity.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:51 AM   #21
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmae View Post
Not quite on point but relevant... With the holidays coming up I will have multiple opportunities to enjoy open faced raw ground beef sandwiches. Basically white bread topped with raw ground beef and raw onions. I will only grab some if the ground beef was recently pulled out of the fridge but I know relatives who will enjoy after the stuff has been sitting out for what seems like hours. Certainly the FDA would frown upon this activity.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:08 AM   #22
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmae View Post

That's nasty.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 09:23 AM   #23
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
I think that it was earlier this year that there was a study (or maybe more than one) that indicated a possible heart risk when using Proton Pump Inhibitor meds. I took Dexilant (Kapidex) for years, and it's stronger than Prilosec. This year I've changed my diet (a little) and sleep with my head/neck/shoulders a little elevated and that has eased my dependence on PPIs. I tried to quit completely, but that didn't work. Using Prilosec now (cheaper and otc) but only about three times a week. I wouldn't have worried about taking it all the time until I read that article (I think at Science Daily?). More research is probably needed regarding the long-term effects.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 09:51 AM   #24
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Pop Tart suggested serving size: 1 pastry.

Old 12-21-2014, 11:38 AM   #25
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Raw ground beef? That's nasty, unless you're grounding it yourself. I sorta understand Carpaccio, but ground beef, no way.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote