Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-08-2003, 02:02 AM   #1
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

WDYK - Soccer in America

WDYK - What do you know

This is one of my papers. I thought I would post it for everyone to see. It is real long. Just a reminder - USA plays Mexico tonight on ESPN2.

It is a game that is played all over the world with passion and intensity. It has a following that no other sport in the world can rival. It has rightfully earned the nickname “The Beautiful Game.” What is this magical sport? It is the sport of soccer. While soccer has by far the biggest following on the face of the earth, it has never really caught on to the same extent in the United States. In fact, it is not even considered to be in America’s “big four” of sports. To even mention soccer in the hallways of public places will cause controversy. There are those who actively support soccer and those who look down on soccer. There seems to be no middle ground. Why has soccer struggled to gain the top place in America’s sport’s landscape? Will soccer ever achieve the status in America that it has throughout the rest of the world? In order for soccer to do this, several key factors will have to fall into place. The United States Men’s National Team will have to continue to be successful, at least as successful as they were during the 2002 FIFA World Cup. Major League Soccer, the United States domestic league, will have to continue to produce top level talent, and the league will have to survive financially. Players from the United States also need to move abroad to play in European leagues, where leagues are far more competitive, to develop their skills to aid the United States Men’s National Team. Youth soccer will also play an important part of development of the game in America. Many believe the current structure of the youth soccer in the United States is flawed and many changes need to be made. In order for youth soccer to become better, coaches will have to emerge who can teach the game properly to children. Finally, we will look at a spectacular character by the name of Freddy Adu, a thirteen year old prodigy, who is expected to be the savior of American soccer. Will soccer ever make it big in America?
The United States Men’s National Team took the world by storm in the summer of 2002, by advancing all the way to the quarterfinals of the World Cup played in South Korea and Japan. The World Cup is the world’s top soccer event, where thirty-two nations square off for the right to call themselves champions of the world. The United States shocked the world when it defeated mighty Portugal, 3-2, in its opening game of the World Cup. The United States then tied host South Korea, 1-1. They then proceeded to drop a match to Poland, 3-1, but still managed to qualify out of group play. They advanced to the Round of Sixteen to meet their bitter rivals from south of the border, Mexico. The match started with Brian McBride scoring the first goal on a well placed strike to the left side of the keeper in the 8th minute. Young American starlet Landon Donovan added another to put the USA up two to nil and that is how the match would end. The United States advanced to the quarterfinal to play world power and overwhelming favorite Germany. The brave Americans battled throughout the match and even out played the Germans but dropped a tough decision, 1-0. The match was filled with controversy when referee Hugh Dallas missed a call in which many thought to be a handball on the goal line. If the call would have been made, the United States would have had a penalty; and the German player guilty of the crime would have been sent off, meaning the United States would have had eleven players on the field to Germany’s ten. However, the call was not made. "I know there was an incident in the game where the call was for a penalty to the USA when the ball hit the arm of a German player, without going into detail, as FIFA rules forbid me from speaking about specific incidents, I had a totally clear view. We are taught to judge these incidents by watching to see if the arm moves - and a foul can only be given if it is deliberate hand to ball and not ball to hand. If it's not intentional, it's not a foul, no matter where it is. Even in the debrief with the FIFA inspector where we went over the major incidents, he didn't have a problem with the way the game had been officiated,” referee Dallas explained (BBC News Online Edition). However, many disagree with the call. Grant Wahl, of Sports Illustrated said, “Referee Hugh Dallas failed to call a penalty following a clear German handball on the goal line.” Despite the loss, the United States 2002 was still a major success, earning the country respect and accolades from all over the world. Sean Wheelock, an online reporter for British-based BBC said, “World Cup 2002 finally showed the planet that the U.S. are capable of playing quality football at the highest level.” The United States also made an impact back at home. Television ratings for the match against Germany broke the all-time record for the most watched soccer match in United States’ history, despite being on in the morning. The game also shattered the rating for most viewers, aged between 18-34 and male, watching a program in the morning hours.
Major League Soccer, America’s domestic soccer league, was instrumental in the United States run to the quarterfinals of the World Cup. Fourteen of the twenty-three players on the United States roster play in Major League Soccer. It also is developing top young players beginning as young as age seventeen. These players will be the future of the United States Men’s National Team. It is essential for Major League Soccer to survive to continue to aid the development of these young players. Major League Soccer kicked off its eighth campaign on April 5th, 2003 with ten teams. The future of the league looks bright, as the 2002 MLS Cup attracted 61,000 fans to watch the New England Revolution lose to the Los Angeles Galaxy. However, not all is bright as the league builds it up to be. Major League Soccer contracted two teams before the 2002 season, the Tampa Bay Mutiny and the Miami Fusion FC. Major League Soccer claims it has only lost $250 million since its conception, but many believe that figure is much more (The Modesto Bee). The only franchise to turn a profit last season was the Columbus Crew. However, the Crew was the only franchise to be in a soccer specific stadium last season. There are plans for the LA Galaxy, Dallas Burn, and NY/NJ Metrostars to be in soccer specific stadiums by 2005. Kansas City and New England are also in “friendly” stadium deals. Major League Soccer believes that the soccer specific stadiums and friendly stadium deals are the key to turning profit for its investors. The league plans to add two teams by 2005. The requirements for expansion would be a soccer specific stadium and a commitment from an investor. Major League Soccer is also having its fair share of on the field problems. The problem has to do with the quality of play during matches. The league has seen a huge jump in quality of play since it folded those two teams in 2002. Major League Soccer knows that it must continue to improve the level of play, if it wants to attract hardcore soccer fans. Major League Soccer must also find a way to develop talent for the National Team pool, as this is one of the main purposes that its fans look for it to do. One solution is to develop youth squads for Major League Soccer franchises. There are many pros and cons to this. First, it would help develop talent to the fullest extent. Players would train in a professional environment with professional players, therefore maximizing their skills throughout their youth development. Unfortunately, Major League Soccer only has teams in ten cities. So what about those children who grow up in cities that do not have teams? This would also cost money, which right now Major League Soccer does not have a lot of. It would also cause an outrage among soccer clubs, as youth soccer in America is big business (more on this later).
American players who have developed their talent beyond Major League Soccer need to move to big European clubs. There are several benefits to moving abroad. First, they get to play against better competition if they move to the top leagues. Second, they make a significantly larger salary. Third, they get to enjoy a different lifestyle. The biggest thing, however, is the change of competition. This will benefit the National Team. A good example of this is Brad Freidel, who had a great World Cup. Freidel plays for the Blackburn Rovers, an English Premier League team. While playing for them, he gets to compete against the best players in the world and that obviously helped him out in the World Cup. Not all players want to go over seas. Landon Donovan spent two years with German powerhouse Bayern Leverkusen during his late teenager years. He returned to play in MLS when he was nineteen. He had the option to return back to Germany last summer but promptly turned down to stay with his MLS club, the San Jose Earthquakes.
The youth soccer system is set-up to benefit the rich and is completely flawed in developing top level talent for the United States. This may seem a bit irrational, but it is the truth. The United States has not even began to tap its potential soccer talent and until the system is changed, it will not. The current system goes along the lines of this. There are thousands of clubs scattered all across America which are Division 1 clubs. Division 1 is the top level of youth talent. Division 1 teams, also called traveling teams, play in competitive tournaments and try to reach the goal of making nationals. Sounds good so far, right? Well, the problem is these clubs charge outrageous fees in order for you to play for them. Many clubs charge $1500 a year in coaching fees alone. Basically, it amounts to a big business, in which they are ripping off parents of these kids. Inner-city kids who are interested in the game cannot afford to pay the money and therefore lose out on top level coaching and playing top level competition to develop their skills. They result instead to other sports or even worse gangs. Why not have teams in these areas? Sure, some areas that are lucky do, but most do not. Again, it all comes down to the fact that youth soccer is a business, and this needs to change immediately.
How can we change that? The answer is coaches. In order for coaches to know the game, however, they must be properly taught it. Soccer is a confusing game. There is much more than just kicking the ball down the field like many assume. If more coaches who know the true nature of the game are available, you will see an incredible rise of talent in the youth players all across America. How do coaches learn the game? Well, the obvious answer is to play the game at a highly competitive level but again, not all have access to this growing up. Other answers is coaching clinics, reading books, watching videos, etc. If one truly wants to learn the game, they can.
The name Freddy Adu raises the heartbeat of United States soccer fans everywhere. This is odd, considering Freddy is thirteen. But he is known as the one who will put soccer in America on the map. Many people have already started comparing him to Tiger Woods, whose success transformed the game of golf. Freddy moved to the United States in 1997 from Ghana, after his mother won the lottery to move to the United States. Freddy became a citizen of the United States in February of 2003. He made his official debate with the U17 National Team against El Salvador during Youth World Cup qualifying. He had an assist and then toward the end of the match, he pulled a sick move, beating five defenders and putting the ball away for a goal and helping the United States to a 3-0 victory. The goal made ESPN’s Sportscenter Top Ten Plays list. It was truly magical pulled by a true magician of the game. There is one thing we have to remember though as we get caught up in all of this. Freddy is just thirteen. He is just a boy. Freddy made Sports Illustrated Who’s Next?, a feature that points out the next stars of sports. Basketball player LeBron James was the selection last year. “A blind man on a galloping horse can see his (Adu) talent,” DC United head coach Ray Hudson was quoted as saying in Sports Illustrated. “He has an unflinching confidence with the ball. Speed kills, and if you give him any room, he’ll break down your defenders,” Dave Sarachan, head coach of the MLS’s Chicago Fire (Sports Illustrated). Freddy scored 2 goals for the U17 National Team against the full pro side in a 2-1 victory. Freddy has the speed, the talent, the skills, and the work rate to perhaps be the best soccer player this world has ever seen. Until he matures, we will not know. A nation, fringed on the thought of their sport, soccer, going big time in their country, will hold their breath at the feet of a thirteen year old with a bright smile.
Will soccer ever make it big in America? That is a question that millions of people ponder and argue over everyday. There are those who desperately want to see soccer become big in America and those who want to see it fall flat on its face. For soccer to make it, it will have to continue to see the National Team succeed. The Gold Cup and Confederations Cup will be tests for the National Team that will take place in the summer of 2003. If the United States performs well, it will reaffirm the hopes of its fans nationwide. Major League Soccer will also have to shed its financial problems. Major League Soccer is not out of the woods yet, but it is clear that the trees are thinning. It will also have to continue to develop top young soccer talent. Are youth squads the answer to this quandary? Only time will tell. Top American players will have to move to Europe, at least until Major League Soccer becomes one of the world’s top leagues. Youth soccer will have to make drastic changes to its current set-up in order to fully reach its full potential. Will these changes be made? Hopefully in due time, but it may take years to drain out the business aspect of youth soccer. The game of soccer will struggle until it does that. Coaches will have to emerge to teach kids the how to truly play the game. This will come as more and more players go into coaching and more and more casual fans take the necessary steps to become quality coaches. Freddy Adu, emerging as a true world superstar would certainly do wonders for the game in America. Is a thirteen year old kid ready to step-up and carry the hopes of millions on his back? Again, only time will tell. Soccer, by far the most popular sport on the face of the earth, has yet to catch on to the same extent in America. Soccer is a game where children love to play and will do anything to play. All over the world, many will even go barefoot just so they can feel the magical touch of a soccer ball at their feet. Will soccer ever find itself a major player in the sports’ landscape of America? Will soccer ever make it big?

GoldenEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 02:22 AM   #2
MrBug708
Head Coach

I got 20 on the US with a busboy from work. He still thinks the American won soley because they got a bonus for advancing of 25000 dollars. I think a bigger draw would have been at the Rose Bowl or such, but then I'd be going to the game and probably out numbered. I'll be watching it though on the Spanish station
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 08:42 AM   #3
MJ4H
Coordinator

"Young American starlet Landon Donovan added another to put the USA up two to nil and that is how the match would end."

I love this line.

BTW If I'm not mistaken, a starlet is a female actress
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 12:30 PM   #4
MrBug708
Head Coach

Not in soccer and you're thinking of Harlot. But then again, Madonna isn't an actress
Old 05-08-2003, 01:18 PM   #5
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Myself and some futbol fans from across the USA are making plans for the Gold Cup Tripleheader at Gillette on July 12th. We'd be sitting in Sam's Army, which is a throw back to the days of the terraces. There are three rules.

1. You Stand for 90 minutes. You don't need your seats.

2. You sing with the rest of the Army.

3. No corporate noisemakers (such as those inflatable noise sticks). Just drums, your voice and your energy for 90 minutes.
Old 05-08-2003, 01:32 PM   #6
MJ4H
Coordinator

No I was thinking of starlet.

From dictionary.com -

starlet
A young film actress publicized as a future star.

another definition listed is "A small star." This could be what he was going for, but I think a more common usage is the young actress.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 02:41 PM   #7
MrBug708
Head Coach

Ya, I know. I think its a British, or at least European term. They use it in the CM series
Old 05-08-2003, 03:45 PM   #8
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I stole the term from CM.

Example - Arsenal pursues English U21 starlet Ashley Cole.

P.S. - I know, I know. Cole plays for Arsenal, but it is just an example.

I want to join Sam's Army one day. But as a college student I really dont have the money to travel right now.
Old 05-08-2003, 03:45 PM   #9
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Dola -

I got a B+ on the paper. I thought it should have been an A.
Old 05-08-2003, 05:55 PM   #10
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Golden Eagle: That's ok, you're with us in spirit. if you're watching the game on TV, stand for the full 90 minutes

Interesting thing: One of the three games on 7/12 is a Metrostars-Revs game (the middle game between Canada-Costa Rica and USA-El Salvador). We're sitting in the Fort, the home of the Midnight Riders, the Rev's "Army". My Friend Pete? Metros fan.

Should be interesting
Old 05-08-2003, 07:44 PM   #11
henry296
College Starter

I am watching the USMNT vs. Mexico. I missed the beginning, why is the game is at Reliant Stadium, the field so soggy? Isn't Reliant a dome or at least retractable roof?

Todd
Old 05-08-2003, 07:49 PM   #12
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Man, this rivalry is getting ugly.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 10:58 PM   #13
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Decent game. Not much quality play but what else can you expect in a rivalry game?